Stansbury on 680 at 3:45pm

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
Just started at around 3:51. He was on air for about ~8-9 minutes.

TS said he wasn't totally caught off-guard by CPJ's decision, but when they met this morning he said "it was surprising" when it became reality. He confirmed that Paul decided it's time. He did not use the word "retire" - instead he is saying CPJ wants to spend some time with his family. They asked TS if it's retirement or just a break from coaching, TS said that's up to Paul and he's not sure which way he'll go down the road.

TS said he didn't try to talk CPJ out of it but wanted to make sure it was what CPJ really wanted to do. He said he left it up to CPJ and that's what CPJ decided.

When asked if it was going to be TS hiring the next guy (and not donors in his ear, etc.), TS said he is going to consult with others to make sure his reaosning is sound, but he will definitely be playing a big part in the search. They asked TS if a coach's offensive philosophy (aka the 3O) would either include or exclude candidates. He said he's not really looking at that, it's more about overall fit. I think he was saying the offensive philosophy isn't as important as the coach's personality, culture fit, etc. (I understood this to mean they would not bring in Jeff Monken just because he runs the 3O, for example.)

Timeframe: GT wants to move as quickly as they can. He mentioned something about being much further in the process by next week, but they want to make sure they bring in the right guy.

EDIT: TS thinks this announcement might make GT a more attractive candidate for bowls local to the South since many fans will likely want to see CPJ's last game. There's a little bit more of a storyline about the game now. I think that's a good point.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I really do like TS. He has a vision for GT Athletics and a plan for it. He's a good fundraiser and has been at a place that was an engineering-oriented school and played second fiddle to the big dawg in state (when he was AD at Oregon State).

But geez ... when he talks he reminds me of the Peanuts parents: very monotone, says "uuummmmm" a lot. He could use a few courses in our hoped-for communications degree.