Suddes

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If we were 9-3 instead of 3-9, I'd agree. But we're three years into a perpetual 3-win vortex, so the negativity is a natural and understandable reacti

I do not participate in the recruiting pages because I find the whole concept weird and sorta creepy following high school kids, but are there people ACTUALLY bashing recruits? I have not seen a single post in a normal thread **** talking any incoming players. I’ve seen a lot of generalized statements like “this class isn’t that great for a supposedly great recruiter” which is more of an attack on the coach and state of the program than specific kids.

As far as bashing the program and coach, I don’t know what you expect when we’ve won 3 games a year in 3 seasons.
MODERATORS ARE YOU GOING TO KEEP THE THREADS CLEAN?

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
This seems like a big loss because, by all accounts I've seen, Suddes was doing a great job. However, the loss of Suddes will have minimal bearing on the outcome of the 2022 season in my opinion. We have our players in place (assuming no other meaningful contributors leave) for this fall at least. In the long term, his departure could prove more of an issue. At the same time, it's also possible a quality replacement can be found at the general manager position. Some might even suggest Geoff Collins himself move from head coach to GM. It's hard for me to envision this happening at Tech and isn't happening this year, but I do suspect it would suit his talents better.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Suddes may be his biggest loss so far. Could have left for several reasons. More money; probable loss of job next year; or was he told to throttle back on some of his artistic ideas (probably not). In any event he had an opportunity and took it. The question I would have was who approached who first. Was he looking to leave? I do appreciate his body of work at GT and recognize the hours these guys give to the program. He is very imaginative.

slugboy

Staff member
The problem I have with what ADTS is trying to do here is that I believe CGC is going to need an infusion of cash at the exact moment when the big money guys apparently went to ADTS and said, we have the money to fire the guy. We turned them down (rightly or wrongly we won't have to argue about because results on the field will show it more truly than any of us can). I don't know what tolerance they'll have to enter into bidding wars to keep the likes of CTC, CMC, and Suddes but so far - not enough to make them stay. Now it can be argued - and I don't disagree that there are other components at play here than just money but the point remains. Compensation is always a driving factor in what people do.

Moreover some of the challenge that our recruiting roles face is the pervasive nastiness and rank disgrace that some of our fans contribute to by being unrelentingly negative. If you're not happy with the program (and I am not either) speak with your wallet or kindly swallow the comments. No one scores cool points being snarky on here, but there is a real and consistent detriment to our social media presence when yahoos purporting to be our "fans" engage in negative back and forths with recruits/players family on twitter or Instagram or where ever else. To those of you who say, "my negative comments are just words and don't matter" please act accordingly and use common sense to not put them out in the universe then in an indelible and ever indexed way (thanks google).
Stansbury had already put more money into the program before Collins arrived, then put in more when he hired Collins—especially in support positions. This past year he spent big for an offensive coordinator.

Just personal opinion, but I don't think a bidding war would have worked.

Also, when you tell your boss you're taking another job and they offer you a raise if you'll stay, the smart move is to take the new job.

I don't know if we'll see Suddes again, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Tashard or Marco back on the Flats someday.

According to back channels Ge Off was trying to secure a raise for him but could not get it done so this didn't occur.

The spending that Stansbury had already done + spending on new OC and maybe DB coach - a fed-up group of big donors = maxed-out budget = any raises Collins wants to give need to come from cuts somewhere else.
That somewhere else can be staff cuts or out of his salary or somewhere else, but there's a limited degree that you can underachieve to a larger budget.

Yea, Carina was extremely highly thought of. All 3 of those are big Ls.

Suddes is the biggest splash out of the three. If it was just Carina and Errin Joe, then it's young people making career moves that they have to make--there's only so much room for promotions. All three combined mean a loss of continuity plus a loss of talent.

