Syracuse vs. Georgia Tech

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First thing first, Jose looked better than any SU guard out there. Thanks for not recruiting him Jim.

2 minutes into the game I saw how Cuse was defending us, and like CuseJacket is about a press, I was telling anybody in my section that we need Lammers at the high post and Tadric in the short corner. It took forever to happen, and might of never happened if AD didn't go in to the locker room to take a Grayson Allen(What I thought at the time) which turned out to be a supposed ankle injury not a #2.

The biggest let down of the game was when SU fouled Tadric when we had a 3 on 1, which turned into a 2 on 0 when they called the foul. Jose was about to bring out the New York Jelly Fam, and go in-between the legs off the back board to Okogie for the dunk and the crowd go nuts!

Speaking of Okogie, if he doesn't learn how to hold onto the ball in traffic he will be eaten alive in the NBA (once/if he does make it). Even the worst defenders in the NBA(Harden, Kyrie, IT, etc.) are all still really good at poking the ball out on drives to the basket. He also can't miss all those wide open shots, could have easily dropped 30 tonight. Though, he still made big plays when needed and when you need to duck your head away from the rim like he did on that alley-oop, you know you're flying!

This is a game I thought AD might struggle offensively with and he did. They tried to do the same thing with AD as they did later with Tad- putting him in the short corner and having Lammers at the high post, but any time AD caught it, they immediately double teamed him and he was generally too slow to react. They didn't look to double Tad - maybe because he is shorter?, and he made his moves quickly once he got the ball and that made a huge difference. I was pleased that they did not fall into the trap of settling for alot of threes. The majority of the threes they took were good shots, not desperation ones.

Josh could have had a monster game last night if he had shot the ball well. He was only 7-20. He easily could have gone for 30 if he had a good shooting night. The losing the ball out of bounds at the end of the game was sort of symptomatic of his evening, even though he scored 20. He missed alot of really makeable shots last night and was the only GT player who had TO issues.

Pastner also pointed that out in his postgame radio interview. He was really pleased that GT had only 9 TO for the second straight game. Said 9 or fewer is the goal every game.

The crowd was definitely disappointed in that foul call on what was going to be a breakaway basket. At one point in the second half the fouls were 9 to 4 in favor of Syracuse. You could never get a sense of what the officials were going to call last night. they were definitely racking them up on GT in the second half though.

Deleted member 2897

This is a game I thought AD might struggle offensively with and he did. They tried to do the same thing with AD as they did later with Tad- putting him in the short corner and having Lammers at the high post, but any time AD caught it, they immediately double teamed him and he was generally too slow to react. They didn't look to double Tad - maybe because he is shorter?, and he made his moves quickly once he got the ball and that made a huge difference. I was pleased that they did not fall into the trap of settling for alot of threes. The majority of the threes they took were good shots, not desperation ones.

Honestly its almost like there are some nights where teams don't realize that Tad is left-handed.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One other thing that I forgot to mention. Tad's 3-pt bucket from the corner that he hit in the first half was literally the same play that Mike Devoe hit the game winner on for Monteverde last weekend. Underneath the basket throw in, cross baseline to the corner for an open three.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Josh could have had a monster game last night if he had shot the ball well. He was only 7-20. He easily could have gone for 30 if he had a good shooting night. The losing the ball out of bounds at the end of the game was sort of symptomatic of his evening, even though he scored 20. He missed alot of really makeable shots last night and was the only GT player who had TO issues.

Pastner also pointed that out in his postgame radio interview. He was really pleased that GT had only 9 TO for the second straight game. Said 9 or fewer is the goal every game.

The crowd was definitely disappointed in that foul call on what was going to be a breakaway basket. At one point in the second half the fouls were 9 to 4 in favor of Syracuse. You could never get a sense of what the officials were going to call last night. they were definitely racking them up on GT in the second half though.

Tad is exceptional at getting the ball out of his hand and to the basket quickly before defenders can close. One of his best attributes.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Josh was one the person who I felt did fall in love with the 3. He shot a number of trey's where he had an open lane to the goal or at least an easier shot.

