Tech vs Clemson, it's actually very easy to explain

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Venables is completely selling out to stop the run and PJ can do absolutely nothing to stop it. The scheme that Venables is running is not new or confusing. What is confusing to me is how PJ refuses to adjust to do anything different. At this point he should install some new package just for Clemson. Playing the same way and getting beat the same way and then just chalking it up to better athletes isn't good enough.

I bet if you have "the plan" then CPJ would hire you or at least pay you as a consultant.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The way the corners were flying up and the inability of the A backs to get them on the ground basically doomed the outside plays. One stuck in my mind, early only a nicely timed pitch to JJ and Qua whiffed on his block causing the play to blow up. The lead A back HAS to get his block!

This ^^^ makes a BIG difference on the outcome of the play.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It's easy to look good against inferior competition. It's like a High School baseball team facing little league teams. Some people on here need to get rid of their defeatist attitudes and quit listening to the sports radio programs.

Love the analogy. (y)
I made a similar one (prior to my current entry) because I am just know reading yours.
(Was out enjoying leaf colors and snow in the Smoky Mountains yesterday and today.)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Is everyone forgetting that Clutson has always had an advantage athletically. We've not been dominated by them until the last 4 yrs. We found ways to beat them or you could say out coach. We are one dimensional on offense and they've seen it for how many years now. Their offense is vastly different now than it was when Paul arrived at Tech. We have a harder preparing for them than they do us.
Kevin Steele under dabo verses brent venables under dabo is night and day. Dabo just watches and recruits. .

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMO, there are 3 teams we play every year that easily "out talent" us before we even step on the field: Clemson, UGA, and Miami.

Look at our records against them since CPJ has taken over. Outside of Tommy Bowden's last years at Clemson and Dabo's first few years getting his footing as a HC, our records against the 3 are not pretty. I don't think we've ever gone 3-0 against that group in the same year. Even when we do everything right, our margin for error in those games is still slim.

VT has been our biggest "rival" in the Coastal, but it's not like they blow us away talent-wise, though they are starting to pull further away. Our games against them have been very competitive for the most part. They just have one of the best DCs in all of college football.

The point is, GT is in the same boat as every other team in the ACC. There are certain teams that are just loaded with talent every year (Clemson, FSU, Miami, possibly Louisville). Unless it's "one of those years" for your team where you have experience and above average talent at certain positions, you're gonna be in an uphill battle with those teams before you step on the field. Sucks, but that's just the reality of the situation...and it's a situation that plays itself out in every conference. There are a few teams with that can just out recruit the rest of the teams in the League.

Even if we go 0-3 or 0-4 against those teams, GT can still have a 9+ win season. I've said it for a while, GT can easily be a 9+ win team every year. GT is on par in terms of coaching, talent, and facilities with the vast majority of the ACC. If we take care of the teams we're suppose to take care of, and can pull out a win against one or more of the teams I named above, that's a special 2009/2014 type season for us.

DCjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
1st time posting and enjoy reading all of the posts. Got a question though..

Didn’t we hire PJ to offset this talent gap? Isn’t his innovative offense supposed to neutralize the superior talent? If not, why are we still running this offense? Kids w talent don’t want to play in this offense nor practice against it. I’m disappointed that we didn’t compete. It seems that we were running the same plays even though it wasn’t working (granted nothing was working..).

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I agree. But OUR excellent coaching will get beat by THEIR excellent coaching 9 times out of 10 because of the talent gap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or 6 out of 11, but who’s counting at a time like this....

Our excellent coaching wasn’t all that excellent on Thursday night though. Tough to beat those guys anyhow, but I think that was an all around loss. Missed assignments, bad reads, bad coaching, turnovers, etc. Try again next year...

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What team is beating Clemson on a regular basis? Syracuse? Would you like to change records?

Do you want to be Virginia? BC? WF? Syracuse? Are there any other school with equal size programs you would like to trade records?

CPJ gives us a chance to compete despite the significant changes to college football that few are to dense to see. There is no more hiding players for GT. They have to be able to do GT school.

