Syracuse vs. Georgia Tech

GT_EE78

Banned
Thanks to cusejacket for posting Boeheim's comments .. haha ,he has a sense of humor

CuseJacket:
on jackson being 6'2".... "he didn't come from out of bounds... they knew he was there"

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If Evan Cole has the energy to make his own coffee the rest of this season something is wrong. The staff needs to work his butt off. CJP said Cole needs to be ready, so this is his chance.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
5098981851888377954%253Faccount_id%253D1

Sad Jimmy. :(

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If Evan Cole has the energy to make his own coffee the rest of this season something is wrong. The staff needs to work his butt off. CJP said Cole needs to be ready, so this is his chance.

What chance? Chance implies he gets in the game. We've shown several times we'd rather play only 6 players than play one of the freshman bigs.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
SyracuseFan.com threads

Thread 1: OP at halftime: Worse Half Ever.[
It seems like a replay of a lot of first halves since ACC play began...
Could get worse this half.
Syracuse: hold my beer

Thread 2: That 1st half was broadcast on armed forces radio
Haven’t our soldiers sacrificed enough?
It should have been broadcast to the detainees at Guantanamo Bay.
They would prefer waterboarding over having to watch this.

And much more Schadenfreude on the site for those into it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is in every game I've played. [emoji6]

Actually, I found a game where it may not be good to "win".

The pre-hispanic cultures in meso America (Mexico) played a game where a ball was attempted to be put through a vertical hoop. Only the legs and hips could be used to put the ball through. Most games ended in a draw due to the difficulty and height of the hoop.

But the catch was that the winner got the honor of being sacrificed to the Gods. .... "the ballcourts at El Tajín and Chichen Itza show the sacrifice of practiced ballplayers, perhaps the captain of a team.[60]Decapitation is particularly associated with the ballgame—severed heads are featured in much Late Classic ballgame art and appear repeatedly in the Popol Vuh. There has even been speculation that the heads and skulls were used as balls.[61]" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_ballgame

But I have a somewhat (tic) more relevant question about the game last night. Why were the GT coaches wearing those slime green ties?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Actually, I found a game where it may not be good to "win".

The pre-hispanic cultures in meso America (Mexico) played a game where a ball was attempted to be put through a vertical hoop. Only the legs and hips could be used to put the ball through. Most games ended in a draw due to the difficulty and height of the hoop.

But the catch was that the winner got the honor of being sacrificed to the Gods. .... "the ballcourts at El Tajín and Chichen Itza show the sacrifice of practiced ballplayers, perhaps the captain of a team.[60]Decapitation is particularly associated with the ballgame—severed heads are featured in much Late Classic ballgame art and appear repeatedly in the Popol Vuh. There has even been speculation that the heads and skulls were used as balls.[61]" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_ballgame

But I have a somewhat (tic) more relevant question about the game last night. Why were the GT coaches wearing those slime green ties?

Guess I'll make it a point NOT to play that game!!!

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I have a somewhat (tic) more relevant question about the game last night. Why were the GT coaches wearing those slime green ties?
I think lime green is the color for lymphoma, slightly darker is kidney cancer. Possibly the cause of Alston's father passing would be my guess

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Both teams are good defensive teams but not too good offensively, so you get what you got last night.
I felt like GT really threw Syracuse for a loop going m-t-m the whole game. Syracuse looked very surprised early and never adjusted well to it. First time i can remember GT going m-t-m for 40 min under Pastner. He said in the post-game radio interview that they were guarding so well he decided to stay in it all game. He was really disappointed with the defense against Clemson and FSU and challenged them to play harder and better on that end.

Pastner was happy with how GT played against Syracuse's press in the second half except for 1 possession. Got a lot of good looks off their press but failed to hit shots.

First game this year where i was frustrated with the refs. I don't care how you cal a game, just be consistent. They were really inconsistent in the 2nd half in what they were calling at the opposite ends.

Prayers for Alston and his family. i'm assuming he will head to VA today. Pastner said he thought it was one of Alston's best performances. He offered to let him go yesterday and Brandon said he wanted to play for his father. Pastner said he really broke down after the game.

AD turned his ankle at the 12 min mark in the second half. Initial call by the doctors was he was out for the game, but they changed at the end and said he could go back in. He was taken to the locker room at one point.

Hate to see Curt is out for the year. I do wonder if they brought him back too fast. Remember the day he was cleared by doctors to resume light running in practice they played him in a game that night. My gut is he may have been brought back too fast.

Third game this year with a large orange presence, first time those fans went home unhappy. Wish GT fans would show up, or at least not sell those tickets to opponents fans. Student body was excellent. Syracuse having a couple of air balls early helped.

Okogie could have had a monster game. He missed a couple of layups and missed back to back threes from the exact same spot late.

For a guard oriented team Syracuse is not particuarly strong with the ball. GT got alot of TO and should have had more. GT won this game basically through points in the paint and TO - they dominated those 2 stats.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Two other notes.
Pastner said that Cole is next man up (I sort of figured that might be the case watching pre-game work the last couple of games - he just looks more solid to me right now than Moses).
AD did a fantastic job defending Battle in the first half. Really didn't give him any openings to get good looks. After the Clemson game I would have been scared to do that, but AD pulled it off well.

Sunday's game will be a very different affair. BC is not nearly as good defensively, but is much better offensively than Syracuse- they love to shoot threes (44.3% of their attempts in ACC games, hitting 38.4% as a team). Robinson is avg 23.6 and Bowman 18.1 in ACC Games. They do not defend overly well or rebound well (opponents have grabbed 47% of offensive rebounds). Will be interesting to see if we try to go m-t-m again Sunday.

Deleted member 2897

Two other notes.
Pastner said that Cole is next man up (I sort of figured that might be the case watching pre-game work the last couple of games - he just looks more solid to me right now than Moses).
AD did a fantastic job defending Battle in the first half. Really didn't give him any openings to get good looks. After the Clemson game I would have been scared to do that, but AD pulled it off well.

Sunday's game will be a very different affair. BC is not nearly as good defensively, but is much better offensively than Syracuse- they love to shoot threes (44.3% of their attempts in ACC games, hitting 38.4% as a team). Robinson is avg 23.6 and Bowman 18.1 in ACC Games. They do not defend overly well or rebound well (opponents have grabbed 47% of offensive rebounds). Will be interesting to see if we try to go m-t-m again Sunday.

Only 4 teams in the ACC have more than 5 wins, and we're 4-5 with a chance to get to 5-5 on Sunday against Boston College. At 3-6, that's really as much of a must-win game as you can get.

Boston College, similar to Clemson, does indeed live and die by the 3. Their 3 conference wins are Wake Forest.............and DUKE and FLORIDA STATE.

Our remaining schedule is:
@Boston College
@Louisville
Duke #4
@Wake Forest
Virginia Tech
@Virginia #2
@Clemson #20
NC State
Wake Forest

There are 5 teams in the ACC with fewer losses than ranked North Carolina, so expect a chance of Louisville, NC State, and Virginia Tech to sneak into the rankings by then too.

A lot of winnable games in there, but its going to be a slug fest. Really anything between 6-12 and 11-7 is still possible. Gotta go 5-4 at minimum over this stretch to finish above 0.500 and qualify for the NIT.