State of program

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
We lost by 23 at Duke...... that says it all. I'm the biggest GT fan you will find but after today I'm done. Do I like the TO and PJ? Yea but something has to change. That was worse than MTSU or Byu. I can take getting beat by a better team but today they quit. Next week is our bowl game. If they don't come out swinging and at least show a fight then it doesn't look good going into next year.

I find the idea of our team "quitting" to be disturbing. I know that we played poorly but I would hope that our players have enough pride in themselves to keep playing hard. I don't know. They were definitely lacking focus on the job at hand. Seems like a few of them were actually "dancing" on the sidelines. I believe that Coach Johnson needs to take a hard look at his staff and some of his players and see if they are truly committed to working to get better. If not, they should be encouraged to seek "other opportunities".

Eli

Helluva Engineer
False. CPJ lost to the three worst UGag teams in the last two decades.

CPJ lost to:
2009: 8-5 NR (with an effing orange bowl team)
2010: 6-7 NR
2013: 8-5 NR

GOL beat:
98: 9-3 #14
99: 8-4 #16
00: 8-4 #17

If not for some terrible refs he would have also beat a 10-2 #10 UGA team in 97.

True but you can't have it both ways they were screwed on the jasper sanks fumble

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
False. CPJ lost to the three worst UGag teams in the last two decades.

CPJ lost to:
2009: 8-5 NR (with an effing orange bowl team)
2010: 6-7 NR
2013: 8-5 NR

GOL beat:
98: 9-3 #14
99: 8-4 #16
00: 8-4 #17

If not for some terrible refs he would have also beat a 10-2 #10 UGA team in 97.

Coach Donnan was a good coach. Probably not the best financial adviser one could use but definitely a good recruiter and good coach.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I find the idea of our team "quitting" to be disturbing. I know that we played poorly but I would hope that our players have enough pride in themselves to keep playing hard. I don't know. They were definitely lacking focus on the job at hand. Seems like a few of them were actually "dancing" on the sidelines. I believe that Coach Johnson needs to take a hard look at his staff and some of his players and see if they are truly committed to working to get better. If not, they should be encouraged to seek "other opportunities".
Well I'm not sure you can quit if you never show up but if what we put on the field today was showing up it definitely looked like we will the moment there score was 27-20.

OldGold86

Georgia Tech Fan
My recollection of that game is of George O'Leary storming down the sideline to find and chew out the defensive coordinator after another FSU score following a Tech scoring drive. While a number of things have changed at Tech since then, one thing is the same. The DC.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Well I'm not sure you can quit if you never show up but if what we put on the field today was showing up it definitely looked like we will the moment there score was 27-20.

Maybe that is what I meant. We never showed up. One thing is for sure, there is very little evidence of team leadership or sound coaching of defensive fundamentals that I can see. If there is not a drastic change in attitudes from the top down in the space of one week, UGA will absolutely run us off our home field.

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
If you'e gonna blame 2001 on 9/11 Then blame this year on hurricane Irma makes sense
You have no clue what your talking about. Tech destroyed Navy 70-7 the week before 9-11. FSU was next. I’m not saying they would have beat FSU. But that team was rolling. Game was rescheduled until the end of the year. Tech has 2 weeks off. Those kids did not want to be in Atlanta. No one knew what was going to happen it was nervous times in a big city. But you were 8-9 years old.
Comparing Irma to 9-11 is moronic

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Of course he would. I don't think Godsey would do well in our offense. But to your point, Godsey played two years, and GT regressed to the mean with him at QB.

The difference is Fridge could take CPJ’s personnel any year and win with every one of them. Fridge was an offensive genius. CPJ is a guy with a scheme who can not adjust in any macro sense.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
You know full well those first three years were fixing a catastrophic mess. You also know a fairly major world event turned the 2001 season on its ear. You also know we got screwed against Ugag in 97.

Find me a three year run at Tech post-Dodd that touches 98-00. Hell find me a four year run that matches 98-01 even with that last year. I doubt you could even find a five year run that matches 97-01.

O’Leary’s disappointing season was 8-5 with a bowl win over a top 15 opponent. Johnson’s were a 6-7 season following an Orange Bowl appearance, a 7-7 season, a 3-9 season, and a soon to be 5-6 season. All of which were teams made up of mainly or all his recruits.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think you are seeing things in a way that "fits" your agenda.

We just won't count O'Leary's first 3 seasons, or that he continually underachieved when GT was expected to produce great results.

As for the 97 UGA game, we got just as lucky to win in 99, I still mail Jasper Sanks a Xmas card every year.

And we didn't get screwed in 2001, all teams were equally affected by 9/11.

Personally, I view 98-01 as rather disappointing. Not because we didn't have success, but b/c we didn't meet expectations in 99 & 01. It was a BIG LET DOWN.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
What's funny is people think we will hire the next Bobby Ross when we could just as easily hire a Paul Hewitt who puts our program into oblivion

I am afraid the coaching pool for this year is rather shallow and the list of big name schools wanting to make a splash is lengthy starting with Florida, Tennessee, Nebraska and God only knows who else.