Syracuse vs. Georgia Tech

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Can't remember if it's been mentioned but the announcer was absolutely correct when he chided SorryexCuse for those ridiculous 'fouls to give' at the end of the 1st half.

Guy said those meaningless fouls would come back to bite them at the end and, of course, it did when that one kid got a T which was his 4th foul.

I mean, I get the strategy. But, at the end of the day, it doesn't help as much as it can potentially hurt.

Lastly, I got distracted. What'd that kid actually do to get a T?

Deleted member 2897

Can't remember if it's been mentioned but the announcer was absolutely correct when he chided SorryexCuse for those ridiculous 'fouls to give' at the end of the 1st half.

Guy said those meaningless fouls would come back to bite them at the end and, of course, it did when that one kid got a T which was his 4th foul.

I mean, I get the strategy. But, at the end of the day, it doesn't help as much as it can potentially hurt.

Coach Saltheim said he yelled something fairly innocuous at the Ref like "Aw, Come On!". Said he hasn't gotten a T in like 3 years, so it seemed fairly random.

On those fouls, it was crazy to do that - we didn't end up even getting a shot off anyway - Alvarado had to launch a 3 from like 10 feet behind the arc. Those fouls seemed completely ridiculous to me given there were 20 minutes left to play. It felt like someone going for 2 midway through the 2nd quarter instead of just kicking an extra point. (Looking at you CPJ during Wake Forest...)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Coach Saltheim said he yelled something fairly innocuous at the Ref like "Aw, Come On!". Said he hasn't gotten a T in like 3 years, so it seemed fairly random.

On those fouls, it was crazy to do that - we didn't end up even getting a shot off anyway - Alvarado had to launch a 3 from like 10 feet behind the arc. Those fouls seemed completely ridiculous to me given there were 20 minutes left to play. It felt like someone going for 2 midway through the 2nd quarter instead of just kicking an extra point. (Looking at you CPJ during Wake Forest...)

Thanks.

I gotta be honest, I thought it was a quick T which is why I thought I'd missed something. Then again, considering Bayhime whines all night long, I wouldn't be surprised if it was more of a cumulative T. Refs are human, ya know.

Totally agree on the fouls-to-give. Have they not seen us play O? The odds were we were gonna end up with a desperation 3 anyway. :whistle:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was disappointed with GT at the end of the first half. Jose launched that shot with 3.5 seconds left on the clock. GT really didn't try to get a good shot and it had plenty of time to do so.
Heck, Jose easily could have taken a couple of dribbles and launched a shot from 6-8 ft closer.
Was about my only complaint with GT coaching in the game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Only 4 teams in the ACC have more than 5 wins, and we're 4-5 with a chance to get to 5-5 on Sunday against Boston College. At 3-6, that's really as much of a must-win game as you can get.

Boston College, similar to Clemson, does indeed live and die by the 3. Their 3 conference wins are Wake Forest.............and DUKE and FLORIDA STATE.

Our remaining schedule is:
@Boston College
@Louisville
Duke #4
@Wake Forest
Virginia Tech
@Virginia #2
@Clemson #20
NC State
Wake Forest

There are 5 teams in the ACC with fewer losses than ranked North Carolina, so expect a chance of Louisville, NC State, and Virginia Tech to sneak into the rankings by then too.

A lot of winnable games in there, but its going to be a slug fest. Really anything between 6-12 and 11-7 is still possible. Gotta go 5-4 at minimum over this stretch to finish above 0.500 and qualify for the NIT.
Wins (?):

@Boston College - tossup; probably our best chance on the road
@Louisville - 5-8 pt underdogs; this will be tough game to win
Duke - heavy underdog; I do not see how we do it unless they get into foul trouble and are missing 3s; not a great defensive team
@Wake - slight underdog; they are very inconsistent, so this is possible
Virginia Tech - tossup; we really need to get this game; VT is also very inconsistent
@Virginia - heavy underdog; first team to 50 wins this one; not likely to be us
@Clemson -5-8 pt underdogs; at some point they are going to have a 20% from the arc night
NC State - 5-8 pt underdogs; I think State will be ranked by the time we play them; they depend on threes a lot
Wake - slight favorite; must win.

