Tech vs Clemson, it's actually very easy to explain

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It didn't start raining until about an hour before kickoff
True, but when it did it opened up more then was anticipated. And it kept up. Most everybody was slipping and sliding out there by the end of the first quarter.

That causes problems for an O that depends on speed and reads; you could see the difference when Matthew came in and started running up the middle with straight drive blocking. It also causes problems for a D that depends on quickness to generate a rush. And, of course, most of all it creates problems for pass coverage. This isn't solely a Tech problem, but it did make coverage much more tricky in the first half. As the game wore on, the problems for the Tigger WRs got as bad as for our DBs (that Bryant is no more efficient on long throws then Watson was helped).

So, short TTP: the rain and the field hurt us a lot worse then it hurt them.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This Clemson game bothered me because for the third time they stomped us and it looks like we cannot even play with them much less beat them. I accept Tech has less talent than the top tier in football and as a result will not blowout lower talent week in and week out like an Alabama and that we will lose more to top tier than we win. But I do expect to have a chance and right now against Clemson we look beaten before the game starts. Just a little history.

Miami - we have losses to them but few have been blowouts. 12,16,17 were all games we lost but could have won. In 16 we weirdly had 2 defensive TD's on consecutive series and yet still had a chance. Average score since 2011 of 24-32

VT - they have beat us more than we have beat them but a lot of close games. Average score since 2011 is 22-24.

UGA - They have destroyed us when they had great teams and we did not have a good team but generally tight games with only one blowout in last 10 years. Throw out 12 when we knew we were going to get beat and average score since 2011 is 23-27 with one loss in OT.

FSU - we have had great success against them.

Clemson - We have had success with them in the past but not lately. Average score last 3 years of 14-31 and seems like it should be worse. I know series go in streaks and Clemson is on a good run but this seems more than a streak. I think we are getting out coached or out schemed on top of out talented. But whatever, I don't like going into games and feel like we have no chance.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
This Clemson game bothered me because for the third time they stomped us and it looks like we cannot even play with them much less beat them. I accept Tech has less talent than the top tier in football and as a result will not blowout lower talent week in and week out like an Alabama and that we will lose more to top tier than we win. But I do expect to have a chance and right now against Clemson we look beaten before the game starts. Just a little history.

Miami - we have losses to them but few have been blowouts. 12,16,17 were all games we lost but could have won. In 16 we weirdly had 2 defensive TD's on consecutive series and yet still had a chance. Average score since 2011 of 24-32

VT - they have beat us more than we have beat them but a lot of close games. Average score since 2011 is 22-24.

UGA - They have destroyed us when they had great teams and we did not have a good team but generally tight games with only one blowout in last 10 years. Throw out 12 when we knew we were going to get beat and average score since 2011 is 23-27 with one loss in OT.

Clemson - We have had success with them in the past but not lately. Average score last 3 years of 14-31 and seems like it should be worse. I know series go in streaks and Clemson is on a good run but this seems more than a streak. I think we are getting out coached or out schemed on top of out talented. But whatever, I don't like going into games and feel like we have no chance.
I guess I'm just more optimistic than that. Going into the game I thought we had a shot. Even down 14-3 I felt like we could cut it to 14-10 and settle down. It didn't turn out like that, but I didn't feel like we had no chance before the game started.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I guess I'm just more optimistic than that. Going into the game I thought we had a shot. Even down 14-3 I felt like we could cut it to 14-10 and settle down. It didn't turn out like that, but I didn't feel like we had no chance before the game started.

Mathematically speaking, yes there is always a chance. But after seeing what you saw, if these teams played 100 times, how many would GT win? 2? 5? imo, 10 would be the absolute ceiling. And I think that is extremely generous.The game is won and lost in the trenches.
I don't fault our coaches and players. Just like the Cleveland Browns, they change constantly. But their is one constant - the 'management" if you will. I think that is why we have had attrition at the AD spot. Unlike the Browns, the players and coaches have allowed us to overcome (to the extent possible) leadership that is indifferent. Todd may have the horsepower, will and stamina to effect change where it is most truly needed. If not, he too will move on to work for different "ownership" if I may continue the NFL analogy. Nobody likes to work under restrictions or micromanagement.

CPJ is 5-6 against Clemson, but 1-4 for the last five. Dabo took a while to get things in place, but now they are a juggernaut. The talent gap is tremendous, and has been growing in recent years. We aren't ever going to be Clemson, but take heart, Clemson is NEVER going to be Georgia Tech. We just don't have a Parks & Recreation major and we shouldn't want one.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Exactly, as an example, look at our 2014 season. That was probably one of the best we have had under CPJ, but look what happened when we played FSU that year in the ACC championship, pretty much the same as when we play Clemson now. Clemson is the Alabama of the ACC now. I hate that we are not even close in terms of competitiveness now compared to years back, but that's just going to be the nature of it now. As CPJ said in his last presser recruiting is tough right out of the gate just because of the nature of the school, the education, the budget and that schools like Clemson have more fans show up on a rainy game then most games at Tech when it's not rainy.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is 5-6 against Clemson, but 1-4 for the last five. Dabo took a while to get things in place, but now they are a juggernaut. The talent gap is tremendous, and has been growing in recent years. We aren't ever going to be Clemson, but take heart, Clemson is NEVER going to be Georgia Tech. We just don't have a Parks & Recreation major and we shouldn't want one.

What year did Venables get there? When he leaves i think we will get back to winning games. Much like ugag and Miami They have always had a defense full of nfl prospects, especially Dline.

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly, as an example, look at our 2014 season. That was probably one of the best we have had under CPJ, but look what happened when we played FSU that year in the ACC championship, pretty much the same as when we play Clemson now. Clemson is the Alabama of the ACC now. I hate that we are not even close in terms of competitiveness now compared to years back, but that's just going to be the nature of it now. As CPJ said in his last presser recruiting is tough right out of the gate just because of the nature of the school, the education, the budget and that schools like Clemson have more fans show up on a rainy game then most games at Tech when it's not rainy.
I'm not following the 2014 FSU comparison. We put 35 points and 465 total yards of offense that game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Just two comments:

a) We had back to back games with them up there in 12 and 13. This did not help the overall record; there is such a thing as home field advantage. Still, there's no denying that they're more talented then Tech is. That also doesn't help.

b) They beat us this year, but - check the stats - we had 198 yards rushing against them. On a dry field it would have been a more even match. We had trouble with the passing mostly due to not getting the running up to snuff.

We'll see about them next year at Grant Field.

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
The fact that CPJ and Marshall both would like "to play them again" should alleviate any concerns about being able to compete with Clemson. We hurt ourselves too much that game.