Taxslayer Wrap-up

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
A bowl game on Dec 26th in Detroit of all places was always destined to fail. Not sure who thought that would ever be a good idea.

That said, too many Tech fans missed-out on about the most ideal bowl trip we ever see. We had a New Years Eve weekend Bowl within driving distance of Atlanta, on a Saturday, in sunny Jacksonville, verses an SEC opponent, culminating a remarkable comeback season! Unless you're the type to buy a flight to bigtime Orange Bowl or travel mid-week, this event was a once-in-a-decade, best-case deal that really should've galvanized GT Nation. Wish everyone could've been there to celebrate a banner 2016 for our Yellow Jackets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was a great opportunity for Tech fans from all over Georgia and Florida to show up and support their team.Sadly many didn't.I do believe this does factor in recruiting players.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Well I am first of all glad we won to cap off a very successful season. I thought it was telling of ESPN and ABC at halftime of the Bama game when they did not even mention the score of the Tech / Kentucky game but played the highlights of the LSU / Louisville game and hyped the SEC a little more. Just another fine example of media playing to their agenda.

To be honest, I thought we played pretty poorly and could have easily beat these Cats by 50 points of more if we had played better and if CPJ had called a bit of a better game. The B Back dive play was there all day and it was clear they could not stop it. Why Johnson kept trying to throw the ball and run wide plays was a mystery to me. I would have just run the damn ball right down their throat the whole game. The defense played OK but still gave up way too many third and longs and gave they Ky. receivers too much space. Well I have been critical of others saying we just did not win good enough so I will quit complaining but it gets frustrating to see us play below our capabilities and leave these games in doubt when we should be dominating these basketball schools.

As for next year, you never know what you got until you get out there and play. I would not get overly excited or overly depressed. It is a long way until we tee it up to play Tennessee in the new dome. Hopefully the guys will put in a good off season of work and preparation and come ready play this coming fall.
Jerry, I thought Tech just lost interest in the 3rd quarter and wasted many opportunities to really blow uk out.I was scratching my head about some of the plays that were called!
Go Jackets!

Deleted member 2897

This was a great opportunity for Tech fans from all over Georgia and Florida to show up and support their team.Sadly many didn't.I do believe this does factor in recruiting players.

In my opinion, Tech travelled extremely well. The stadium was blue, the seats were blue, and a lot of Tech fans didn't wear Gold. But if you look at the replay of the game again, you'll notice the stands on Tech's side were pretty darned full - and not full of Kentucky blue - just full of some Gold and a bunch of other garbage the turned into brown because a lot of people didn't wear Gold. We can always have more fans, but ignoring the optics we were dealt, I really think it was maybe 55/45 Kentucky.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Along the same lines, I don't know many other coaches who have the balls to call the same exact play on back to back snaps after you got the look from the defense you wanted on the first one but the team didn't quite execute.

And if it's obvious enough for the announcers to notice (see long pass to Searcy in UGag game right after pass to BStewart), you know other coaches know about that tendency. And yet, more often than not it works.

I can imagine the players in the huddle going "well, he said run it again, so let's get it right this time" and feeling amped about getting a 2nd shot.

I remember a long pass from JfN to Demaryius Thomas in '09 (either UVA or ACCCG... or both?) that fit that description. Anyone remember any of the others?

EDIT: The pass to Stewart right before the FG to end the 1st half on Saturday is another example. Pass was a bit off target the first time, so we ran it again and got it.
I think the play you note was the same play to a different receiver. I don't know and nobody has ever said, but we have seen enough of these wide open receivers, I mean Great Plains open, being ignored, but I think Thomas has been given one receiver as have he previous QBs. It has happened too often not to be schemed, I think. My guess is that Johnson, who has said he can somehow see the whole field, or his spotter saw Searcy and went right back, but this time with Searcy being the one target. I'd like someone better versed on run and shoot than I am to check in though.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion, Tech travelled extremely well. The stadium was blue, the seats were blue, and a lot of Tech fans didn't wear Gold. But if you look at the replay of the game again, you'll notice the stands on Tech's side were pretty darned full - and not full of Kentucky blue - just full of some Gold and a bunch of other garbage the turned into brown because a lot of people didn't wear Gold. We can always have more fans, but ignoring the optics we were dealt, I really think it was maybe 55/45 Kentucky.
It seemed like there were more GT fans at this Taxslayer Gator Bowl than there was to the 2006 Gator Bowl against West Virginia.

gtg147g

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the play you note was the same play to a different receiver. I don't know and nobody has ever said, but we have seen enough of these wide open receivers, I mean Great Plains open, being ignored, but I think Thomas has been given one receiver as have he previous QBs. It has happened too often not to be schemed, I think. My guess is that Johnson, who has said he can somehow see the whole field, or his spotter saw Searcy and went right back, but this time with Searcy being the one target. I'd like someone better versed on run and shoot than I am to check in though.

