Tech v duh U postgame!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I never would have believed that Tech could rush for 100 fewer yards than their season average and win this game. A testament to Miami miscues and Tech being opportunistic. We beat a team that started the season in the top 10. Not too shabby. As always, I was impressed with the Hurricanes speed and athleticism on defense. Imagine what Coach Woody could do with just a handful of players with that kind of talent. It came down to the final drive and we got it done. TaQuon was the player of the game for me. Outstanding effort by our team all around. Any year that we beat Virginia Tech and Miami is a good one in my book.
Miami has an outstanding run defense. And they call it "average" for a reason.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Shout out to @GT05 and @boger2337 for standing up and making noise for our boys.

It was nice to meet @GT05 who was nice enough to come over and say hello to me and boger. He breathed some much needed noise and life into section 102 :)

Also big thanks to @boger2337 for hooking me up with a Calvin bobble head I would have otherwise missed out on. It was fun screaming our heads off for our D together. My throat was literally in sore need of some whiskey clear when I got home.

Have a great weekend guys. Go Jackets!!!!

I'm just proud to be in a loud section. I think we all agree we aren't the loudest school. But we try and bring the noise in 101!

Yes! @GT05 thanks for coming over. It was awesome to meet more people from the forum and got me energized for the noise making!

@Whiskey_Clear thanks for being a great guy! We gotta have each others backs in today's world!

GO JACKETS!!!

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Did anybody notice Jordan Mason's lead block on TM's TD run on the QB reverse sweep? He took a would be tackler and drove him 5 yards deep in the EZ. It looked like a scene from "Blind Side". I Thought he was going to push him into the oncoming traffic on North Avenue.

That was pretty to watch, for sure. It looked like it was our B-Back flat play but designed for TQM to keep it and run since Mason was blocking like 10 yards down the field.

That was a great physical block, but I especially loved Juanyeh's "Boy, sit your stupid U butt down!" stiff arm on the muffed punt recovery.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If Taquon was judged to be the starter by CPJ, then he handled the QB the way it needed to be handled last night. What else would CPJ do, rotate QBs on a night where temperatures were in the thirties? Call it selective icing of our own QBs. Whoever, was in the game and getting into a lather needed to stay in the game unless injured. Standing on the sideline for 45 minutes watching your sub play two series after getting hot yourself makes no sense. If temps were in the 60s it would be a different story.

I know Juanyeh Thomas is trying to learn the defense and Rivera already knows it, but man, it is hard to keep him off the field. When he returns kicks, it is very evident how physical he really is. Even if he doesn't consistently make the right choices, he pulls through attempts to tackle him like a teenager does in the back yard when his little brother's friends are hanging all over him. I'm not so sure he shouldn't be an offensive player at some point. I'm thinking AB. Can you imagine the pop he would provide at that position, especially considering the new blocking rules?

Did anybody notice Jordan Mason's lead block on TM's TD run on the QB reverse sweep? He took a would be tackler and drove him 5 yards deep in the EZ. It looked like a scene from "Blind Side". I Thought he was going to push him into the oncoming traffic on North Avenue.
The qb relationship 8/16 was on clear display after the game ( sorry no pic).
TO and Tqm were horsing around in celebrating and TO ended up riding on Tqm s back - laughing together. No drama here. All team.
We love coming to bds

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I said earlier that kicking FG's instead of trying to make TD's was an important albeit overlooked component of last night's game. I am now wondering if this doesn't signify Paul's thinking towards CNW and the D. Is it possible that he thinks he is finally relieved of the burden of needing to make a TD on every possession? I was relieved that he followed conventional wisdom on those two possessions...and they made up the final score differential.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I said earlier that kicking FG's instead of trying to make TD's was an important albeit overlooked component of last night's game. I am now wondering if this doesn't signify Paul's thinking towards CNW and the D. Is it possible that he thinks he is finally relieved of the burden of needing to make a TD on every possession? I was relieved that he followed conventional wisdom on those two possessions...and they made up the final score differential.
I believe he made the call because unlike other games we did not need to score a TD. This wasn’t a USF shootout.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Again, I realize that I am ithe minority nowadays, but I am of the opinion that poor behavior on the part of others doesn't justify poor behavior on my own part. I accept that this point of view is archaic and amusing to most nowadays. I think that this is sad. and disturbing. Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I agree, and there is a spectrum of healthy gloating/ribbing that I think this belongs in.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought this was the best play call game Coach Johnson has had all season. He consistently had good runs called and all the passing calls where at just the right time.

I did not expect GT to run all over Miami and we didn't - but we rushed in line with what we have done against their D in previous years.
My only disappointment was not getting a TD after the muffed punt. You have to get 7 when you get the ball to start in the red zone.

But the O did a great job of keeping Miami off the field in the 4th quarter - they only had the ball once - and that makes it hard to win when you are down 2 TD's.
Great job of using his timeouts on that last drive so GT didn't even have to kick an easy FG and was able to run the clock out.

I remember thinking that last drive as we moved into the redzone the first thing I would tell my players is do not score a TD even if the defense lets you - fall down at the 1. Worst case scenario there is you end up having to kick a FG with little time on the clock to make it a 2 possession game and then give Miami no time to have to possessions or for something weird to happen, but it didn't even come to that.