Best outcome - we beat BC, UofL, Wake twice, VT, NCSU for 6 wins
Worst outcome - we beat Wake at home for one win
Likely outcome - wins against BC, Wake at home, State or VT at home for three wins

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Boeheim always uses fouls to give at the end of halves. I'm curious, how do you think it bit Syracuse, given Howard went the full 40 min? I didn't see him playing soft after the T.

In any case, I thought the first foul to give was a poor decision. Can't remember who had the ball with 4.5 sec, but they were past NBA range and not even facing the basket. Could have let more time roll.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Also I know it was somewhat discussed in chat... question for those wiser than me (i.e., everyone)... how was last night a sellout? Did 30% of the stadium really just eat their tickets? Tons of seats available.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Howard was right behind the ref. I think he may have had an inflection in his voice that Boeheim chose to omit in his recap. Actually, I thought we caught a break on the foul call that Howard reacted to.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Boeheim always uses fouls to give at the end of halves. I'm curious, how do you think it bit Syracuse, given Howard went the full 40 min? I didn't see him playing soft after the T.

In any case, I thought the first foul to give was a poor decision. Can't remember who had the ball with 4.5 sec, but they were past NBA range and not even facing the basket. Could have let more time roll.

Simply from the standpoint of a key player having 4 fouls when he didn't have to.

To your point, we weren't able to take advantage of it. But why even have him in that position by taking that meaningless foul?

It seems the 'foul-to-give' thing is a go-to strategy for many coaches but not all. I know the Hawks coach is vehemently against doing it. Not pitting him against Bayhime. Simply stating that so you don't think I'm on an island.

I just think it's a lazy thing that coaches just do because (a) they've just always done it or (b) they've seen other coaches do it. I think the reality is that the benefit doesn't rise to the level that it exceeds simply playing defense by that much. Certainly not so much that it's worth tacking an unnecessary foul on a key player.

@orientalnc , the sCuse fans are all whining about the officials. They think they get jobbed below the Mason-Dixon line. I mean, who still says that anyway. I guess they didn't see the obvious kick-ball go uncalled on our first turnover when they started pressing.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Simply from the standpoint of a key player having 4 fouls when he didn't have to.

To your point, we weren't able to take advantage of it. But why even have him in that position by taking that meaningless foul?

It seems the 'foul-to-give' thing is a go-to strategy for many coaches but not all. I know the Hawks coach is vehemently against doing it. Not pitting him against Bayhime. Simply stating that so you don't think I'm on an island.

I just think it's a lazy thing that coaches just do because (a) they've just always done it or (b) they've seen other coaches do it. I think the reality is that the benefit doesn't rise to the level that it exceeds simply playing defense by that much. Certainly not so much that it's worth tacking an unnecessary foul on a key player.

@orientalnc , the sCuse fans are all whining about the officials. They think they get jobbed below the Mason-Dixon line. I mean, who still says that anyway. I guess they didn't see the obvious kick-ball go uncalled on our first turnover when they started pressing.
Yea, I get the opposing argument. Was just curious about the "it bit Syracuse" part, in case there was something I missed.

I thought it was pretty poor officiating both ways. At least if the refs were consistent, folks might not be talking about it as much on both sides. It wasn't even just random stuff like a ref falling in love with moving screens or off ball stuff randomly. It was the basics... a lot of all ball or weak stuff called, whereas hacks were sometimes "play on". I can see why the foul that Howard reacted to, which I thought was a poor call, could have frustrated Howard beyond the alleged "come on" and that single call specifically.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know that every team sees the officiating with very biased eyes. I am OK with that, but some teams' fans go overboard. The worst by far in the ACC is Duke. There is a huge gap between Duke and Cuse IMO.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Also I know it was somewhat discussed in chat... question for those wiser than me (i.e., everyone)... how was last night a sellout? Did 30% of the stadium really just eat their tickets? Tons of seats available.

