Suddes

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Boorish behavior is unacceptable...no matter its form. Again, just an opinion. It is obvious that most disagree with mine on this issue.
I don’t disagree in substance -that boorish behavior is bad, constant bashing grates on the nerves and destroys community. I just have an opinion that is different when it comes to judging fan outcry. To repeat, given how bad our record has been, how bad some of our losses have been, and how inept the coaching has appeared, this level of protest seems mild compared to what some past coaches got. Our immediate past coach got filleted by a small vocal group whenever he didn’t win the Coastal.

Personally, I just skip over redundant arguments and don’t wallow in the negative. Much of what is said is nonsensical ranting. But the complaints about negative posters seems overblown to me at times. This is a sports message board for crying out loud.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I've been nuked just for making an innocuous little joke while posters have insinuated I'm "stupid" with no consequence at all.
Maybe your idea of boorish behavior is different from mine.
I have no issue at all with your complaint. We just don't have the resources (imo) tpo scrutinize every single post. I have always said we are like the police...we catch some of the speeders some of the time but not all of the speeders all of the time. Is it fair? If you said no I think that the idea has merit and is not unreasonable..

The overarching question is why do we need moderators to begin with. Every one who uses this site has agreed to abide by the rules set forth by John and Eric when they signed up here. But once "in the door"many choose to dfine their own terms and conditions. Again, no matter if you feel slighted by something we did or did not do, that does not justify boorish behavior. Nothing does. People use the "yeah but so and so did it..." card. I refuse to believe that our readership behaves like this as work. And, like the thread in the Basketball forum suggests, I think it may actually keep more reasonable folks from participating here.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
1643990816175.png
1643990878014.png

Attachments

• 1643990840684.png
    1643990840684.png
    435.3 KB · Views: 7

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Losing Suddes is unfortunate, as I believe he was a big part of CGC's schtick around recruiting and managing some of the social media angle that while polarizing to some of our fans seemed to be on the balance a net positive with young players. I will be interested to see what moves CGC makes now.

The problem I have with what ADTS is trying to do here is that I believe CGC is going to need an infusion of cash at the exact moment when the big money guys apparently went to ADTS and said, we have the money to fire the guy. We turned them down (rightly or wrongly we won't have to argue about because results on the field will show it more truly than any of us can). I don't know what tolerance they'll have to enter into bidding wars to keep the likes of CTC, CMC, and Suddes but so far - not enough to make them stay. Now it can be argued - and I don't disagree that there are other components at play here than just money but the point remains. Compensation is always a driving factor in what people do.

Moreover some of the challenge that our recruiting roles face is the pervasive nastiness and rank disgrace that some of our fans contribute to by being unrelentingly negative. If you're not happy with the program (and I am not either) speak with your wallet or kindly swallow the comments. No one scores cool points being snarky on here, but there is a real and consistent detriment to our social media presence when yahoos purporting to be our "fans" engage in negative back and forths with recruits/players family on twitter or Instagram or where ever else. To those of you who say, "my negative comments are just words and don't matter" please act accordingly and use common sense to not put them out in the universe then in an indelible and ever indexed way (thanks google).

Lastly, as to the candor of some of our posters - I recently heard this from Gary V, a famously profane person, and it could be instructive for all of us to watch:
(Warning: Audio has profanity - but it does have subtitles if you want to watch on mute)

and one more little nugget:

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
i think it just gets old listening to eeyore moaning and crying about everything all day. like if these people act like this IRL i pity the people that put up with them.

i think there’s also a certain smugness about many of them like they are so smart for saying how things are bad like no sh*t sherlock it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to point out how bad things are lol literally everyone is aware

it’s gotten to the point where the vocal ones have basically drawn a line in the sand of anything not throwing a tech pity party and moaning incessantly is blind support of collins and you’re just a collins burner etc. just breeds a really toxic environment here
Yes, if some come to internet message boards to voice their frustration with their team that has been really bad the last few years then that obviously means that they are completely miserable in real life and they are ruining the lives of everyone around them. Completely logical jump there.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Yes, if some come to internet message boards to voice their frustration with their team that has been really bad the last few years then that obviously means that they are completely miserable in real life and they are ruining the lives of everyone around them. Completely logical jump there.

