Tech v duh U postgame!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I still can’t figure out, how in Hades can you have a losing season at Miami, Florida, or FSU?
How do you coach down a roster full of five and four star recruits? FSU has the number three ranked 5 year recruiting class in the nation. Miami is number nine. How do you lose with all that talent?

I doubt it has to do completely with poor coaching. I think inflated recruiting rankings due to school reputation has a lot to do with it.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
How do you coach down a roster full of five and four star recruits? FSU has the number three ranked 5 year recruiting class in the nation. Miami is number nine. How do you lose with all that talent?

I doubt it has to do completely with poor coaching. I think inflated recruiting rankings due to school reputation has a lot to do with it.
I think it's called character something the Tech looks for in our players while others don't they only look for stars

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck

OL recruiting seems rather fickle, and seems to have a lot of "want to" associated with it that's somewhat hard to tell on tape.

If you look at FSU and UM, they have horrible OL right now. Most of their guys were highly recruited, so I'm wondering whether its motivation or bad coaching?

I think our offense helps on OL, since you almost have to want to to even consider coming here. I think that helped us with Parker Braun among others.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
OL recruiting seems rather fickle, and seems to have a lot of "want to" associated with it that's somewhat hard to tell on tape.

If you look at FSU and UM, they have horrible OL right now. Most of their guys were highly recruited, so I'm wondering whether its motivation or bad coaching?

I think our offense helps on OL, since you almost have to want to to even consider coming here. I think that helped us with Parker Braun among others.

I heard a cfb guy speaking on OL play at the college level and why so many supposed powers had poor OL play.

Basically said the proliferation of "spread" offenses at the HS level where guy really don't actually block. Makes evaluation tough.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I heard a cfb guy speaking on OL play at the college level and why so many supposed powers had poor OL play.

Basically said the proliferation of "spread" offenses at the HS level where guy really don't actually block. Makes evaluation tough.

This makes a lot of sense. When i played obviously i played in a flexbone veer ( though one year we had a kid that could sling it so it was more run and shoot out of gun flex) our blocking schemes were a hell of alot more complicated than the one year i spent under a spread system. That scheme was basically step left step right, even run blocking was focused more on creating log james to allow the rb to read the zone than creating holes. You also rarely went more than 1-3 yards down field even on run plays so that everything looked liek a potential pass. IF kids are growing up in these systems its no wonder we have a hard time finding ready lineman for our system.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This makes a lot of sense. When i played obviously i played in a flexbone veer ( though one year we had a kid that could sling it so it was more run and shoot out of gun flex) our blocking schemes were a hell of alot more complicated than the one year i spent under a spread system. That scheme was basically step left step right, even run blocking was focused more on creating log james to allow the rb to read the zone than creating holes. You also rarely went more than 1-3 yards down field even on run plays so that everything looked liek a potential pass. IF kids are growing up in these systems its no wonder we have a hard time finding ready lineman for our system.

Yup. The guy also suggested that it's obvious which schools are using Rivals recruiting rankings and highlight videos to recruit for them. All they see is the bigger kid beastin' on smaller guys in highlight videos. Then, when he gets to the d1 level, he has no idea what to do against a guy who's legitimately pass-rushing.

Makes it 'make sense' how places like FSU have so many recruiting misses despite all that mythical 8-star talent.

ETA: It was Matt Stinchcomb, btw. Didn't want to give a dawg credit but he spoke from an informed position and a lot of what he said made sense.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Taggart has lost the locker room and had lots of players quit on him. He isn't really a born leader and doesn't command the respect he needs. These kids are all told they are the greatest thing ever and he isn't able to reel in those egos. Charlie Strong had a similar issue at UT and ended up kicking a lot of those types of kids off the team, Taggart needs to man up and do the same if he wants to salvage the season and his career.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Taggart has lost the locker room and had lots of players quit on him. He isn't really a born leader and doesn't command the respect he needs. These kids are all told they are the greatest thing ever and he isn't able to reel in those egos. Charlie Strong had a similar issue at UT and ended up kicking a lot of those types of kids off the team, Taggart needs to man up and do the same if he wants to salvage the season and his career.
2019 i think will be Willie Taggart's farewell tour at FSU when the Criminoles go 4-8 or 5-7

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Do we have really good lb ? Did mia pass to their the top TE recruit? THATS A No and a No. Thanks coach MR.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Early in the season we had zero confidence in our FG unit, heck we couldn't kick the extra point consistently. Wesley Wells has made us less desperate for TDs and CPJ's strategy has adjusted.
That’s the first game where he did, actually. His only other FG was against VT. Should have kicked against UNC in the first half.