Any game where 100% of tickets are sold is a sellout.
GT had a large increase in season tickets sold this season. But it looks to me like alot of those season ticket holders are not coming and making their tickets available on the secondary market. This pisses me off by the way. It is what allows Syracuse fans to be sitting behind the GT bench. At least if you are not going to use your tickets make sure you either give them to someone who will root for GT, or eat them. That is what i do. I will never put a ticket on a secondary market where an opposing fan might buy it.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Any game where 100% of tickets are sold is a sellout.
GT had a large increase in season tickets sold this season. But it looks to me like alot of those season ticket holders are not coming and making their tickets available on the secondary market. This pisses me off by the way. It is what allows Syracuse fans to be sitting behind the GT bench. At least if you are not going to use your tickets make sure you either give them to someone who will root for GT, or eat them. That is what i do. I will never put a ticket on a secondary market where an opposing fan might buy it.
What I found strange was the number of empty seats in the upper level which are presumably not held by season ticket holders. Typically those sections are full for sellouts but not so last night.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow

I sit very close to the court. That Syracuse player clearly dropped an F-Bomb earlier in the game. I couldn’t hear what he said behind the ref that resulted in the T. And I am not a lip reader. But it looked like another F-Bomb to us. I am pretty certain that the actual language was considerably stronger than Boeheim’s claim that the ‘Cuse player said “Aw come on” or something similarly bland.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I sit very close to the court. That Syracuse player clearly dropped an F-Bomb earlier in the game. I couldn’t hear what he said behind the ref that resulted in the T. And I am not a lip reader. But it looked like another F-Bomb to us. I am pretty certain that the actual language was considerably stronger than Boeheim’s claim that the ‘Cuse player said “Aw come on” or something similarly bland.
I agree. While I was not close to the court, I also noticed that Howard appeared fairly animated. I'd be shocked if there wasn't language to go with "come on".

Also, I'm not sure Boeheim is pretending he knows what happened, rather he's going off of what he was told by officials and Howard. The question posed in the press conference was "what did the officials tell you happened?" Not "from your vantage point, what happened?"

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Thanks for the insight. If there's anything I've learned it's that you can't trust Cuse fans, amirite? :D

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
First thing first, Jose looked better than any SU guard out there. Thanks for not recruiting him Jim.

2 minutes into the game I saw how Cuse was defending us, and like CuseJacket is about a press, I was telling anybody in my section that we need Lammers at the high post and Tadric in the short corner. It took forever to happen, and might of never happened if AD didn't go in to the locker room to take a Grayson Allen(What I thought at the time) which turned out to be a supposed ankle injury not a #2.

The biggest let down of the game was when SU fouled Tadric when we had a 3 on 1, which turned into a 2 on 0 when they called the foul. Jose was about to bring out the New York Jelly Fam, and go in-between the legs off the back board to Okogie for the dunk and the crowd go nuts!

Speaking of Okogie, if he doesn't learn how to hold onto the ball in traffic he will be eaten alive in the NBA (once/if he does make it). Even the worst defenders in the NBA(Harden, Kyrie, IT, etc.) are all still really good at poking the ball out on drives to the basket. He also can't miss all those wide open shots, could have easily dropped 30 tonight. Though, he still made big plays when needed and when you need to duck your head away from the rim like he did on that alley-oop, you know you're flying!

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Yeah, also in the student section behind the basket. I was sitting/standing there and once the softball team left in the 1st half, at least 4 rows were wide open with like 2 people in each. Really kinda lame.

Deleted member 2897

First thing first, Jose looked better than any SU guard out there. Thanks for not recruiting him Jim.

Speaking of Jose, I freaking love his fight and passion. Does all kinds of stuff that doesn't show up on the stat sheet. Last night he was at it again. Here is one of my favorites - he dishes the assist on a breakaway instead of getting the glory himself. Then peels away and doesn't even watch the play, but instead times a celebratory jump towards the bench right when Okogie slams it.

6RKAvQ.gif

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Speaking of Jose, I freaking love his fight and passion. Does all kinds of stuff that doesn't show up on the stat sheet. Last night he was at it again. Here is one of my favorites - he dishes the assist on a breakaway instead of getting the glory himself. Then peels away and doesn't even watch the play, but instead times a celebratory jump towards the bench right when Okogie slams it.

6RKAvQ.gif
Reminded me of future Warrior, Lebron and D-Wade from a few years back. Except Okogie (Wade's clone) did the dunk this time.
lebronwadedunk.png

Still #TeamKobe