Staff turnover is a normal thing. A lot of turnover is a bad sign. What's really a problem is if you can't replace departed people with more talented replacements. If you lose a 4*, you want at least a 4* coming in to replace them--whether it's a player or a coach or a staffer. A program that's going in the right direction makes upgrades.

Outside of Long and Tillman, our hiring may look rough this season. It's a gamble to join the staff when the head coach is fighting for his career.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Stansbury had already put more money into the program before Collins arrived, then put in more when he hired Collins—especially in support positions. This past year he spent big for an offensive coordinator.

Just personal opinion, but I don't think a bidding war would have worked.

Also, when you tell your boss you're taking another job and they offer you a raise if you'll stay, the smart move is to take the new job.

I don't know if we'll see Suddes again, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Tashard or Marco back on the Flats someday.

The spending that Stansbury had already done + spending on new OC and maybe DB coach - a fed-up group of big donors = maxed-out budget = any raises Collins wants to give need to come from cuts somewhere else.
That somewhere else can be staff cuts or out of his salary or somewhere else, but there's a limited degree that you can underachieve to a larger budget.

Suddes is the biggest splash out of the three. If it was just Carina and Errin Joe, then it's young people making career moves that they have to make--there's only so much room for promotions. All three combined mean a loss of continuity plus a loss of talent.

Staff turnover is a normal thing. A lot of turnover is a bad sign. What's really a problem is if you can't replace departed people with more talented replacements. If you lose a 4*, you want at least a 4* coming in to replace them--whether it's a player or a coach or a staffer. A program that's going in the right direction makes upgrades.

Outside of Long and Tillman, our hiring may look rough this season. It's a gamble to join the staff when the head coach is fighting for his career.
I was actually shocked Tillman left a pretty stable situation to join a quite possibly 1 year situation.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I was actually shocked Tillman left a pretty stable situation to join a quite possibly 1 year situation.
Don't know, but I wonder if it's possible he may have been nudged toward the door and didn't want to stay where he wasn't wanted.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, if some come to internet message boards to voice their frustration with their team that has been really bad the last few years then that obviously means that they are completely miserable in real life and they are ruining the lives of everyone around them. Completely logical jump there.

It's honestly baffling to me how out of touch with reality some of the posters here are with what happens when your team sucks and you go on the internet to talk about it. Entertaining at times but baffling nonetheless.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
True but "back in the day" your discsussions were limited more or less to your circle of friends. Like any decent conversation, after people said what they had to say once or twice they moved on to new talking points.

For whatever reason, when people are venting through a keyboard, apparently some sort of amnesia or perhaps dementia sets in. It would not be hard for me to select a group of posters and find 20 or 30 posts that literally are the same thought or idea repeated ad infinitum. Obviously I am not going to do that but it is possible and I daresay it would not require much effort. As I say, negativity is certainly understandable given recent circumstances. Incessant repetition is not. I am unclear as to why people do this when they don't in conversation. Just my opinion.
Because in conversation, someone is going to tell them to shut the **** up and walk away if they don't. On here, people (me too) are reluctant to "ignore" another font, for a myriad of reasons.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not that I want to derail the thread too much, but I think some of the frustration and annoyance regarding the negative posters is that not only is it repetitive, but it’s also pretty lazy. We all know the team is in a rough spot. We know that Collins has been falling well short of expectations. How about instead of just repeating that ad nauseum, we get into the specifics? What in particular are Collins and the staff doing poorly? What should they be doing instead? I know there’s a lot that happens behind closed doors, but we can still speculate. What caused the defensive breakdowns? Which players showed potential? How did Collins run his defenses at previous stops? Is he doing the same things at Tech? If not, why might he have made those decisions (whether right or wrong)? We can talk about all those things without giving an ounce of praise to anyone on the coaching staff. But that would actually require effort and thought. And that would be crazy. What do we look like, a bunch of Georgia Tech alumi?