It's one thing to express frustration, particularly occasionally. It's another thing entirely to actively try to convince others to be miserable and frustrated as well.

Or, even worse, belittle them because they aren't as miserable as you.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It's one thing to express frustration, particularly occasionally. It's another thing entirely to actively try to convince others to be miserable and frustrated as well.

Or, even worse, belittle them because they aren't as miserable as you.
I'm not sure that is the actual reality of what's going on but if you feel it is, then thats unfortunate. What im starting to realize is the real problem is that some on here are taking things way too seriously. There seems to be a fragileness to this site that doesn't really exist most other places. Go check out the Auburn boards. They are a train wreck right now. Their coach may be fired before the day is over. There is plenty of negativity, but it's not in a serious way. They still have fun with it., including the ones who are more positive. Even if you read GT threads on Reddit CFB, or any of the other GT boards there is plenty of negativity but its just handled better and it doesn't turn into fans that just hating each other back and forth. This isn't me trying to bash the site or its members, its just an observation from someone who posts in several places. The vibe here is very different for better or worse.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
COLLINS, hired Suddes and let him be a face of the recruiting.
Collins let all the coaches have twitter accounts. They all were allowed interviews w media.
All of those who left on there own got jobs at COLLEGE w bigger payroll.

Should he have kept them on a tighter leash?
Isnt this openness a great thing in recruiting staff as we try get better. ?

Collins is coaching like he will be here for a long time. If they win this year he could be. I am not a fan due to tardiness in cleaning house- but that could be because we are broke as compared to real football schools.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
My point - clearly not well articulated - is that the back and forth good on good sniping seems counter productive.

In real life, where you have social capital with people, the trash talk between friends is a great thing. Some of the text threads I’m on would make my mother blush and my wife embarrassed, but that’s in a closed off personal conversation. Among friends, and friends only.

I was trying to point out that constructive criticism is great and worthy of posting here.. saying “Collins suxxxx” or calling people with negative views of the direction of the program trolls is equally counterproductive to the discourse as people saying “next man up, no problems here boss” each time an issue is raised.

Somehow people devolve into attacking the character of the poster and not the problem at hand.

Our football program needs investment in time, money and effort. No doubt about that.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Maybe some of us don't think things are going well, but we also don't see the need to constantly bash our recruits, transfer recruits, and coaching staff. For much of the stuff, none of you have seen them coach one single second at GT. Nor have you seen the new players (HS or transfer) play one single second at GT.

Yet, every-single-thing is yet another reason to bash all of it, including the AD.

The facts are that CGC will be the head coach, Long will be OC, and Thacker will be DC (we all hope in title only), and the others will be doing their thing. That is the crew that GT is going to battle with next season.

The non stop bashing is what gets old.

This whole forum has become useless because of it.

I do not participate in the recruiting pages because I find the whole concept weird and sorta creepy following high school kids, but are there people ACTUALLY bashing recruits? I have not seen a single post in a normal thread **** talking any incoming players. I’ve seen a lot of generalized statements like “this class isn’t that great for a supposedly great recruiter” which is more of an attack on the coach and state of the program than specific kids.

As far as bashing the program and coach, I don’t know what you expect when we’ve won 3 games a year in 3 seasons.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
If we were 9-3 instead of 3-9, I'd agree. But we're three years into a perpetual 3-win vortex, so the negativity is a natural and understandable reaction.
If that were true, it would require stating only once. More than that, and it is working an agenda. It is the very reason Eric had to leave "Stingtalk" and start "The Swarm". Here we are 10 years later and the stingtalk children are attempting to ruin this site also.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I do not participate in the recruiting pages because I find the whole concept weird and sorta creepy following high school kids, but are there people ACTUALLY bashing recruits? I have not seen a single post in a normal thread **** talking any incoming players. I’ve seen a lot of generalized statements like “this class isn’t that great for a supposedly great recruiter” which is more of an attack on the coach and state of the program than specific kids.

As far as bashing the program and coach, I don’t know what you expect when we’ve won 3 games a year in 3 seasons.
I haven't seen recruit bashing at all. This "bashing recruits" stuff is a straw man contrivance.