State of program

Eli

Helluva Engineer
O’Leary actually had better options. Johnson never has (no matter what agent bs some posters on this board choose to believe).

What exactly does that prove? Do you think o Leary could come right now in his prime with the ACC the way it is now and new APR standards and win 10 games?

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
So BC and Wake are a better loss than duke? Okay guy. With the best quarterback to ever be on the flats. Paul has never went 0-12 as a coach either check your boys last year at UCF
CPJ has never killed a kid in drills, either. O'Leary can burn as far as I'm concerned.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
He was a world beater. You’re just too young to remember. Friedgen was an offensive genius who could fit his offense to whatever talent was available.

CPJ isn’t in the same class as either of those coaches.
I agree O'Leary and Friedgen are talented coaches, but I think you might be the one having a hard time remembering their era. O'Leary went 6-5, 5-6, & 7-5 his first 3 years. In 1998 GT went 10-2 with Hamilton. GT came into 1999 expected to win the ACC and be top ranked nationally, yet GT finished 8-4. Godsey came out of nowhere in 2000 and GT finished 9-3. Once again, GT was expected to win the ACC and compete nationally in 2001, but GT once again regressed to 8-5.

Could you please explain to me how O'Leary and Friedgen were "world beaters". I am really looking forward to learning something I must not know...

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
They beat the worst UGA teams of the last two decades 3 times in a row, and that's all some people remember.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I agree O'Leary and Friedgen are talented coaches, but I think you might be the one having a hard time remembering their era. O'Leary went 6-5, 5-6, & 7-5 his first 3 years. In 1998 GT went 10-2 with Hamilton. GT came into 1999 expected to win the ACC and be top ranked nationally, yet GT finished 8-4. Godsey came out of nowhere in 2000 and GT finished 9-3. Once again, GT was expected to win the ACC and compete nationally in 2001, but GT once again regressed to 8-5.

Could you please explain to me how O'Leary and Friedgen were "world beaters". I am really looking forward to learning something I must not know...

Check O Learys record against FSU. Everyone wants to harp on Paul against the big 4 Va Tech, Clemson, Miami and UGA. But o Leary never beat FSU . And were slaughtered every time. There was no big 4 just Florida State and mediocre uga. In fact that potent offense put up 7 points against florida state in 98 lol people on here hang Paul for putting up 10 on Clemson

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Check O Learys record against FSU. Everyone wants to harp on Paul against the big 4 Va Tech, Clemson, Miami and UGA. But o Leary never beat FSU . And were slaughtered every time. There was no big 4 just Florida State and mediocre uga
Eli, I'm on your side in this argument about CPJ vs. GOL. But FSU did not slaughter us in 1999 with Joe, Joe had a fantastic game and narrowly lost, 41-35.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

You know full well those first three years were fixing a catastrophic mess. You also know a fairly major world event turned the 2001 season on its ear. You also know we got screwed against Ugag in 97.

Find me a three year run at Tech post-Dodd that touches 98-00. Hell find me a four year run that matches 98-01 even with that last year. I doubt you could even find a five year run that matches 97-01.

O’Leary’s disappointing season was 8-5 with a bowl win over a top 15 opponent. Johnson’s were a 6-7 season following an Orange Bowl appearance, a 7-7 season, a 3-9 season, and a soon to be 5-6 season. All of which were teams made up of mainly or all his recruits.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
You know full well those first three years were fixing a catastrophic mess. You also know a fairly major world event turned the 2001 season on its ear. You also know we got screwed against Ugag in 97.

Find me a three year run at Tech post-Dodd that touches 98-00. Hell find me a four year run that matches 98-01 even with that last year. I doubt you could even find a five year run that matches 97-01.

O’Leary’s disappointing season was 8-5 with a bowl win over a top 15 opponent. Johnson’s were a 6-7 season following an Orange Bowl appearance, a 7-7 season, a 3-9 season, and a soon to be 5-6 season. All of which were teams made up of mainly or all his recruits.

If you'e gonna blame 2001 on 9/11 Then blame this year on hurricane Irma makes sense

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
We lost by 23 at Duke...... that says it all. I'm the biggest GT fan you will find but after today I'm done. Do I like the TO and PJ? Yea but something has to change. That was worse than MTSU or Byu. I can take getting beat by a better team but today they quit. Next week is our bowl game. If they don't come out swinging and at least show a fight then it doesn't look good going into next year.

We lost by 23 at Duke...... that says it all. I'm the biggest GT fan you will find but after today I'm done. Do I like the TO and PJ? Yea but something has to change. That was worse than MTSU or Byu. I can take getting beat by a better team but today they quit. Next week is our bowl game. If they don't come out swinging and at least show a fight then it doesn't look good going into next year.
They didn't "quit" today; they never showed up.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
The simple facts are that we can't afford to make a change this year, even if we wanted to. And I don't want to be 10th in line on the coaching carousel anyway.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They beat the worst UGA teams of the last two decades 3 times in a row, and that's all some people remember.

False. CPJ lost to the three worst UGag teams in the last two decades.

CPJ lost to:
2009: 8-5 NR (with an effing orange bowl team)
2010: 6-7 NR
2013: 8-5 NR

GOL beat:
98: 9-3 #14
99: 8-4 #16
00: 8-4 #17

If not for some terrible refs he would have also beat a 10-2 #10 UGA team in 97.