Summer Workouts

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Might see two freshmen (redshirt & true) starting at DT.

I expect to see a lot of freshmen on the field especially during the Clemson game.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
No, no. I'm saying that everybody should be like me, at least as far as exercise goes.

For everything else … well, probably not.

It’s weird you don’t recognize developing good habits most likely comes from outside influences especially with young people. I work out daily, well, just because I want to do so, but I absolutely can point to my background in competitive sports as what laid the foundation to do so. Old strength coaches, former players, they all helped me develop the competitiveness and drive to carry on solo without a competitive team to be a part of.

The most driven people I know can point to something or someone that helped them develop good habits and if they can’t, they honestly must’ve just forgotten.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It’s weird you don’t recognize developing good habits most likely comes from outside influences especially with young people. I work out daily, well, just because I want to do so, but I absolutely can point to my background in competitive sports as what laid the foundation to do so. Old strength coaches, former players, they all helped me develop the competitiveness and drive to carry on solo without a competitive team to be a part of.

The most driven people I know can point to something or someone that helped them develop good habits and if they can’t, they honestly must’ve just forgotten.
I accept that this is one way that habits can be established. But that's not how it happened with me.

In my case, I became very interested in Olympic-style weightlifting - what the rest of the world calls "heavy athletes" - when I was in high school. In those days, not only were there no strength coaches, but our football coaches were very ambiguous about weightlifting at all. Some actively discouraged it. I, oth, thought that weightlifting was cool. I wanted to be strong, pretty much for my own delectation. It helped in sports, but that was secondary to just plain getting stronger and doing the lifts. And I did this all on my own; I never got more then occasional admiration from friends. While I never got really good at lifting, I simply kept doing it after awhile because I enjoyed it. It makes you feel better and it's fun to go to the gym. When I got to college I met some similar enthusiasts and it got to be a social thing. It turned out we had all come to weightlifting in pretty much the same way as well.

I suppose that your road may be more common nowadays since athletic programs put so much more emphasis on being strong, but that isn't how I got the habit. Different strokes, I guess.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I accept that this is one way that habits can be established. But that's not how it happened with me.

In my case, I became very interested in Olympic-style weightlifting - what the rest of the world calls "heavy athletes" - when I was in high school. In those days, not only were there no strength coaches, but our football coaches were very ambiguous about weightlifting at all. Some actively discouraged it. I, oth, thought that weightlifting was cool. I wanted to be strong, pretty much for my own delectation. It helped in sports, but that was secondary to just plain getting stronger and doing the lifts. And I did this all on my own; I never got more then occasional admiration from friends. While I never got really good at lifting, I simply kept doing it after awhile because I enjoyed it. It makes you feel better and it's fun to go to the gym. When I got to college I met some similar enthusiasts and it got to be a social thing. It turned out we had all come to weightlifting in pretty much the same way as well.

I suppose that your road may be more common nowadays since athletic programs put so much more emphasis on being strong, but that isn't how I got the habit. Different strokes, I guess.
Son got his masters in sports admin at ou in anticipation of being a football coach. He had a summer internship at the olympic training center at Colorado spring. I got to visit for a few days and was impressed at the athletes dedication to being their absolute personal bests.

From hearing your perspective on personal excercise i think u would really get a lot from visiting the olymic training center.
There is my training (golf) , hs football training, college training , pro training, and then personal olympic training. They are amazingly fit

Last edited:

bos

Helluva Engineer
Might see two freshmen (redshirt & true) starting at DT.

I expect to see a lot of freshmen on the field especially during the Clemson game.

At least 5 freshman are set to see reps at DL, with 3 likely starting.

Sylvain Yondjouen
Ja'Quon Griffin
T.K. Chimedza
Justice Dingle
Jordan Domineck

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

I don’t know if it’s this staff youth or ability to connect but the players will run through a wall for these coaches. Remains to be seen how good these guys are schematically. (The 2nd half of the Duke game was a debacle) But they have the players attention and they are sold.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
At least 5 freshman are set to see reps at DL, with 3 likely starting.

Sylvain Yondjouen
Ja'Quon Griffin
T.K. Chimedza
Justice Dingle
Jordan Domineck

Anyone know the current size on Dingle and Domineck? I guess to early to tell if Jamal Camp will contribute this fall.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
When I go through my 2-3 times/year exercise spurts, I believe that there is that biochemical thing (endorphins, etc.) that makes me want to come back the next time and makes me feel guilty if i miss my scheduled day.