I'd love to see him to go to the bucket and shoot a midrange J or draw the foul. Otherwise, we were pretty efficient out there. Jose should shoot more in my opinion.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The only image I want to see less than either of those mugs is the image of Isaiah Canaan's leg/ankle break from last night. :hungover:

This one? Me too, thats gross.
mqdefault.jpg

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
CUSE REPORT CARD
Overall
— A. This game, like the Clemson game, was a more than a conference game, it's a culture/program game. One of those must-wins to increase a passionate following.
Coaching — B+. He got the Defense back in line — the Cuse's shooting woes helped. AD went out with rolled ankle, and it forced Tad to short-corner; happy coincidence. One area we need serious work on is our press-break. For such a "violent-cutting" team, we seem really slow on our press-break movement. I've stated before, anything less than 10 fast break points per game (exception is Virginia) is unacceptable. For our scoring troubles, we need to find easy points, and especially since pushing the ball is a strength of Alvarado's.
AD — C. Strong with 5 blocks, but he was a bit slow on the catch (quickly doubled) and with offensive rebounds and not exploding back up. He'll be ready next time.
Lammers — B. Hopefully facial hair helping make him a little more of a bad boy. He seems a little more aggressive and sharp. Some of his shots still look way off, but like the trajectory of the energy. Also, subtle, but liked on a fast break how he was running wing hard and signaling for a lob (even though he didn't get). Want to see him asking — then demanding — the ball.
Okogie — B+. Liked his aggressiveness. As Red mentioned, if he's on last night, he's 30+. He could be one of best rebounding guards in league with his explosion and reach — some of his boards look uber-athletic.
Alston — A+. Under those conditions with news of his father, courageous.
Alvarado — B-. Mostly downgraded for his shooting, BUT, he's a program changer, not because he's a 5-star; it's his attitude and drive, he's sticks his nose into any play, against any player. Cuse center, Sidibe, was reaching for a reb that everyone had conceded, but JA came from nowhere to stick his arm in and tip it away to GT. Such a great effort play that doesn't appear in box score, but dictated flow of game. He had 5 assts, too.
Jackson — A-. Welcome back. Played well within himself. Strong short corner/baseline work. Clean 3pointer. Only complaint were the two missed FTs — he should be reliable at the line. Frustrating that he isn't.
Others — We need a 7th and 8th player in the on-deck circle. There is no comfort with this mind-set that we're going to run with 6 players going forward. The staff needs to get Cole "some" minutes (even 3-5), and find spot duty for either Wright, or dust-off Moore for some quick time.

GT_EE78

Banned
What chance? Chance implies he gets in the game. We've shown several times we'd rather play only 6 players than play one of the freshman bigs.
per AJC/Sugura ... CJP said Cole,Wright,Ogbonda are weightlifting more than prepping for games
http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...gram-for-georgia-tech/dvO2W0v1HkdGfmNb6DwVCN/
I'm not a small ball fan either but still it may be the least bad, of choices available. Alston may not be great (or even very good) but seems to commit less turnovers and fouls than the young bigs.Guess we have to wait n see if that changes w Heywood out. Sure makes finding a "ready to play" big for that last 2018 recruit hugely important if he wants to avoid this problem next year.

crut

Helluva Engineer
I can't comment on the number of empty seats because I couldn't make it, but I know there were less than 400 tickets available on StubHub, significantly less than normal. So if people didn't show, they were eating the tickets without trying to sell for the most part.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
CUSE REPORT CARD
Overall
— A. This game, like the Clemson game, was a more than a conference game, it's a culture/program game. One of those must-wins to increase a passionate following.
Coaching — B+. He got the Defense back in line — the Cuse's shooting woes helped. AD went out with rolled ankle, and it forced Tad to short-corner; happy coincidence. One area we need serious work on is our press-break. For such a "violent-cutting" team, we seem really slow on our press-break movement. I've stated before, anything less than 10 fast break points per game (exception is Virginia) is unacceptable. For our scoring troubles, we need to find easy points, and especially since pushing the ball is a strength of Alvarado's.
AD — C. Strong with 5 blocks, but he was a bit slow on the catch (quickly doubled) and with offensive rebounds and not exploding back up. He'll be ready next time.
Lammers — B. Hopefully facial hair helping make him a little more of a bad boy. He seems a little more aggressive and sharp. Some of his shots still look way off, but like the trajectory of the energy. Also, subtle, but liked on a fast break how he was running wing hard and signaling for a lob (even though he didn't get). Want to see him asking — then demanding — the ball.
Okogie — B+. Liked his aggressiveness. As Red mentioned, if he's on last night, he's 30+. He could be one of best rebounding guards in league with his explosion and reach — some of his boards look uber-athletic.
Alston — A+. Under those conditions with news of his father, courageous.
Alvarado — B-. Mostly downgraded for his shooting, BUT, he's a program changer, not because he's a 5-star; it's his attitude and drive, he's sticks his nose into any play, against any player. Cuse center, Sidibe, was reaching for a reb that everyone had conceded, but JA came from nowhere to stick his arm in and tip it away to GT. Such a great effort play that doesn't appear in box score, but dictated flow of game. He had 5 assts, too.
Jackson — A-. Welcome back. Played well within himself. Strong short corner/baseline work. Clean 3pointer. Only complaint were the two missed FTs — he should be reliable at the line. Frustrating that he isn't.
Others — We need a 7th and 8th player in the on-deck circle. There is no comfort with this mind-set that we're going to run with 6 players going forward. The staff needs to get Cole "some" minutes (even 3-5), and find spot duty for either Wright, or dust-off Moore for some quick time.
I sure would've loved to have you for a teacher.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i love how Jose plays. Wish everyone on this team had that fearlessness. That was a big rebound you mentioned. He is so competitive, you can almost count on one or two big hustle plays per game from him. Another big one was the steal of the pass late in the game across the top of the perimeter and then eventual dump off to Josh for the dunk to make it 55-48.
We also should have shooters follow their shots moree, we consistently miss potential offensive rebounds because guys stand still or back away after shooting rather than moving forward. I'm sort of assuming that is taught by the staff to prevent teams from runouts on GT.

