State of program

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Respectfully, when you read my posted belief about not being "out-talented by Duke and UVA", what inspired your thoroughly-irrelevant point about uga talent?

I could not begin to care less how long you've been a fan of the program. That too is irrelevant. What does appear clear is that you don't see any real issues getting waxed by Duke 3 of 4 years in a row and, in all 3 cases, being down 20+ pts to them. Getting outplayed and outcoached by Duke, a school that's the very definition of a never-was football program.

Not UGA. Not Clemson. Not Miami.

Duke.

SMH.

But go ahead and make another off-topic response where you point out Kirby Shart's recruiting ease or how easy it is for Miami to pull in recruits in FLA or some other crap that isn't relevant.

Duke and UVA are ****ty never-was football programs that we should defeat more often than we should lose to. That your expectations for our program are so low is your problem, not mine.

Ok. For starters my reference to uga was accidental and caused by autocorrect. If you had half a brain you would have realized that when I also referenced coach George Welsh. But alas.

The only reason I earlier mentioned I've been a fan of Tech since the 70's is because you accused me to be more of a fan of CPJ's scheme. You seem to make a habbit of making asinine assumptions about others simply because they disagree with your similarly asinine assumptions about football and our coaching staff.

Is that on topic enough for ya Nancy?

Edit: and for the record...I count on 2 fingers the number of times during my life, imo, that Tech has had more overall talent than the mutts (not UVA but the mutts). We lost one of those. I think every other win I've witnessed Tech earn vs them has been in spite of a talent deficit.

Last edited:

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Respectfully, we should never be outclassed, out-talented, nor outplayed by the likes of Duke and UVA.

I agree in principle. BUT the problem with this line of thinking is that you are relying on past history and ignoring the present.

It's like SEC teams in the 90's saying, "We should never be beat by Florida ... they never even won an SEC championship and now we're losing to them?" Bear Bryant even once remarked that Florida would never win an SEC title because, "with all those pretty things walking around in bikinis football is the last thing on a boy's mind."

People think that Duke is an ACC doormat which was true pre-Cutcliffe. But they are making tremendous progress in football. Their facilities are upgraded and they have more recruiting staff than us. Look, nobody likes losing to Duke especially because of past history, but if we don't accept that they're getting better (which no one can argue) then we're just blind to facts. As PJ has said before, this is not the ACC of old.

Interesting factoid that PJ mentioned on his radio show: From 1970-2006 Clemson had six ten win seasons. They've now had 7 straight. They've also played for 2 straight national championships and possibly will play for a third. Clearly they've gotten better - it's not like they were a perennial 10-win team for 40 years and just recently became a perennial 12-win program. They've committed themselves to becoming an elite program.

And therein lies the rub. Will GT commit itself to helping the football team compete? I think Stansbury will give it a tremendous shot ... and we as fans have to respond with our pocketbooks and game attendance, not with "BALL GAME" comments in swarm chat on game day when you're 10 miles from BDS.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree in principle. BUT the problem with this line of thinking is that you are relying on past history and ignoring the present.

It's like SEC teams in the 90's saying, "We should never be beat by Florida ... they never even won an SEC championship and now we're losing to them?" Bear Bryant even once remarked that Florida would never win an SEC title because, "with all those pretty things walking around in bikinis football is the last thing on a boy's mind."

People think that Duke is an ACC doormat which was true pre-Cutcliffe. But they are making tremendous progress in football. Their facilities are upgraded and they have more recruiting staff than us. Look, nobody likes losing to Duke especially because of past history, but if we don't accept that they're getting better (which no one can argue) then we're just blind to facts. As PJ has said before, this is not the ACC of old.

Interesting factoid that PJ mentioned on his radio show: From 1970-2006 Clemson had six ten win seasons. They've now had 7 straight. They've also played for 2 straight national championships and possibly will play for a third. Clearly they've gotten better - it's not like they were a perennial 10-win team for 40 years and just recently became a perennial 12-win program. They've committed themselves to becoming an elite program.