Yes. 1st play was complete to Stewart, CPJ noticed they left the slot AB free on that play so the 2nd time went to Searcy. My point is if there was a decent coach on the opposite sideline, you'd think they'd notice the same thing and we'd get burned more often on those mulligan's than we really do.

I'm sure there is a progression on those plays but usually the benefit of the play fake is gone by the time you check down (or our qb's don't go thru them fast enough), so you either see us go with the primary target or improvise. I also think there are times when it looks like another receiver was wide open only because the deep safety reads the QB and shades over to the target receiver (and away from the others) as the ball is released.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The only times Tech fans can get on the same page is for a white out. I say just make white our official game day color and be done with it. It's already one of the main two anyway. (Up with the White and Gold)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It a stadium environment, gold gets swallowed; it's washed out. The GOLD OUT looked horrible on TV because the stands looked...dirty. That's an odd descriptor, I know, but it's the best way to describe what I saw. We need a dark/bold color that will pop in contrast to other colors. Reds, oranges, some greens, blues do that; gold doesn't. I know our school colors are old gold and white, but in a game environment, it just doesn't work for TV.

Not interested in black. That belongs to that other team.

Navy blue is a secondary color, and is the only thing we have that fits the optical bill for a stadium. As much grief as I give some fonts on this topic (@Supersizethatorder-mutt), I am a traditionalist too. I understand the desire for "white and gold," but let's be real: if we want to "show out" on tv, we won't be wearing gold. (mustard--a la 2006 jerseys--might work)

It a stadium environment, gold gets swallowed; it's washed out. The GOLD OUT looked horrible on TV because the stands looked...dirty. That's an odd descriptor, I know, but it's the best way to describe what I saw. We need a dark/bold color that will pop in contrast to other colors. Reds, oranges, some greens, blues do that; gold doesn't. I know our school colors are old gold and white, but in a game environment, it just doesn't work for TV.

Navy blue is a secondary color, and is the only thing we have that fits the optical bill for a stadium. As much grief as I give some fonts on this topic (@Supersizethatorder-mutt), I am a traditionalist too. I understand the desire for "white and gold," but let's be real: if we want to "show out" on tv, we won't be wearing gold. (mustard--a la 2006 jerseys--might work)
I still believe that uniformity of any (ANY) color won't get washed out. A large group of people ALL wearing the same color can't help but be noticeable. The problem is that we don't have uniformity, either because of too many different shades of gold, or too many people who just won't wear gold to begin with. If you mix different colors or shades of blue in the KY section, so that only about 45% are wearing the same color or shade, then that's going to wash out on TV too.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

WHITE works very well and it is one of our primary colors.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
White works especially well at night and when the crowds have the white shakers too. Not sure what it would look like in the daytime.
12059607.jpeg

PennStateWhiteout.jpg

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I still believe that uniformity of any (ANY) color won't get washed out. A large group of people ALL wearing the same color can't help but be noticeable. The problem is that we don't have uniformity, either because of too many different shades of gold, or too many people who just won't wear gold to begin with. If you mix different colors or shades of blue in the KY section, so that only about 45% are wearing the same color or shade, then that's going to wash out on TV too.
I watched the "gold-out" on TV and it didn't look good. There was a lot of gold in the stands. The problem is old gold is not "bright" enough. Maybe the Buzz Gold would work (pantone 124), but not the "old gold" (pantone 874). If the had a "gold-out" with the Buzz Gold, it'd probably work.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I like the black look from the 80's as well. I think kids prefer wearing something more bold than white

These were pretty well received across the nation:

Oregon.jpg

Now imagine if we updated our all white unis:

GT Unis 2016.jpg

Update the numbering, sleeve stripes, gold streak on pants, GT helmet logo and helmet stripes to metallic gold? Add metallic gold cleats? That's a winner in my book.