Tech grad Todd Stansbury to be named new AD

wreckless

Georgia Tech Fan
How much are we on the hook for CPJ and for how long?

The contract extension signed in 2014 runs through 2020. If he's terminated he is owed full salary (~$3 million per year) through 2017 and $1 million per year for the final three years. He would owe us $750k if he leaves for another FBS job before 2020.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The contract extension signed in 2014 runs through 2020. If he's terminated he is owed full salary (~$3 million per year) through 2017 and $1 million per year for the final three years. He would owe us $750k if he leaves for another FBS job before 2020.
Yep. I think it basically comes down to next year for CPJ. A new AD isn't going to make a move like that in such little time and the money works out well after next year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I knew Todd fairly well in school. He was there the same time as me. He is a funny guy with a very very colorful personality. I guess you have to have a sense of humor if you were recruited to TECH after playing Canadian football your whole life. This will not be a repeat of myBob. Looking back, if I were to guess his future career, it would have been sales. I think a lot of us want more of that quality from this open position.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I knew Todd fairly well in school. He was there the same time as me. He is a funny guy with a very very colorful personality. I guess you have to have a sense of humor if you were recruited to TECH after playing Canadian football your whole life. This will not be a repeat of myBob. Looking back, if I were to guess his future career, it would have been sales. I think a lot of us want more of that quality from this open position.
This means you now have the AD's ear.

We have high expectations of you.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Doubt he remembers me.
Do-or-Do-Not-Yoda-Star-Wars.gif

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Uh, no. Contract provisions that force employees to pay their former employers if they take a job elsewhere are generally considered illegal restraints akin to "indentured servitude" and unenforceable regardless what the contract says. The relevant factors are generally the ones identified in my previous post. The law in this field is very much industry-by-industry and position-by-position specific, and I've never seen an analysis of where AD's fall on the spectrum.
Link Doesn't say that there was/wasn't but most likely was a buyout...
"When we were talking contract, I was hoping to get Georgia Tech an exemption from any type of buyout situation." Todd Stansbury

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
TGW: 360 DEGREES OF TODD STANSBURY
Alum, Former Linebacker Returns to The Flats as A.D.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/admin/spec-rel/092616aaa.html

Stansbury pointed to Dr. Rice and his Total Person Program, head football coach Bill Curry, who taught him "The Tech Way," ("You're only 18 years old and you think that this is the way they do it everywhere. Once you leave you find out this isn't the way they do it everywhere. There is a `Tech Way' and it's the right way.") and the entire College of Management, especially Dr. Phil Adler, ("They pushed me and showed me potential that I had that I didn't even know what I could become.") as three elements responsible for his life renaissance.

"Graduation is the beginning of the journey, not the end, so our focus will be on success of our student-athletes," he said. "Of course they're going to graduate, but what are they doing five and 10 years after graduation? If you look at what Georgia Tech athletes are doing five and 10 years after graduation, that is our differentiator. That is what sets us apart and that needs to be part of our brand."

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
There is no question GT is a unique animal with a unique value proposition.

I am hard-pressed to imagine a candidate with a better understanding of GT than Stansbury. He may be just the guy to bridge the gap between the academic wing and athletics and create the type of institutional support that (oh no you didn't/oh yes I did) Stanford has. I think the environment is ripe for this because we've really shored things up in the classroom with the football team rather than paying lip service to academics. Stay genuine and true to who you are and good things will happen.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Stansbury will have been here almost 2 years by end of 2017. I think PJ at least gets 2017 season to prove his longevity until 2020. He may not want to coach any longer after that. In 2017 he will have a new QB with a relatively experienced O and D with good special teams kickers coming in (if we can sign the 2 kicking commits). If he has a less than 7 win season this year, then I think he will be on an extremely hot seat in 2017. I personally hope he is very successful and is here as long as he chooses to be here. I do think he needs to open up parts of his passing game on 1st and 2nd downs rather than 3rd and long, and he needs to make some staff changes if his OL keeps missing assignments. That has been happening too much over too many seasons, and these are smart kids so something is not right with OL communication if this continues. Defense needs to tighten up on the corners in 3rd down situations, we make it too easy with so much cushion and no time for DL to get pressure. He must be giving TR a lot of latitude in how he wants to run the defense.
It will be interesting to see how much the new AD gets involved with the operations of the coaching staff. Will he force a staff change if PJ does not want to do it?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
All you mentioned are right at the top of my "want" list. Just interested in what facilities youthink need upgrading? Betterfootball schedule? absolutely, we just paid Mercer $400,000 to be a punching bag when all I hear is how bad our AD financies are. Drop all cupcakes, schedule home& home p-5 teams only. We might suffer some losses, but Tech fans will come out to see top competition

Facilities, from what I have heard coaches and insiders say, might include locker room and weight/training facilities. Might want to include better/increased Staff under that umbrella.

Scheduling - I can see no reason to have 2 home games vs mercer & gsu the same year. And that is nothing against either school.

Some will say "well, all the others are playing 2 teams like this". True, but we are not like the others right now. We do not sell out, we have to rebuild a brand. I think we need to do, to a degree, what Bowden did when he first went to FSU.

Most importantly, we need to get Todd here ASAP.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Facilities, from what I have heard coaches and insiders say, might include locker room and weight/training facilities. Might want to include better/increased Staff under that umbrella.

Scheduling - I can see no reason to have 2 home games vs mercer & gsu the same year. And that is nothing against either school.

Some will say "well, all the others are playing 2 teams like this". True, but we are not like the others right now. We do not sell out, we have to rebuild a brand. I think we need to do, to a degree, what Bowden did when he first went to FSU.

Do you think Georgia Tech will eventually schedule Kennesaw St? Tennessee is playing East Tennessee State in 2018 and i thought that would be a similar situation.

Attendance was darn good for Mercer; there just weren't enough Tech fans there. And I expect near sellout for GSU. I don't have any problems with scheduling both of them; after all, though not a power-5 team, GSU IS now FBS.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Attendance was darn good for Mercer; there just weren't enough Tech fans there. And I expect near sellout for GSU. I don't have any problems with scheduling both of them; after all, though not a power-5 team, GSU IS now FBS.
Yeah i think there would be a sizable crowd for the Georgia State game. I'd like to see GT add Appalachian State to their schedule in the future.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
@VolJacket That's Georgia Southern, not Georgia State.

@TheSilasSonRising GSU is a Group5 team now. I think our goal is 2 P5 teams (one being uga), 1 G5 team, and 1 FCS team for our OOC opponents. I'd say that GSU is probably a decent G5 opponent. I'd prefer to play the top FCS teams, and App St. would be one of them, maybe North Dakota State, as well.