Taxslayer Wrap-up

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Pitt situation was totally different. I totally understand going for it 4th and inches at the 15 up with time left on the clock and us being successful running the clock. The worst thing would be that Kentucky would have tied the game. The Pitt situation was a tie game with only a couple of minutes left. In that situation, punt the ball and rely on your defense to get you to OT and win it there. Don't make it and you've essentially guaranteed Pitt field position (essentially already in FG range for Blewitt) and a good chance to win the game. Very different situations in my opinion.

It reminds me of the 2013 game against uga. Instead of trying to push the ball 25 yards at the end of the game, he ran the clock out and went to OT. I always felt we should have tried to advance the ball and win that game in regulation. I never had a good feeling in OT.

That wasn't a catchable ball. That's why it wasn't called. They saw it.

If you can't make a yard or less with our O on 4th, we (or any team) don't deserve to win. {.!}

I liked the Pitt call to go on 4th even though it didn't work. Part of playing with bravado and belief.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I liked the calls going for it on fourth down earlier this year. After our last failed try on 4th and short....I said no more please, we just weren't able to make them which surprised me and I just didn't have much faith in getting them in the future.

Then in the bowl game I tossed that aside and actually wanted to go for it again when coach did, said so in chat before the play. And I felt pretty confident we'd get it and knew it would be a dagger for them if we did. My prior pessimism was gone. Maybe because I'm just a dumb fan. Maybe because of the way we improved our play toward the end of the year. Great call and pretty damn ballsy considering our struggles there this year.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I liked the calls going for it on fourth down earlier this year. After our last failed try on 4th and short....I said no more please, we just weren't able to make them which surprised me and I just didn't have much faith in getting them in the future.

Then in the bowl game I tossed that aside and actually wanted to go for it again when coach did, said so in chat before the play. And I felt pretty confident we'd get it and knew it would be a dagger for them if we did. My prior pessimism was gone. Maybe because I'm just a dumb fan. Maybe because of the way we improved our play toward the end of the year. Great call and pretty damn ballsy considering our struggles there this year.
I just wanted more of those 4th down attempts to be triple options, or at least something to the outside rather than every one of them being up the middle which is the one thing that every defense, ever, practices and lines up to stop on 4th and short.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I just wanted more of those 4th down attempts to be triple options, or at least something to the outside rather than every one of them being up the middle which is the one thing that every defense, ever, practices and lines up to stop on 4th and short.
After watching CPJ the last 9years I'll defer to his expertise on making 4th down calls. He's not afraid to put players in a position to make plays even if it's sometime seemingly on the edge of reason. Guts.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It would take me forever to figure out the tape because I don't do that well, but I wonder how many of those "up the middle" are always intended to be "up the middle". There are a couple or more options involved and a lot rests on the QB's judgment. I don't know. Just think the head ball coach is not going to just run the old automatic every 4th and short. And a couple of those "up the middle" seemed to me to slide over a gap.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
UK was very aggressive sideline to sideline. They were soft up the gut and that was the place to gash them on 4th and throughout that game. Other games situations....?

Shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Up the middle is usually where I want to go to get short yardage on big downs. But only if your guys in the trench are handling their assignments. Then the other team is forced to overload or crash the middle exposing the edge. All simple and easy right? If only. In CPJ I trust.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
After watching CPJ the last 9years I'll defer to his expertise on making 4th down calls. He's not afraid to put players in a position to make plays even if it's sometime seemingly on the edge of reason. Guts.
PJ told me long ago that in that situation, you take your best runner and go behind your best blocker. Back then, it was Adrian Peterson behind Mark Williams. It never got stopped.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
UK was very aggressive sideline to sideline. They were soft up the gut and that was the place to gash them on 4th and throughout that game. Other games situations....?

Shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Up the middle is usually where I want to go to get short yardage on big downs. But only if your guys in the trench are handling their assignments. Then the other team is forced to overload or crash the middle exposing the edge. All simple and easy right? If only. In CPJ I trust.

I also like rocket toss on short yardage...assuming our perimeter blocking has been solid. That play hits so wide so fast. If it's blocked well, it usually goes for big yards.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I also like rocket toss on short yardage...assuming our perimeter blocking has been solid. That play hits so wide so fast. If it's blocked well, it usually goes for big yards.
I love the rocket toss sweep play as well. Its one great weakness, as has been demonstrated time and time again, is that, if you guess right as a DC, it is one of the easiest plays to blow up. A CB blitz is pretty much guaranteed to defeat it. It is a risky play for the defense, but an amazing number of DCs seem willing to try it. I was real happy to see CPJ take advantage late in the bowl game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Have we ever had, since Smith, an A back who was an automatic short yardage or 3rd down runner? He was the master at it and I don't know why because while he was fast, it was not sprinter speed. But he always seemed to get to the edge first.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Also, if you focus on the LOS, we were blowing them off the ball all game. It was a no-brainer.

On the fourth down play, they put nobody over our freshman all American left guard. Again, a no-brainer.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Also, if you focus on the LOS, we were blowing them off the ball all game. It was a no-brainer.

On the fourth down play, they put nobody over our freshman all American left guard. Again, a no-brainer.
Why do you think they do that? A straight dive excepted, when the midline and the triple option start with the Bback into the line, why would they leave a hole there? Somebody just got lined up wrong, or were they guessing maybe toss or ...? Just seems really odd.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Why do you think they do that? A straight dive excepted, when the midline and the triple option start with the Bback into the line, why would they leave a hole there? Somebody just got lined up wrong, or were they guessing maybe toss or ...? Just seems really odd.
Mark Stoops is a lousy Head Coach who didn't or couldn't make halftime adjustments