Staff Changes

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
The next OC will have some nice pieces to work with. An Elite 11 QB who has all the physical tools (Sims), another Elite 11 QB coming in, 4 star WRs, 4 Star RBs. OL needs to be coached up.

It's actually a really good gig for an up and coming OC to prove himself. The new OC just needs to ask for a multi year contract!
Hopefully, the new OC will be someone that can take over soon. Like O’Leary did under Lewis.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I now have my doubts that GC was that great a DC. He moved around a lot and had good players to work with and some other good assistants. Hard to hit a moving target as they say. Was he ever any place long enough to actually prove he was that great. He is a top recruiter for sure. Head coaches appreciate that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Praying these db coach switch ups will be attractive for Juanyehs lil bro

If he wasn't Juanyeh's little brother, would you have any second thoughts about him outside of being a 4 star? That's not a knock against Azareyah Thomas, I'm just saying AT is probably given more weight by GT fans because he is Juanyeh's brother and not some random DB recruit.

We've never had a problem recruiting DBs, even under CPJ. I'd LOVE to have AT, but the recruitment of one player shouldn't dictate who we hire as a coach.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If he wasn't Juanyeh's little brother, would you have any second thoughts about him outside of being a 4 star? That's not a knock against Azareyah Thomas, I'm just saying AT is probably given more weight by GT fans because he is Juanyeh's brother and not some random DB recruit.

We've never had a problem recruiting DBs, even under CPJ. I'd LOVE to have AT, but the recruitment of one player shouldn't dictate who we hire as a coach.
I don’t think he was saying the new coach should be hired based on AT’s recruitment, just that he hoped he would be an attractive hire for AT.

As far as AT goes, he’s a top 100 player nationally, a top 15 player in Florida, and one of the most highly sought after DBs in the country. He’d be the highest rated recruit since Gibbs, and one of the highest ever to choose GT. And we all know how much of a difference makes Gibbs has been on the offensive side of the ball. People make a big deal out of him being Juanyeh’s brother because there’s almost no chance Tech would even be in the hunt without the family connection. We don’t want him because he’s a legacy, we want him because he’s damn good.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We run the most vanilla version of the NCAA standard spread offense. You could pick an OC out of a hat and find a coach that can do as poorly as we have done this year.

We also ran a very vanilla version of Paul Johnson's offense his first couple of years as well. I'd argue it wasn't really until Tevin took over in 2011 that we saw a real fleshed out version of Johnson's offense.

I doubt the offense we ran this year is really what Patanaude wanted to run entirely and more what he felt could be done best. The OL has gone from downright terrible in year 1 to inconsistent this year, Sims has improved but after last year the focus was likely on limiting the complexity to try and limit his mistakes, and the WR group has largely be unremarkable in terms of route running or getting separation. Now I saw enough overall to believe that with another year of similar development we could have a pretty good offense (again against the middle of our schedule not the top 5 teams) with more diversity in playcalling. I think that will still likely be the case as long as the new OC is running a fairly similar system.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Echoing what’s being said, hate it for these coaches and their families. Staff seems to be full of good folks that work hard. That being said, I hope CGC goes out and gets at least a couple guys that will absolutely chew your tail out. Our best coaches over the last 25 years have not shied away from that. O’Leary, Friedgen, Tenuta, Johnson…

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think he was saying the new coach should be hired based on AT’s recruitment, just that he hoped he would be an attractive hire for AT.

As far as AT goes, he’s a top 100 player nationally, a top 15 player in Florida, and one of the most highly sought after DBs in the country. He’d be the highest rated recruit since Gibbs, and one of the highest ever to choose GT. And we all know how much of a difference makes Gibbs has been on the offensive side of the ball. People make a big deal out of him being Juanyeh’s brother because there’s almost no chance Tech would even be in the hunt without the family connection. We don’t want him because he’s a legacy, we want him because he’s damn good.

How many DBs are rated ahead of AT that we've offered? How come we aren't making a big deal about them? Like I said, I would LOVE to have AT, but GT fans attentions are overly focused on him because he's Juanyeh's brother.

We did it with countless other recruits that were relatives with players that were on our roster.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We also ran a very vanilla version of Paul Johnson's offense his first couple of years as well. I'd argue it wasn't really until Tevin took over in 2011 that we saw a real fleshed out version of Johnson's offense.

I doubt the offense we ran this year is really what Patanaude wanted to run entirely and more what he felt could be done best. The OL has gone from downright terrible in year 1 to inconsistent this year, Sims has improved but after last year the focus was likely on limiting the complexity to try and limit his mistakes, and the WR group has largely be unremarkable in terms of route running or getting separation. Now I saw enough overall to believe that with another year of similar development we could have a pretty good offense (again against the middle of our schedule not the top 5 teams) with more diversity in playcalling. I think that will still likely be the case as long as the new OC is running a fairly similar system.
So we were going to jump from rankings in the 90s to rankings in the 50s? I doubt it. And the caveat of improved play calling makes it more unlikely. That’s not something that develops over night.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I now have my doubts that GC was that great a DC. He moved around a lot and had good players to work with and some other good assistants. Hard to hit a moving target as they say. Was he ever any place long enough to actually prove he was that great. He is a top recruiter for sure. Head coaches appreciate that.
He coached other coaches players not his

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Here comes the sacrificial lambs. Feel bad for them and their families, as most of the problem lies at the feet of Collins.
Sacrificial lambs? I bear no ill will towards either man but if you fail in your job as completely as they did then when you lose that job you’re not a sacrificial lamb. You earned that dismissal. If the DBs had been really good but the defense still wasn’t good then that would qualify them for sacrificial lamb status.

I understand people feel like those guys are taking the bullet that Collins deserves. But no. They are quite definitely taking the bullet they deserve. Maybe someone else ALSO deserves it but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be let go n

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So we were going to jump from rankings in the 90s to rankings in the 50s? I doubt it. And the caveat of improved play calling makes it more unlikely. That’s not something that develops over night.

When Chan Gailey was fired, our offensive FEI was 67. CPJ improved our OFEI to 31 the following year. The higher you are on the rankings, the harder it is to improve. I honestly don't think we're too far away from a top 50 or better offense. The talent is there.

slugboy

Staff member
Over the next few days or weeks, we’ll see how much of this is proactive and how much is reactive.
We could be releasing coaches based on individual performance, or it could be because we’re clearing space for new coaches. If the new DC also coaches DBs, then it’s possible that we planned ahead.
If they coach LBs and we have to shift coaches or release someone else, then we’re reactive