Suddes

Squints

Helluva Engineer
This implies that we behave in an acceptable fashion only when we are forced to when the boss is watching. As Coach Wooten said awhile back, "character is what you do when nobody's watching".
Spare me the platitudes. This here implies that there is a universal 'acceptable fashion' in which to behave which is not the case, never has been, and never will be. To think otherwise is completely out of touch with reality. Acceptable behavior at the dinner table at home is not the same as acceptable behavior while at a sports bar watching the game. Acceptable behavior at a birthday party is not the same as acceptable behavior at a wake. The way I behave on an online message board is not the same way I behave at work (though it's probably closer than you think :p). What's acceptable is determined by a variety of factors of the environment the behavior is occurring in. Some of those include a set of rules that's agreed upon and enforced as well as community conventions that are adopted over time. You're a mod. If you truly think people are behaving in an unacceptable fashion you have the power to do something about it.

I have always maintained that the anonymity aspect of these things embolden people to speak to and about others in ways in which you don't see in day to day interactions with other people. I like to believe even our most boorish and obnoxious posters here would actually be pretty decent people if one were to sitdown and discuss these matters over a beer or cocktail.

The anonymity plays a role but it's not as large as you'd think. Spend some time on social media where there isn't anonymity and you'll see people being behaving the same way and far worse. And I hope I'm misunderstanding you but being boorish or obnoxious on a message message board somehow makes you less then a decent person? I realize the level of sanctimoniousness on here the past few months has been through the roof but yeesh.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Spare me the platitudes. This here implies that there is a universal 'acceptable fashion' in which to behave which is not the case, never has been, and never will be. To think otherwise is completely out of touch with reality. Acceptable behavior at the dinner table at home is not the same as acceptable behavior while at a sports bar watching the game. Acceptable behavior at a birthday party is not the same as acceptable behavior at a wake. The way I behave on an online message board is not the same way I behave at work (though it's probably closer than you think :p). What's acceptable is determined by a variety of factors of the environment the behavior is occurring in. Some of those include a set of rules that's agreed upon and enforced as well as community conventions that are adopted over time. You're a mod. If you truly think people are behaving in an unacceptable fashion you have the power to do something about it.

The anonymity plays a role but it's not as large as you'd think. Spend some time on social media where there isn't anonymity and you'll see people being behaving the same way and far worse. And I hope I'm misunderstanding you but being boorish or obnoxious on a message message board somehow makes you less then a decent person? I realize the level of sanctimoniousness on here the past few months has been through the roof but yeesh.
You don't have to be a mod to be weary as hell of this attitude.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What's acceptable is determined by a variety of factors of the environment the behavior is occurring in. Some of those include a set of rules that's agreed upon and enforced as well as community conventions that are adopted over time. You're a mod. If you truly think people are behaving in an unacceptable fashion you have the power to do something about it.
On a message board that is owned and moderated by individuals "agreed upon" is not a factor that is necessary. If you are at my house and acting in a behavior that is not acceptable to me, I can ask to you either change your behavior or force you to leave my house. On this message board, if John and/or the mods think behavior is not acceptable, it isn't regardless of your opinion or mine.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
You don't have to be a mod to be weary as hell of this attitude.

I'm really not sure of what attitude you're referring to. All I'm saying is that people are going to behave differently in different environments. Expecting otherwise is setting yourself up for disappointment. This isn't a place of business and it's not a country club. It's an internet message board. It is what it is. As someone who has moderated internet communities before I understand the weariness. I truly do. It can be a thankless job. My own weariness at the bull**** is part of why I barely posted in the football forum in the last 5 or so years. But venting about a bad team on an internet message board is not against the rules you guys set and it's par for the course when a team is bad. And what I've seen here is definitely mild compared to others I've been on. If it frustrates you that much just do something else with your time or throw people on your ignore list. I'm sure I'm on quite a few and I couldn't care less about it.

Personally, I find the discourse bemoaning the state of the board and the holier than thou attitude from some to be more wearying then any of the negativity about the team. I've taken steps to minimize the amount of that stuff I have to deal with. If we all did that the general temperature of the board would be much lower and I bet some of us would enjoy our time here more.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
On a message board that is owned and moderated by individuals "agreed upon" is not a factor that is necessary.
It is a factor. By creating an account and using the board you are agreeing to the rules that have been set by the moderators. So as a user you may not get a say in setting those rules but there is an agreement that they will be followed. If you break that agreement you can be suspended or banned.

If you are at my house and acting in a behavior that is not acceptable to me, I can ask to you either change your behavior or force you to leave my house. On this message board, if John and/or the mods think behavior is not acceptable, it isn't regardless of your opinion or mine.
Right. I have no beef with this whatsoever. That's generally how this stuff should work. I have been warned and occasionally muted in threads before. I haven't always agreed with the decision but I don't make a thing of it and life goes on.