Tech v duh U postgame!

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I said earlier that kicking FG's instead of trying to make TD's was an important albeit overlooked component of last night's game. I am now wondering if this doesn't signify Paul's thinking towards CNW and the D. Is it possible that he thinks he is finally relieved of the burden of needing to make a TD on every possession? I was relieved that he followed conventional wisdom on those two possessions...and they made up the final score differential.
Early in the season we had zero confidence in our FG unit, heck we couldn't kick the extra point consistently. Wesley Wells has made us less desperate for TDs and CPJ's strategy has adjusted.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Our ball security in the game was great, i’m really proud of the improvements there

I am to. The team did a great job with ball security. I hope they can do this for more than one game. Seems like we did good once before this year and the next game the ball lived on the ground. This is the only reason why we could loose to Virginia next week.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Early in the season we had zero confidence in our FG unit, heck we couldn't kick the extra point consistently. Wesley Wells has made us less desperate for TDs and CPJ's strategy has adjusted.

I wish Davis still handled kickoffs.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I believe Coach Paul Johnson always prefers to receive the second half opening kickoff because he likes to make halftime adjustments to the blocking schemes based on what he observed from the opponent’s defense in the first half.

It almost always works, too.

This is why I agree with this strategy.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I believe Coach Paul Johnson always prefers to receive the second half opening kickoff because he likes to make halftime adjustments to the blocking schemes based on what he observed from the opponent’s defense in the first half.

It almost always works, too.

This is why I agree with this strategy.

There are other benefits too. By halftime coaches have a pretty good feel for the game. Knowing they will receive in the 2nd half helps make late 2nd qtr decisions regarding field goal tries, 4th down attempts, or gambling on some deep balls etc.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
It's too bad he didn't work out for FGs. I think his range is a lot further than Wells. Wells has been awesome for <35, but I don't think we really consider kicking one from much further than that.

I would not sell Wells short (no pun intended) on this one. Coach already knows what Wells has shown he can consistently do in practice this late in the season.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

excellent point. I had forgotten (blocked out??) what a dumpster fire we were before finding Mr. Wells.

Hjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the rule on out of bounds in college football is the clock stops on an out-of-bounds play only long enough for the officials to set the ball ready to play. The clock then is started again, except in the final two minutes of each half. I think he ran out of bounds with more than 2 minutes remaining and that is why Miami called time out. The ball hitting his hand was a fluke and not his fault.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Was the onside punt employed by Miami in the first half of the game Saturday night intentionally trying to hit one of our players? Or was it just a really poor rugby punt?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think the rule on out of bounds in college football is the clock stops on an out-of-bounds play only long enough for the officials to set the ball ready to play. The clock then is started again, except in the final two minutes of each half. I think he ran out of bounds with more than 2 minutes remaining and that is why Miami called time out. The ball hitting his hand was a fluke and not his fault.

If I weren't too lazy, I'd look it up, but I thought what you described is the rule for 1st downs. IIuc, the clock stops until the next snap for out of bounds.