Tech v duh U postgame!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If Taquon was judged to be the starter by CPJ, then he handled the QB the way it needed to be handled last night. What else would CPJ do, rotate QBs on a night where temperatures were in the thirties? Call it selective icing of our own QBs. Whoever, was in the game and getting into a lather needed to stay in the game unless injured. Standing on the sideline for 45 minutes watching your sub play two series after getting hot yourself makes no sense. If temps were in the 60s it would be a different story.

I know Juanyeh Thomas is trying to learn the defense and Rivera already knows it, but man, it is hard to keep him off the field. When he returns kicks, it is very evident how physical he really is. Even if he doesn't consistently make the right choices, he pulls through attempts to tackle him like a teenager does in the back yard when his little brother's friends are hanging all over him. I'm not so sure he shouldn't be an offensive player at some point. I'm thinking AB. Can you imagine the pop he would provide at that position, especially considering the new blocking rules?

Did anybody notice Jordan Mason's lead block on TM's TD run on the QB reverse sweep? He took a would be tackler and drove him 5 yards deep in the EZ. It looked like a scene from "Blind Side". I Thought he was going to push him into the oncoming traffic on North Avenue.
Did you see the seal block by Brad that made Mason’s block matter? A lot of unsung heroes last night, most had nothing to do with making a play on or with the ball.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I said earlier that kicking FG's instead of trying to make TD's was an important albeit overlooked component of last night's game. I am now wondering if this doesn't signify Paul's thinking towards CNW and the D. Is it possible that he thinks he is finally relieved of the burden of needing to make a TD on every possession? I was relieved that he followed conventional wisdom on those two possessions...and they made up the final score differential.

Yes.

And, we have a kicker who can actually make it.

/

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Richt insinuating that we were mimicking the cadence of their offense to cause them to jump.
That wasn't our team mimicking their calls! It was the 8 yo girl in the 3rd row behind their bench. I can see why Mark couldn't distinguish the difference.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They did it twice in a row...it was on purpose. I’ve been wondering for years why no one tries this. Just punt it into the crowd and hope it hits the defense.

I think you mean returning team rather than offense. Really great idea ...... as long as it hits us and not them.

It would have been a live ball for us to advance if it hit a UM player too.

It didn't go as far as a regular punt. The punt was only a 25 yard punt to the 30 yard line. So if you want to risk a lot shorter punt or you punter is really bad, go for it. It took a strange bounce to hit Cottrell, but that happens given the shape of the ball. This isn't futbol (soccer).

So it also makes sense if you want to roll the dice and not rely on your punt coverage.

As to being planned, ok whatever. If it's such a great idea, why did UM replace their punter after that punt? The Reverend needed a biblical fig leaf and said sure it was brilliant since it worked.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I think you mean returning team rather than offense. Really great idea ...... as long as it hits us and not them.

It would have been a live ball for us to advance if it hit a UM player too and didn't go as far as a regular punt. The punt was only a 25 yard punt to the 30 yard line. So if you want to risk a lot shorter punt or you punter is really bad, go for it.

So it also makes sense if you want to roll the dice and not rely on your punt coverage.

As to being planned, ok whatever. If it's such a great idea, why did UM replace their punter after that punt? The Reverend needed a biblical fig leaf and said sure it was brilliant since it worked.
from the stands the punter looked like he did things exactly the same from the first punt to the second. leads me to believe it was absolutely intentional. First punt missed our guys. 2nd one found the mark.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I love Juanyeh, too, but Malik is balling out. He leads this team in tackles. And avoiding mental mistakes is critical. Whenever I watch the “coaches film room” coverage they sometimes do on ESPN it’s evident that the majority of big plays on offense are due mental errors by the defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait....ESPN dedicated a whole show to GT defensive errors and breakdowns? Wow. :D

As a fan we all want to see the defense execute to perfection and get stops. I think Tech fans more than many get mioptic in this and sometimes fail to realize it ain’t just us suffering from busted assignments.

Huge room for improvement still but my eyes see a much better D finishing the year than what started at the beginning.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@dressedcheeseside said:
Do you guy realize Miami has the #15 best 5 yr recruiting average in the nation? GT’s rank wasn’t even listed in Rivals top 50!!! Oh, but every ACC opponent on our schedule is!
TE="684Bee, post: 486410, member: 3034"]It’s pretty impressive what we do with lesser talent.

I just looked up the number of players currently in the NFL. GT 10. UM 41. http://www.espn.com/nfl/college/_/letter/m

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Again, I realize that I am ithe minority nowadays, but I am of the opinion that poor behavior on the part of others doesn't justify poor behavior on my own part. I accept that this point of view is archaic and amusing to most nowadays. I think that this is sad. and disturbing. Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Apples and oranges. One team acted like thugs. The other is gloating a bit on social media in response after getting the W.

If we had sunk to duhU’s level there would have been a huge pre-game brawl. Our guys didn’t let their emotions run wild, didn’t get stupid penalties (a couple were simply trash flags by idiot refs) and they got the W. Poking fun on twitter afterwards is the least duhU deserves. Let a bully think you won’t fight back and get used to being bullied frequently. Piss on that.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
... or just let those folks bring their drinks back to their seats. What a ridiculous setup. "You can be in here with your drinks. Or you can be in your seats without." My toddler could tell you the outcome of that policy.

Also, we should sell beer throughout the stadium.
Or don’t show the game on monitors in the amenity area.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I said earlier that kicking FG's instead of trying to make TD's was an important albeit overlooked component of last night's game. I am now wondering if this doesn't signify Paul's thinking towards CNW and the D. Is it possible that he thinks he is finally relieved of the burden of needing to make a TD on every possession? I was relieved that he followed conventional wisdom on those two possessions...and they made up the final score differential.

Distance on those downs played a part imo. I think CPJ also had the feeling that points were gonna be coming at a premium in this game.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let a bully think you won’t fight back and get used to being bullied frequently. Piss on that.

as I said, I know my opinion is unpopular and outdated. You take care of bullies with your actions. Not your words. Which the players did on the field.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Ok tell me what CPJ was saying :)

8806231.jpeg

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Apples and oranges. One team acted like thugs. The other is gloating a bit on social media in response after getting the W.

If we had sunk to duhU’s level there would have been a huge pre-game brawl. Our guys didn’t let their emotions run wild, didn’t get stupid penalties (a couple were simply trash flags by idiot refs) and they got the W. Poking fun on twitter afterwards is the least duhU deserves. Let a bully think you won’t fight back and get used to being bullied frequently. Piss on that.
It's all about how fast u get better.

They are stuck in a rut.

When they get going they will be tough.

Now we are getting better in all phases.
We can put a whipping on people if we play smart, make plays, hustle.