Stansbury on 680 at 3:45pm

LibertyTurns

Banned
My friend, you were only 8 when Paul Johnson started so you may not remember this, but Georgia Tech’s offense was way more boring with CALVIN JOHNSON. I’m not saying we can’t do better than the option, but be careful what you wish for.
You ain’t seen nothing unless you’ve sat in the stands for 3+ hrs wondering whether or not your QB will throw the ball again to the best college receiver ever somewhere in the same zip code as the stadium.

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
My connections are way below FB head coach hire influence, but the name that I hear a lot is Willie Fritz.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Why? Do you hate having an explosive offense or something? Do you want to have the POS offense Gailey ran? I just don’t understand not wanting one of the best offenses there is out there. I don’t want something everyone else runs.

Mind you, I’m not against the TO. I just want a coach who will build on the good things CPJ did, change what he needs to change, and take GT football to the next level. But enlighten me, please: why do those who don’t like the TO automatically, in your mind, want Gailey’s offense? Are there no other offensive possibilities in all of college football?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Because they are Madden heroes?

I don't know.

True story (I may have told this before but I'm getting forgetful): I was having a water cooler conversation with someone about football and he raged about how his team was playing Cover 3 in a bad situation. While he was describing the play I scratched my head and said, "I don't know if that sounds like Cover 3 to me. Are you sure you were in Cover 3?"

"Of course I'm sure. I KNOW WHAT COVER 3 IS, I play Madden. "

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
My friend, you were only 8 when Paul Johnson started so you may not remember this, but Georgia Tech’s offense was way more boring with CALVIN JOHNSON. I’m not saying we can’t do better than the option, but be careful what you wish for.

Correct. But none of Johnson’s offenses compared to the late 90’s and early 00’s with Frirdgen. That was something else.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Yep. With Johnson we had

Correct. But none of Johnson’s offenses compared to the late 90’s and early 00’s with Frirdgen. That was something else.

I don’t disagree, but the 90’s had their share of trash with Bill Lewis as well. My point is, we’ve rarely gone from good coach to good coach and if the best chance of us having back to back Winning coaches is to run an option based attack, that is fine by me.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If you really think Goergia Tech is the 5th best passing team on 3rd and 5 you must not watch football. Also success rate has nothing to do with the play being a pass or not.
You said "third and five"
The Passing S&P metric means "passing downs" not pass play.

That means we were 5th most successful team on 3rd and 5+ and 4th and 5+
Success on third down means gaining 100% of remaining yards.

I realize why you were confused, but my point stands.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
You said "third and long"
The Passing S&P metric means "passing downs" not pass play.

That means we were 5th most successful team on 3rd and 5+ and 4th and 5+
Success on third down means gaining 100% of remaining yards.

I realize why you were confused, but my point stands.
Your point is irrelevant to what I was saying. My point is GT couldn’t pass very well when teams were expecting it. I should’ve used longer than 3rd and 5 as example.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Your point is irrelevant to what I was saying. My point is GT couldn’t pass very well when teams were expecting it. I should’ve used longer than 3rd and 5 as example.
I get it. You are glad we don't run the triple. Sadly, you have yet to make one statement though that can be backed up by stats. In 2014 we had a top 10 conversion rate of 3rd and 10+.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I get it. You are glad we don't run the triple. Sadly, you have yet to make one statement though that can be backed up by stats. In 2014 we had a top 10 conversion rate of 3rd and 10+.
Go ahead and fish up a stat of Paul Johnson’s lifetime 3rd down passing success at GT, make sure to include every play not just the ones where a pass was attempted. Don’t forget the Sacks and QB scrambles.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Go ahead and fish up a stat of Paul Johnson’s lifetime 3rd down passing success at GT, make sure to include every play not just the ones where a pass was attempted. Don’t forget the Sacks and QB scrambles.

You’re like a kid changing the rules of a game you’re losing in. “the offense couldn’t do anything on 3rd and 5”. “Yeah it could. Here’s the stats.” “I meat 3rd and longer”. “Here’s stats to show that too, is incorrect”. “Uh- I meant only when they called a pass play on 3rd and 21 and 3 quarters!”

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry that you made a false claim, and I was able to easily refute it. You are literally crying about something and have no supporting evidence. You are welcome to feelings, but they are just feelings.

At least you have passion, eventually you may be able to support your opinions with facts.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry that you made a false claim, and I was able to easily refute it. You are literally crying about something and have no supporting evidence. You are welcome to feelings, but they are just feelings.

At least you have passion, eventually you may be able to support your opinions with facts.
Once again you misunderstood my OP and wasted time finding meaningless stats that didn’t prove my point ( Not being able to Pass on Passing downs) wrong.