Stansbury on 680 at 3:45pm

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You’re like a kid changing the rules of a game you’re losing in. “the offense couldn’t do anything on 3rd and 5”. “Yeah it could. Here’s the stats.” “I meat 3rd and longer”. “Here’s stats to show that too, is incorrect”. “Uh- I meant only when they called a pass play on 3rd and 21 and 3 quarters!”

I find it hard to believe we were considered efficient in passing situations. Do the rankings take into account all the times we dropped back but couldn’t get a pass off? I wonder what our sack/scramble % was on those downs compared to everyone else? I know I never felt confident in passing downs this year.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
You’re like a kid changing the rules of a game you’re losing in. “the offense couldn’t do anything on 3rd and 5”. “Yeah it could. Here’s the stats.” “I meat 3rd and longer”. “Here’s stats to show that too, is incorrect”. “Uh- I meant only when they called a pass play on 3rd and 21 and 3 quarters!”
Like I said, should’ve used better expample. Really meant that GT couldn’t not pass on passing downs.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Once again you misunderstood my OP and wasted time finding meaningless stats that didn’t prove my point ( Not being able to Pass on Passing downs) wrong.
Until it’s 3rd down and more than 5...
You literally said 3rd and more than 5. I then provided the S&P+ metric directly tied to what you said.

You may have typed something wrong, but I misunderstood nothing.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Once again you misunderstood my OP and wasted time finding meaningless stats that didn’t prove my point ( Not being able to Pass on Passing downs) wrong.

Are you really that dumb? How does your point prove anything? You want him to go collect stats for 3rd down conversions, but only when we passed it, and ignore all the times when we converted 3rd downs of comparable length running the ball? Who the f* cares what that stat shows.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I find it hard to believe we were considered efficient in passing situations. Do the rankings take into account all the times we dropped back but couldn’t get a pass off? I wonder what our sack/scramble % was on those downs compared to everyone else? I know I never felt confident in passing downs this year.

We might not have been this year(haven’t checked), but he was broadly talking about CPJ’s overall time here and our best seasons we were considered efficient in passing situations.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The stat i listed is:
If you are 3rd and 5+, the play is considered.
If the play gains 100% of the available yards (ie gains a first down), it is deemed a success.

The type of play does not matter. It calls it "Passing S&P" to indicate it is a "passing down" not that it was a pass play.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
You literally said 3rd and more than 5. I then provided the S&P+ metric directly tied to what you said.

You may have typed something wrong, but I misunderstood nothing.
You very simply did Misunderstand the point I was trying to make. Also the stat you provided wasn’t straight up conversion rates of 3rd down and 5 scenarios anyway.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
You very simply did Misunderstand the point I was trying to make. Also the stat you provided wasn’t straight up conversion rates of 3rd down and 5 scenarios anyway.
Wrong again. Holy moly
by determining whether every play of a given game was successful or not. The terms of success in college football: 50 percent of necessary yardage on first down, 70 percent on second down, and 100 percent on third and fourth down.
100% on third and fourth means you must convert.

Like I said, at least you have passion.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Are you really that dumb? How does your point prove anything? You want him to go collect stats for 3rd down conversions, but only when we passed it, and ignore all the times when we converted 3rd downs of comparable length running the ball? Who the f* cares what that stat shows.
Yes because the point I was trying to make is GT was unsuccessful passing the football on passing downs during CPJ era.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
We might not have been this year(haven’t checked), but he was broadly talking about CPJ’s overall time here and our best seasons we were considered efficient in passing situations.

I agree that I always thought the whole GT doesn’t like third and long thing was overblown until these past 2 years. Our qb play has been simply atrocious recently and I did get to where I lost hope on third and long.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Depends on what is considered a passing down. 3rd and 15? Dwyer converted that on a routine dive play against Clemson in 2008. The point is moot. Doesn’t matter how you move the chains, just move ‘um and Paul moved ‘um more than he didn’t.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Just for the record, attendence from 2007-2017 across all of College football is down over 10%. That's a pretty terrible argument to make regarding Gailey.
Programs with Fans like GT are part of the reason it’s going down.
Wrong again. Holy moly

100% on third and fourth means you must convert.

Like I said, at least you have passion.
This whole time you’ve showed me a meaningless stat that hasn’t proved my original argument that GT hasn’t passed the ball well on passing downs wrong. Also no I’m not wrong, those plays I just talked about aren’t straight up conversion rates of GT passing on passing downs like I asked for. I’ve also tried to explain to you that I didn’t mean GT wasnt good on 3rd and 5+ I meant they couldn’t throw the ball, and that I should’ve worded it better, but you’ve continued to beat a dead horse.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
No doubt. We were very good with Thomas. Our inability to replace him is the reason we are looking for a coach.

Hard to pin that on Paul. He had 1 QB with a life threatening injury, 1 transfer due to academics, and 1 season ending injury.