Watching Josh rebound sometimes is amazing.When he is really into it, you just see this arm reaching up 6-8 inches higher than everyone else on the court and snagging balls out of the air. The combination of good jumping ability and super long arms (close to 7' wingspan) allows him to rebound much bigger than his height.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
i love how Jose plays. Wish everyone on this team had that fearlessness. That was a big rebound you mentioned. He is so competitive, you can almost count on one or two big hustle plays per game from him. Another big one was the steal of the pass late in the game across the top of the perimeter and then eventual dump off to Josh for the dunk to make it 55-48.
We also should have shooters follow their shots moree, we consistently miss potential offensive rebounds because guys stand still or back away after shooting rather than moving forward. I'm sort of assuming that is taught by the staff to prevent teams from runouts on GT.

Watching Josh rebound sometimes is amazing.When he is really into it, you just see this arm reaching up 6-8 inches higher than everyone else on the court and snagging balls out of the air. The combination of good jumping ability and super long arms (close to 7' wingspan) allows him to rebound much bigger than his height.
All true.
Josh is explosive on his two foot jump for defensive rebounds, but doesn’t consistently get the same lift on his offensive two-step jump stop in lane. Not sure why, but I think it’s a looking for contact thing. Wish he would two-step and dunk on people more often.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Tad is exceptional at getting the ball out of his hand and to the basket quickly before defenders can close. One of his best attributes.
Pretty much this. Tad would have been doubled too if he just caught and held the ball in the short corner like AD. Instead he made a quick move. Syracuse traps that catch every time they can.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Syracuse.com: How a 6-foot-2 Georgia Tech guard torched Syracuse's zone defense
Georgia Tech was able to get the ball to 6-10 center Ben Lammers in the high post, which drew SU's center; either Paschal Chukwu or Bourama Sidibe, away from the basket. Lammers assisted three of Jackson's four buckets, hitting Jackson with a pass when he flashed toward the basket.

"We were focused on Lammers,'' SU forward Oshae Brissett said. "When he got it there, they were moving around and we standing instead of moving with them.''
It's not the first time that Jackson has hurt Syracuse. Last year, he scored 20 points to help Georgia Tech to a 71-65 win over the Orange. He had 11 points off the bench in the Yellow Jackets' 90-61 loss at the Carrier Dome last season.

"They knew he was there,'' Boeheim said of the difficulty finding the 6-2 Jackson. "He didn't come from out of bounds. He was there the whole time. I think they knew he was there.''

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I can't comment on the number of empty seats because I couldn't make it, but I know there were less than 400 tickets available on StubHub, significantly less than normal. So if people didn't show, they were eating the tickets without trying to sell for the most part.

I have 2 seats in the upper level. I couldn't go last night, and I offered them to no less than 10 different people. No takers, so they just went unused.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I found a game where it may not be good to "win".

The pre-hispanic cultures in meso America (Mexico) played a game where a ball was attempted to be put through a vertical hoop. Only the legs and hips could be used to put the ball through. Most games ended in a draw due to the difficulty and height of the hoop.

But the catch was that the winner got the honor of being sacrificed to the Gods. .... "the ballcourts at El Tajín and Chichen Itza show the sacrifice of practiced ballplayers, perhaps the captain of a team.[60]Decapitation is particularly associated with the ballgame—severed heads are featured in much Late Classic ballgame art and appear repeatedly in the Popol Vuh. There has even been speculation that the heads and skulls were used as balls.[61]" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_ballgame

But I have a somewhat (tic) more relevant question about the game last night. Why were the GT coaches wearing those slime green ties?

remember that about Chichen itza,
er, it looked like the players were afraid of scoring last night