But to keep things on track, I think Suddes leaving for UNC is concerning but not necessarily the harbinger of Armageddon. UNC is in a better spot than us financially, and he’s worked with Mack Brown before. Can any of us truly say that we wouldn’t take a raise to go work with a former boss we got along well with? At a company with better resources that will make the job easier?

bikeseat

GT Athlete
I've been nuked just for making an innocuous little joke while posters have insinuated I'm "stupid" with no consequence at all.
Maybe your idea of boorish behavior is different from mine.

Don't worry, I got nuked from orbit as well for having the temerity to say the word "p*ss". I was accused of indecency and corrupting the youth.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not that I want to derail the thread too much, but I think some of the frustration and annoyance regarding the negative posters is that not only is it repetitive, but it’s also pretty lazy. We all know the team is in a rough spot. We know that Collins has been falling well short of expectations. How about instead of just repeating that ad nauseum, we get into the specifics? What in particular are Collins and the staff doing poorly? What should they be doing instead? I know there’s a lot that happens behind closed doors, but we can still speculate. What caused the defensive breakdowns? Which players showed potential? How did Collins run his defenses at previous stops? Is he doing the same things at Tech? If not, why might he have made those decisions (whether right or wrong)? We can talk about all those things without giving an ounce of praise to anyone on the coaching staff. But that would actually require effort and thought. And that would be crazy. What do we look like, a bunch of Georgia Tech alumi?

But to keep things on track, I think Suddes leaving for UNC is concerning but not necessarily the harbinger of Armageddon. UNC is in a better spot than us financially, and he’s worked with Mack Brown before. Can any of us truly say that we wouldn’t take a raise to go work with a former boss we got along well with? At a company with better resources that will make the job easier?

It's also a pretty good promotion. He's going from being the GM of a football program to an Assistant Athletic Director. Since his goal is to become an AD himself, this is a logical move up the ladder for him.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
One time? Like all one's negativity contained in one post, back, say, sometime two years ago? A quaint and naive idea, that.
Yes. That is a strange concept. All comments should only be said once.

CGC is a great recruiter but you only get to say it once.

The “triple option” is antiquated but only say that once.

Jeff Sims is young and has tremendous potential but just say that once.

The money people are no longer backing Collins, say it once.

Some fans are poor fans and just say that once.

Some people on here know nothing about football but for god’s sake just say that once.

Some people are negative. Can we just say that once!

Some people have drunk the kool aid but once is enough to say that.

It takes years to transition to the kind of offensive line we need but once is enough on that.

First year didn’t count because of CPJ recruits; second year didn’t count because of Covid; third year didn’t count because first 2 years put us behind schedule. That deserves to be said -once.

Fire coach Collins. Duh dude, you’ve said that already.

I could easily add 20 more examples of things that get repeated over and over but if all those were only said once there would be crickets for days on some of these threads.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yes. That is a strange concept. All comments should only be said once.

CGC is a great recruiter but you only get to say it once.

The “triple option” is antiquated but only say that once.

Jeff Sims is young and has tremendous potential but just say that once.

The money people are no longer backing Collins, say it once.

Some fans are poor fans and just say that once.

Some people on here know nothing about football but for god’s sake just say that once.

Some people are negative. Can we just say that once!

Some people have drunk the kool aid but once is enough to say that.

It takes years to transition to the kind of offensive line we need but once is enough on that.

First year didn’t count because of CPJ recruits; second year didn’t count because of Covid; third year didn’t count because first 2 years put us behind schedule. That deserves to be said -once.

Fire coach Collins. Duh dude, you’ve said that already.

I could easily add 20 more examples of things that get repeated over and over but if all those were only said once there would be crickets for days on some of these threads.
Variations on the same thoughts crop up in different conversations and in different contexts, naturally. And everyone, everyone, has repeated himself on this board.

I wish Collins had said "404", "ATL", and "elite" once, and then gotten on to actual coaching. But I repeat myself...

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just asking not that it matter but what are we paying the Offensive coordinator