Stansbury on 680 at 3:45pm

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Why? Do you hate having an explosive offense or something? Do you want to have the POS offense Gailey ran? I just don’t understand not wanting one of the best offenses there is out there. I don’t want something everyone else runs.
It’s a sore thumb on the program, look at it through the eyes of a 19 year old... (which I am) I know how people my age feel about it and how negatively it effects GT’s image and ability to recruit. I know most of the older people have seen it all and just want to win, but I want sustainable success because of the players we have not the offense we run.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It’s a sore thumb on the program, look at it through the eyes of a 19 year old... (which I am) I know how people my age feel about it and how negatively it effects GT’s image and ability to recruit. I know most of the older people have seen it all and just want to win, but I want sustainable success because of the players we have not the offense we run.
Running a "sustainable successful" program around players when they have a 4-5 year shelf life AT MAX is by definition impossible. Systems win championships.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Running a "sustainable successful" program around players when they have a 4-5 year shelf life AT MAX is by definition impossible. Systems win championships.
What I’m saying is I want Tech to be good without having to run a gimmicky offense that has gone extinct in the P5 for a reason.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
What I’m saying is I want Tech to be good without having to run a gimmicky offense that has gone extinct in the P5 for a reason.

In the words of former Ga Tech head coach Paul Johnson when asked why he relies so heavily on an unbalanced offense.
“I don’t want to be balanced,” Johnson said. “I can find a bunch of teams with losing records that are balanced.” ajc 7/28/2018

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I enjoyed Stansbury's interview. To me he's got a great personality - a few "umm's" in there understandably, which is fine because it means he's thinking about what he's saying, but he's got great humor, easy-going, good responses to the actual questions, and exudes maturity.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
In the words of former Ga Tech head coach Paul Johnson when asked why he relies so heavily on an unbalanced offense.
“I don’t want to be balanced,” Johnson said. “I can find a bunch of teams with losing records that are balanced.” ajc 7/28/2018
I miss him already. He was a smug SOB.... but he was OUR smug SOB!

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
The thing I love about the option is that it is a system breaker. By that, I mean it doesn’t matter what the defense runs normally, they all adapt to our formation. Whether blitzing A gaps, the umbrella 4-3, or a 5 man front, there are only so many ways to skin the cat, and we theoretically had a counter to them all.
It also allowed us the freedom to move the ball without the massive tackles or throwing QB that are required to run the pro style, which Chan grew one of the former and never got the latter in recruiting. Their are only so many to go around, and we aren’t in the club.
I think we need to run a David strategy still, but that doesn’t necessarily mean flexbone. There are other systems out there that can put pressure on the defense and we can recruit to.
But no offensive system is a panacea. You still need good players, and you need high level QB play.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I respect your opinion, but I don't think you're using "gimmicky" correctly.
Also, for GT to have "what every other P5 school does/has done" in their decision making process seems very flawed.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Why? Do you hate having an explosive offense or something? Do you want to have the POS offense Gailey ran? I just don’t understand not wanting one of the best offenses there is out there. I don’t want something everyone else runs.

Kill the program why don’t you. Let it go.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I want an open minded coach who can evolve a program and one who can recruit. The next coach doesn’t need to be our offensive coordinator but one who knows who to hire to transition our offense and be effective with who we have on the roster.