Tech vs Clemson, it's actually very easy to explain

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I do give Venables credit. He calls a good game and has his guys ready to go. It's just absurd to claim one coach is "schooling" another with scheme when there are definite disparities in talent they have available.

For sure. As much as this might blow some minds, it is possible for CPJ and the coaches on the other sideline to both be good coaches. And to be fair, based on salaries, Clemson’s coaching staff should be way way better than ours.

CPJ is the 40th highest paid coach at about $2.9 million. And he is also our offensive coordinator. For comparison, Dabo is the 2nd highest paid head coach and makes $8.5 million, and Clemson has two co-offensive coordinators that each make $800k. So, for those counting, we spend $2.9 mil vs Clemson’s $10.1 mil on head and offensive coaching.

On Defense, Roof makes $750k, while Venables is the second highest paid assistant in the country at over twice that at $1.7million.

For heavens sake, their strength and conditioning coach makes $450k!!! No joke. I believe that would make him our third highest paid coach. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.greenvilleonline.com/amp/97382952

So, while I don’t exactly know enough to say what percent of yesterday’s loss was due to being out-coached, I can confidently say that we SHOULD be getting outcoached based on the crazy difference in staff salaries. I would be much more upset with CPJ if he was making $7million and folks were complaining he shouldn’t be out-coached by Clemson.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
The fact is Clemson’s defense played like they are capable of playing. No one in the country would’ve run the ball on them last night. Our passing game has to get much better to give our running game a chance against teams like this. I imagine uga game is gonna look a lot like this game did if we can’t get them on their heels some.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind also. Don't know if this has been said, and I don't want to go back and read 6 pages of comments, but . . . ACC gave Clemson an extra week against us for the 2nd year in a row. Clemson has enough of a talent gap on us that if the ACC keeps scheduling this way, with even a slight advantage for them, we'll never beat them. It's one thing for the league to try to protect their bell cow one time against a division crossover opponent they won't face for 7 years. But this is someone we have the disadvantage of facing every year.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind also. Don't know if this has been said, and I don't want to go back and read 6 pages of comments, but . . . ACC gave Clemson an extra week against us for the 2nd year in a row. Clemson has enough of a talent gap on us that if the ACC keeps scheduling this way, with even a slight advantage for them, we'll never beat them. It's one thing for the league to try to protect their bell cow one time against a division crossover opponent they won't face for 7 years. But this is someone we have the disadvantage of facing every year.
I sometimes wonder if GT is the Redheaded Stepchild of the ACC! That is why I would love for GT to go back to the SEC sometime in the future.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
For sure. As much as this might blow some minds, it is possible for CPJ and the coaches on the other sideline to both be good coaches. And to be fair, based on salaries, Clemson’s coaching staff should be way way better than ours.

CPJ is the 40th highest paid coach at about $2.9 million. And he is also our offensive coordinator. For comparison, Dabo is the 2nd highest paid head coach and makes $8.5 million, and Clemson has two co-offensive coordinators that each make $800k. So, for those counting, we spend $2.9 mil vs Clemson’s $10.1 mil on head and offensive coaching.

On Defense, Roof makes $750k, while Venables is the second highest paid assistant in the country at over twice that at $1.7million.

For heavens sake, their strength and conditioning coach makes $450k!!! No joke. I believe that would make him our third highest paid coach. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.greenvilleonline.com/amp/97382952

So, while I don’t exactly know enough to say what percent of yesterday’s loss was due to being out-coached, I can confidently say that we SHOULD be getting outcoached based on the crazy difference in staff salaries. I would be much more upset with CPJ if he was making $7million and folks were complaining he shouldn’t be out-coached by Clemson.

You forgot to mention how much more their athletes are paid than ours are paid.

We are getting out-coached in recruiting. Otherwise, not so much. Both lines of scrimmage were dominated by superior athletes. That's football, and it's that simple.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
What’s crazy though is that it’s not like we had to light it up on offense last night to have a chance to win. Say we don’t turn it over on the first drive to give them a short field and then we punch it in the end zone from first and goal at the nine...the game is at least closer for sure.

What frustrated me last night and what has for a while is that CPJ gets stubborn when we aren’t able to execute a play and dials the same thing back up several times. I felt like the midline and follow plays would have worked really well last night, but we will never know because the only one I remember being run was the one with Jordan.

I think we could do a better job of anticipating and game planning against really good players rather than waiting to adjust until we see what they are going to do. Probably doesn’t make much of a difference in the outcome, but it might make it more fun to watch.

Maybe we should hire an OC?

Is everyone forgetting that Clutson has always had an advantage athletically. We've not been dominated by them until the last 4 yrs. We found ways to beat them or you could say out coach. We are one dimensional on offense and they've seen it for how many years now. Their offense is vastly different now than it was when Paul arrived at Tech. We have a harder preparing for them than they do us.

I get so sick of hearing the talent gap if y’all that are alumni feel that way petition The Hill to drop us down a league or just drop football period. Smdh

Animal02

Banned
I get so sick of hearing the talent gap if y’all that are alumni feel that way petition The Hill to drop us down a league or just drop football period. Smdh
I am sick of people ignoring the reality that there are programs with better athletes, and that on any given day, there is a high probability that they would beat Tech.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has lost three games in four seasons, and has lost one home game in four seasons. Guess what, we aren't the only team that has trouble beating them!

Yep. Dabo has got this machine firing on all cylinders. Clemson has a very good team but probably not as good as the one they had last year but man they have talent just about everywhere.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
What frustrated me last night and what has for a while is that CPJ gets stubborn when we aren’t able to execute a play and dials the same thing back up several times. I felt like the midline and follow plays would have worked really well last night, but we will never know because the only one I remember being run was the one with Jordan.

It's awful easy to pin all this blame on the coach. I saw a QB, who has so far been an excellent QB, make a LOT of horrible reads and bad decisions. I don't think we will ever know the full extent of it, but I am sure that a lot of our problems weren't play calling, but play execution.

Also, the OL whiffing on so many blocks wasn't helping our QB either.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Yep. Dabo has got this machine firing on all cylinders. Clemson has a very good team but probably not as good as the one they had last year but man they have talent just about everywhere.
What has helped Dabo he is more of a CEO and not so much a coach. He has the money to hire the best assistant coaches he can find and lets them coach.