Staff Changes

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
How many DBs are rated ahead of AT that we've offered? How come we aren't making a big deal about them? Like I said, I would LOVE to have AT, but GT fans attentions are overly focused on him because he's Juanyeh's brother.

We did it with countless other recruits that were relatives with players that were on our roster.
That we’ve offered? I don’t know probably a lot. That we have a chance of signing? ZERO. I don’t understand what you aren’t getting. AT is the highest rated player still on our board. He’s one of the highest rated players in the country. It literally has nothing to do with Juanyeh, his family connection is just a way for us to get in the door. Azareyeh is the number 62 player in the country according to Rivals, Gibbs was number 70. Why are you trying so hard to fight it? There’s nothing there

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Over the next few days or weeks, we’ll see how much of this is proactive and how much is reactive.
We could be releasing coaches based on individual performance, or it could be because we’re clearing space for new coaches. If the new DC also coaches DBs, then it’s possible that we planned ahead.
If they coach LBs and we have to shift coaches or release someone else, then we’re reactive

Breaking news here or is this based on quinlan's positing?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That we’ve offered? I don’t know probably a lot. That we have a chance of signing? ZERO. I don’t understand what you aren’t getting. AT is the highest rated player still on our board. He’s one of the highest rated players in the country. It literally has nothing to do with Juanyeh, his family connection is just a way for us to get in the door. Azareyeh is the number 62 player in the country according to Rivals, Gibbs was number 70. Why are you trying so hard to fight it? There’s nothing there

We want good players at EVERY position. I'm not saying our coaches are recruiting AT just because he's Juanyeh's brother, I'm saying our fans are enamored with him because he's JT's brother. If you disagree, fine. This is starting to get silly.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
When Chan Gailey was fired, our offensive FEI was 67. CPJ improved our OFEI to 31 the following year. The higher you are on the rankings, the harder it is to improve. I honestly don't think we're too far away from a top 50 or better offense. The talent is there.
With a new OC I agree. I was saying I don’t think CDP was going to get there.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We want good players at EVERY position. I'm not saying our coaches are recruiting AT just because he's Juanyeh's brother, I'm saying our fans are enamored with him because he's JT's brother. If you disagree, fine. This is starting to get silly.
You’re the one being silly lol. Our fans were enamored with Gibbs’ recruitment because he was the highest rated recruit since Calvin. AT is ranked very similarly to where Gibbs was. Why would they not be enamored with him? It seems like you don’t even have a point with what you’re trying to say

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Now I saw enough overall to believe that with another year of similar development we could have a pretty good offense (again against the middle of our schedule not the top 5 teams) with more diversity in playcalling. I think that will still likely be the case as long as the new OC is running a fairly similar system.
I don’t disagree with anything you are saying. I just don’t think Patenaude does anything so different that another OC won’t be able to seamlessly come in where we left off.

I felt like CDP was going to be a sacrificial lamb all along and am not surprised. Hopefully the next OC can plug and play his way to success.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You’re the one being silly lol. Our fans were enamored with Gibbs’ recruitment because he was the highest rated recruit since Calvin. AT is ranked very similarly to where Gibbs was. Why would they not be enamored with him? It seems like you don’t even have a point with what you’re trying to say

No, YOU don't get the point and you're just arguing to argue. Have fun with that.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So we were going to jump from rankings in the 90s to rankings in the 50s? I doubt it. And the caveat of improved play calling makes it more unlikely. That’s not something that develops over night.

Looking at the whole isn't really useful at this point though. Right now our focus can't be teams like UGA or ND or Clemson if they return to their top form. Eventually sure, but right now those are Ls and have been for a while, predating Collins. You can go back and look at the offensive performances under Johnson his last several years and while some look better, most of the better looking ones are propped up on defensive/ST scores or short fields and late scores. The offense wasn't really a threat to those types of teams. Better than what we have now sure. Better in a meaningful way? Not really.

The important thing at the moment is performance against the middle of the pack teams. That is how we're going to get back to a bowl game. This year we scored 30 or more against 5 of our ACC opponents and 21 against a 6th. One of the two we didn't was against Clemson with a back up QB. Now there were some non offensive factors for sure, and we still need to improve, but IMO there was enough shown against that group to believe keeping continuity with Patanaude might outweigh the benefit of rolling the dice on an OC if we improved the defensive side. If we don't improve the defensive side, I don't think a new OC is really going to make that much of a difference.

IMO offensively, the playcalling was unremarkable but also hindered by inconsistent OL play, inexperienced, relatively, QBs issues going through progressions and reading the defense, and an unremarkable WR group. I think if we could have made a significant step forward, again with focus being on the middle of the pack teams, next year. I think a homerun OC hire could also further that effect for sure, but I also worry that just a marginal upgrade might not be worth the lack of consistency for this next year.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
So here is the $64,000 question - will Geoff's ego let him hire coordinators, position coaches, etc who are more accomplished than he is? The best managers always try to hire employees smarter than they are, but too many managers are threatened by extremely competent employees. Which one is Geoff?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Quinlan’s post helps. I also find it hard to believe that you fire the OC from the #78 offense and then give more responsibility to the DC of the #109 defense

Can't argue with that math.

Funny it seems the only unit that was close to acceptable was special teams. Whens the last time we could say that?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don’t disagree with anything you are saying. I just don’t think Patenaude does anything so different that another OC won’t be able to seamlessly come in where we left off.

I agree. And optically even if we would have had the same improvement with Patenaude as a new OC doing it with a 1st year OC likely builds more hope. I'm not losing sleep over his firing by any stretch.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I now have my doubts that GC was that great a DC. He moved around a lot and had good players to work with and some other good assistants. Hard to hit a moving target as they say. Was he ever any place long enough to actually prove he was that great. He is a top recruiter for sure. Head coaches appreciate that.
Welcome to reality. I’ve been saying that since last season. Collins is good at one thing - marketing. He can market to players and media. But he stinks as any type of actual football coach. He’ll only succeed if he brings in an OC and DC who know how to coach and he doesn’t attend practice.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I felt like CDP was going to be a sacrificial lamb all along and am not surprised. Hopefully the next OC can plug and play his way to success.

One of the things that gave me hope about Patenaude was you could see receivers open, and you just hoped that when the QB had time, he would find them. Of course, one of Patenaude's duties was being the QB coach, and Sims was struggling at time to find the open guy, and when he did find the open guy, the pass was not accurate. That falls on the feet of Patenaude.

When Yates was in, it seemed we couldn't scheme away from Yate's disadvantages (height, arm strength, etc).

At the end of the day, our talent was far better than our offensive production. It just wasn't there, and ultimately, that's Patenaude's responsibility.