Spring Practice

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
From reading between the lines , it appears Brown - who cgc smiling called - little very fast guy- will be a key guy in the rotation. Hear he KNOWS HOW TO FIND AND MAXIMIZE HIS TIME IN THE OPEN SPOT. Maybe he will need double coverage out of slot. If so that will make it easier for qb to make reads.

Will be fun to watch him in spring.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Sounds like Yates has a great shot at winning the job if he comes in and shows out
I think we as fans should really tamper our expectations of our QBs' ability to perform even adequately in the passing game. None of these guys were recruited for their passing abillity, if they were, they would not have come to Tech. Can the eventually be successful? Sure I think so, but I expect our QB play to be average at best this year. As far as Yates winning the job as a freshman, I guess its possible, but I remember a good axiom from a former Tech coach, "the further away from the ball you are, the quicker it is to see the field (playing time)".

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think we as fans should really tamper our expectations of our QBs' ability to perform even adequately in the passing game. None of these guys were recruited for their passing abillity, if they were, they would not have come to Tech. Can the eventually be successful? Sure I think so, but I expect our QB play to be average at best this year. As far as Yates winning the job as a freshman, I guess its possible, but I remember a good axiom from a former Tech coach, "the further away from the ball you are, the quicker it is to see the field (playing time)".
False. ALL OF THESE GUYS WERE BROUGHT IN TO BE QUARTERBACKS. Read that again, all of them. Every single one. We did not recruit RBs to come play QB. We obviously passed less than most D1 programs in the previous regime, but c'mon man, that is straight wrong and demeaning to say about our squad. They can all throw the ball. They will need time to learn the route trees our guys are installing, and to figure out the different looks Defenses will throw at us, but the deal is we have been VERY active in the transfer game and if coach didn't think he had some gunslingers we would have seen us take a QB or two with that TE fella.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
False. ALL OF THESE GUYS WERE BROUGHT IN TO BE QUARTERBACKS. Read that again, all of them. Every single one. We did not recruit RBs to come play QB. We obviously passed less than most D1 programs in the previous regime, but c'mon man, that is straight wrong and demeaning to say about our squad. They can all throw the ball. They will need time to learn the route trees our guys are installing, and to figure out the different looks Defenses will throw at us, but the deal is we have been VERY active in the transfer game and if coach didn't think he had some gunslingers we would have seen us take a QB or two with that TE fella.
I probably should have been clearer. I wasn't meaning to demean any of the QB's. Obviously they are all great athletically, which is why they were recruited for an offense that relies on an athletic QB. Would I meant was passing is not their primary strength. That doesn't mean they can't develop, just we as fans should give that time.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I probably should have been clearer. I wasn't meaning to demean any of the QB's. Obviously they are all great athletically, which is why they were recruited for an offense that relies on an athletic QB. Would I meant was passing is not their primary strength. That doesn't mean they can't develop, just we as fans should give that time.
Yeah, my bad, I just got out of a meeting at work and was all jacked up on mountain dew ;)

Seriously though, you're right, we have to give them time to develop, but I do think people undervalue the abilities of the guys.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer

Wrecked I agree with you completely. Very talented athletes but some people need to open up their eyes. Our QBs were brought in to run the option. Not an air raid offense. Hopefully I’m proven wrong about their passing ability.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Current coaches have said all can throw the ball adequately. I don’t expect any to throw like Payton Manning or surfer dude at Clem. Bit adequately yea.