And therein lies the rub. Will GT commit itself to helping the football team compete? I think Stansbury will give it a tremendous shot ... and we as fans have to respond with our pocketbooks and game attendance, not with "BALL GAME" comments in swarm chat on game day when you're 10 miles from BDS.
385 one way, we are in our seats as soon as open. Tech football at bds in late 60 's was great. Only cup cakes were acc and swc.
Hope we can get all back on board and cheering as one.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yes. But if Eason graduates he can go wherever he chooses. As a grad transfer, Kirby can't block him.
I am not sure that is correct. Seems that was a problem with a couple of graduated xfers who still had a year of eligibility left and the coaches wanted it used with them.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I am not sure that is correct. Seems that was a problem with a couple of graduated xfers who still had a year of eligibility left and the coaches wanted it used with them.

I'm pretty sure the coaches can't block a grad transfer. The issue is that the athlete has to transfer into a grad program that their current school does not have.

Animal02

Banned
I'm pretty sure the coaches can't block a grad transfer. The issue is that the athlete has to transfer into a grad program that their current school does not have.
“The graduate exception is a version of the one-time transfer exception. It is for student-athletes who cannot use the normal one-time transfer exception because they play one of the sports that are not permitted to use the exception.

• The student-athlete must have graduated with at least a bachelor’s degree;
  • The student-athlete meets the other requirements of the one-time transfer exception;
  • The student-athlete must have at least one season of competition left; and
  • The student-athlete’s previous school did not renew his or her athletic scholarship or offer an athletic scholarship for the following academic year.
The requirement that the scholarship be cancelled or not renewed is generally not an issue. The scholarship does not need to be cancelled before the transfer or be the reason for the transfer. Because the one-time transfer exception requires you to get a release, what will happen with your scholarship is generally just an administrative detail.

Graduate Transfer Waiver
The graduate transfer waiver is now typically used by athletes who have previous transferred once before and so cannot use the one-time transfer exception (even as a graduate student).

A letter from the previous school saying it does not object to the student-athlete being eligible;

Documentation that the student-athlete has been accepted into a specific graduate degree program;

Documentation about whether that degree program is offered by the previous school;
A student-athlete statement including the reasons for the transfer; and

A statement from the previous institution about the student-athlete’s status on the team.

Generally the heart of the waiver is the three middle bullets. The NCAA wants to see that the student-athlete transferred in order to continue his or her academic career by pursuing a graduate degree not offered at the previous school.”
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
“The graduate exception is a version of the one-time transfer exception. It is for student-athletes who cannot use the normal one-time transfer exception because they play one of the sports that are not permitted to use the exception.

• The student-athlete must have graduated with at least a bachelor’s degree;
  • The student-athlete meets the other requirements of the one-time transfer exception;
  • The student-athlete must have at least one season of competition left; and
  • The student-athlete’s previous school did not renew his or her athletic scholarship or offer an athletic scholarship for the following academic year.
The requirement that the scholarship be cancelled or not renewed is generally not an issue. The scholarship does not need to be cancelled before the transfer or be the reason for the transfer. Because the one-time transfer exception requires you to get a release, what will happen with your scholarship is generally just an administrative detail.

Graduate Transfer Waiver
The graduate transfer waiver is now typically used by athletes who have previous transferred once before and so cannot use the one-time transfer exception (even as a graduate student).

A letter from the previous school saying it does not object to the student-athlete being eligible;

Documentation that the student-athlete has been accepted into a specific graduate degree program;

Documentation about whether that degree program is offered by the previous school;
A student-athlete statement including the reasons for the transfer; and

A statement from the previous institution about the student-athlete’s status on the team.

Generally the heart of the waiver is the three middle bullets. The NCAA wants to see that the student-athlete transferred in order to continue his or her academic career by pursuing a graduate degree not offered at the previous school.”
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm
Thanks. That clarifies it.