Tech v duh U postgame!

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
If I weren't too lazy, I'd look it up, but I thought what you described is the rule for 1st downs. IIuc, the clock stops until the next snap for out of bounds.
I believe Hjacket is correct. I remember in the Duke game thinking the clock would stop for us when the players ran out of bounds, but as long as there was over 2 minutes left, it started back when the ball was spotted for play.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
excellent point. I had forgotten (blocked out??) what a dumpster fire we were before finding Mr. Wells.

I think it’s more accurate to state that Wells came on as a true freshman walk-on kicker at the beginning of fall practice when the team already had two other kickers on scholarship, and struggled in learning how to placekick off the ground without a kicking tee like he had done before in high school.

It took a few weeks or so of constant practicing and repetition before Wells was able to consistently get the hang of it. Once he did, Coach put him in. And the results over the past several games speak for itself!

Soooooo, we didn’t find him. He showed up as a walk-on! And with determination and desire, and diligent practice, he has succeeded in making himself into a consistent and accurate college placekicker! He has earned it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

People upset about what's in that video? From the sound of things I thought the U had put the Ramblin' Wreck up on blocks or something.

I don't think anybody is losing sleep over it. We're more just making fun of their thuggish immature behavior. And then Richt said they were just praying when the topic came up, which was BS.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s more accurate to state that Wells came on as a true freshman walk-on kicker at the beginning of fall practice when the team already had two other kickers on scholarship, and struggled in learning how to placekick off the ground without a kicking tee like he had done before in high school.

It took a few weeks or so of constant practicing and repetition before Wells was able to consistently get the hang of it. Once he did, Coach put him in. And the results over the past several games speak for itself!

Soooooo, we didn’t find him. He showed up as a walk-on! And with determination and desire, and diligent practice, he has succeeded in making himself into a consistent and accurate college placekicker! He has earned it.
As I said elsewhere, he reminds me of Luke Manget. Same limited range, same accuracy, and, above all else, same ability to get the ball up in the air without sacrificing range. It was almost impossible to block one of Manget's kicks if he could get it off. I think the same thing is true of Welles. I'm glad he decided to come to Tech.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Great game ... ball security, big (crucial) plays in the passing game and killing-out the clock to seal the deal at the end !!
I have complained about CPJ and a lack of progress, I'll give CPJ his due on this game ...
Not sure how this happened (must be alcohol related), but I forgot to record the game ... does anyone know if there is a replay this week on ESPN ?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Can we put this to bed finally? Miami has no class and is a bunch of thugs, endorsed by Coach Richt. (See video at bottom).

In that video you can't see that the Miami players were going thru the line before the GT players had all passed. A couple of officials actually got the Miami players to back up to allow the GT players to enter the field. Then those players went up to the student section and had words with the students. I have no idea what they said, but I doubt it was "God bless you". If it was a "prayer group", they must have been praying for forgiveness for attempting to start a fight with the GT players and shouting obscenities at the GT students.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If I weren't too lazy, I'd look it up, but I thought what you described is the rule for 1st downs. IIuc, the clock stops until the next snap for out of bounds.

They changed the rule to keep games from taking longer than 3-1/2 hours. Most GT games don't last anywhere near 3-1/2 hours. With all of the RPO offenses, my thought is that if the intent is really to keep games shorter, they should restart the clock on incomplete passes once the ball is set. If they treat incomplete passes like out of bounds plays, then the length of games and the number of plays per game will drop significantly.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
People upset about what's in that video? From the sound of things I thought the U had put the Ramblin' Wreck up on blocks or something.

What people were upset about was to the left of that video. If the Miami players had waited until the GT players were on the field before charging through the line, people would not be upset about it. I am sure that there is video of the entire incident somewhere, but I haven't seen one.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
In yet another post revealing a bit about my age, I really, really dislike public displays of gloating and poor sportsmanship such as this and the one by JJ above. Trash talking on the field, in the heat of battle is OK and to be expected (and enjoyed). But after the fact, not so much. If you will excuse me, I have to take my pills and yell at the kids on my lawn.
I'll file this under "don't start none, won't be none". I'm generally not a fan of post-game trash talk, but Miami absolutely brings it on themselves with their childish BS they try to pull like crowding our team's entrance. Then there's the plays like the one where the Miami blocker throws his guy to the ground a solid 10 yards outside the field of play (no call, natch), and you KNOW they are constantly talking all kinds of smack throughout the game. In that case, it's perfectly warranted to fire off some smack talk to send them on their way.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts on our players smack talk after the game. They did a good job of not lowering themselves to Miami's level during the game and get personal fouls. If they needed to smack talk after it to relieve a little frustration, I am 100% OK with that. They did a good job during the game.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts on our players smack talk after the game. They did a good job of not lowering themselves to Miami's level during the game and get personal fouls. If they needed to smack talk after it to relieve a little frustration, I am 100% OK with that. They did a good job during the game.
At least GT stayed classy unlike during the Tennessee-Kentucky game where at one point all 22 players on the field were given an unsportsmanlike warning because of smack talk and fighting:rolleyes:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

I agree but Parker also made sure it didn't go too far :D He got into more than 1 miami player's grill

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
According to Richt it was a prayer group meeting. His prayer groups are a little different than most.
xmuojnA.gif

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Great game ... ball security, big (crucial) plays in the passing game and killing-out the clock to seal the deal at the end !!
I have complained about CPJ and a lack of progress, I'll give CPJ his due on this game ...
Not sure how this happened (must be alcohol related), but I forgot to record the game ... does anyone know if there is a replay this week on ESPN ?
See GT Bob channel on youtube. Posted yesterday afternoon.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In that video you can't see that the Miami players were going thru the line before the GT players had all passed. A couple of officials actually got the Miami players to back up to allow the GT players to enter the field. Then those players went up to the student section and had words with the students. I have no idea what they said, but I doubt it was "God bless you". If it was a "prayer group", they must have been praying for forgiveness for attempting to start a fight with the GT players and shouting obscenities at the GT students.

The gt miami game - 2 years ago. I had a field pass to see the ramblin wrek lead the team on to field. After they went out, a few miami players went and knelt on our goal line. No issues. (ND does this as well)

This year the timing of the Wrek Gt players coming out was delayed. If it had been on time then it would not have involved our players.

THEN IT COULD HAVE CLEARLY BEEN SEEN AS SOLELY MIAMI BUSH LEAGUE.

Next time the student section should give them the old MOON OVER MIAMI!