The only way for you to get this issue is to go through several season under a different coach like GSU with even a larger hurdle. I am not saying that no other system will work... but I am saying GT will stil struggle to compete with the top tier teams with any good coach. Good luck keeping a good coach at GT... thank goodness that CPJ was too stubborn to leave.

This is not JV versus Varsity. This is USA versus France. The money spent on defense is not comparable and not even in the same solar system.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
It's awful easy to pin all this blame on the coach. I saw a QB, who has so far been an excellent QB, make a LOT of horrible reads and bad decisions. I don't think we will ever know the full extent of it, but I am sure that a lot of our problems weren't play calling, but play execution.

Also, the OL whiffing on so many blocks wasn't helping our QB either.
My belief is that our QB had to read faster and react faster because of the very fast and athletic defense!

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
It's easy to "out scheme" when you have 4 and 5 star players starters and back ups.
Would be like a Top 20 High School Varsity team playing a junior varsity players. The JV might make some plays, but...

Other than Dabo's "charisma", here's another example of why CU is able to recruit better athletes than GT or some other ACC schools (UNCheat excluded). My daughter is interested in sports broadcasting, and CU has a degree in Sports Communications, so she became interested in going to CU. She went to a Sports Communication camp at CU this year, and someone from that degree program (I believe it was the head of the program) spoke to her class. She told him she was interested in coming into that program, and he advised her that it would probably not be a good fit. He stated the program is not geared toward broadcasting or journalism, but more toward social media. She laughed and said it is basically a 4 year degree on how to tweet. He then told her that you have to apply to get accepted into the program since it is limited to only 30 new students per year, and the vast majority (if not all) of the 30 are generally football and basketball players, and the remainder are usually other athletes.

Someone else posted that Dabo is a CEO, so using that analogy, it would be hard to recruit/hire someone for GT Engineering, Inc. by telling them they are going to have to spend long hours working on complex engineering projects when that same person can get hired by CU Entertainment, Inc. who is telling them they will pay them more and not assign any job duties other than to play wiffle ball and play video games.

Animal02

Banned
IMO, there are 3 teams we play every year that easily "out talent" us before we even step on the field: Clemson, UGA, and Miami.

Look at our records against them since CPJ has taken over. Outside of Tommy Bowden's last years at Clemson and Dabo's first few years getting his footing as a HC, our records against the 3 are not pretty. I don't think we've ever gone 3-0 against that group in the same year. Even when we do everything right, our margin for error in those games is still slim.

VT has been our biggest "rival" in the Coastal, but it's not like they blow us away talent-wise, though they are starting to pull further away. Our games against them have been very competitive for the most part. They just have one of the best DCs in all of college football.

The point is, GT is in the same boat as every other team in the ACC. There are certain teams that are just loaded with talent every year (Clemson, FSU, Miami, possibly Louisville). Unless it's "one of those years" for your team where you have experience and above average talent at certain positions, you're gonna be in an uphill battle with those teams before you step on the field. Sucks, but that's just the reality of the situation...and it's a situation that plays itself out in every conference. There are a few teams with that can just out recruit the rest of the teams in the League.

Even if we go 0-3 or 0-4 against those teams, GT can still have a 9+ win season. I've said it for a while, GT can easily be a 9+ win team every year. GT is on par in terms of coaching, talent, and facilities with the vast majority of the ACC. If we take care of the teams we're suppose to take care of, and can pull out a win against one or more of the teams I named above, that's a special 2009/2014 type season for us.
How many times have UM won the division and how many times had Tech since CPJs arrival?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Was at the game last night , no doubt the rain played a factor as well as just the overall size and speed of Clemson. I'm still salty and frustrated about being embarrassed on national TV again. We talk up this offense all the time , when it works it's beautiful, when it doesn't it's unwatchable.
Im just wondering now if our program can keep up with the other Acc schools. Clemson, VT, Miami are all real threats and just seem to have gotten stronger over the past 2 years
I wouldn't argue with the last part at all. The league has "coached up" and the difference is telling.

WrexRacer

Georgia Tech Fan

2008 we beat Clem, Miami, and UGa
2014 losses to Duke, UNC, and FSU only.

Very few teams are going to beat those 3 in a single season more than sporadically. O'Leary couldn't with a multiple/option look, Gailey couldn't with a prostyle O.