Spring Practice

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
this entire forum is cross-threaded. Maybe tomorrow we get some news from spring practice.
The main reason for that is the lack of info coming out so there's nothing new to talk about. For all the talk about open practices to the media and such, we're getting less info on player development than last year. But I guess we can dissect the GoT graphic, oohboy?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The main reason for that is the lack of info coming out so there's nothing new to talk about. For all the talk about open practices to the media and such, we're getting less info on player development than last year. But I guess we can dissect the GoT graphic, oohboy?

Ken has had some good articles here and there, but it seems like the best day-to-day stuff is coming from the paysites: Tori at the Athletic and KQ at Rivals. I don't think it's an issue of media access. I just think those outlets have stepped up their coverage and the AJC is lacking.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

You’ve really got that passive aggressive thing going, huh? There’s honestly a ton of info coming out, we’re getting regular player and assistant coach press conferences, just listen to those and make your own judgements about who’s doing what. The reason we’re not getting a lot of specifics on individual players right now is because the coaches are still figuring out what all everyone can do (ie Jahaziel trying out DL, BJS trying RB, etc). Spring game should give us a good idea where we’re at, until then we just have to be patient.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You’ve really got that passive aggressive thing going, huh? There’s honestly a ton of info coming out, we’re getting regular player and assistant coach press conferences, just listen to those and make your own judgements about who’s doing what. The reason we’re not getting a lot of specifics on individual players right now is because the coaches are still figuring out what all everyone can do (ie Jahaziel trying out DL, BJS trying RB, etc). Spring game should give us a good idea where we’re at, until then we just have to be patient.
It's all a bunch of talk with no real info coming out. There's nothing less informative than a player interview. I've listened to all of them. The coaches all have the coach speak down pat with nothing but buzz words and catch phrases. "Above the line... blah, blah, blah." "Controlled Chaos... blah, blah, blah..." No details, no specifics. That is why conversation has degenerated around here. That and the constant disparaging commentary on the former staff. (There's even a whole thread dedicated to it: https://gtswarm.com/threads/was-our-defense-hamstrung-in-the-past.18006/ )

Now I understand why no real info is coming out, that's fine, I get it. But to pretend there some substance beyond the rhetoric is silly talk. And the pay guys spouting off their "educated" opinions behind pay walls, yeah, that's the ticket!

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
It's all a bunch of talk with no real info coming out. There's nothing less informative than a player interview. I've listened to all of them. The coaches all have the coach speak down pat with nothing but buzz words and catch phrases. "Above the line... blah, blah, blah." "Controlled Chaos... blah, blah, blah..." No details, no specifics. That is why conversation has degenerated around here. That and the constant disparaging commentary on the former staff.

Now I understand why no real info is coming out, that's fine, I get it. But to pretend there some substance beyond the rhetoric is silly talk. And the pay guys spouting off their "educated" opinions behind pay walls, yeah, that's the ticket!
Pretty sure this would get you a “BIG CRY!” on the site I used to hang out on.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It's all a bunch of talk with no real info coming out. There's nothing less informative than a player interview. I've listened to all of them. The coaches all have the coach speak down pat with nothing but buzz words and catch phrases. "Above the line... blah, blah, blah." "Controlled Chaos... blah, blah, blah..." No details, no specifics. That is why conversation has degenerated around here. That and the constant disparaging commentary on the former staff. (There's even a whole thread dedicated to it: https://gtswarm.com/threads/was-our-defense-hamstrung-in-the-past.18006/ )

In fairness, our prior coaches were also less than forthcoming in their information in spring and fall camps. Eventually, we learned that it was when CPJ was only moderately grumpy about a practice that it went well.If he ever actuall praised something the world needed to take note.

CGC so far seems to be walking the tightrope of generating constant buzz/hype to build his brand and yet keeping some of his cards close to the vest very well. We'll have some idea after the Spring game but it will be this summer/fall before we really see the puzzle pieces fall into place.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure this would get you a “BIG CRY!” on the site I used to hang out on.

We are juiced to the max over there. (you don't know how many times I have looked for that particular button over here. lol. sorry mods. But we do have an eye-roll emoji here that some use liberally.)

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
In fairness, our prior coaches were also less than forthcoming in their information in spring and fall camps. Eventually, we learned that it was when CPJ was only moderately grumpy about a practice that it went well.If he ever actuall praised something the world needed to take note.

CGC so far seems to be walking the tightrope of generating constant buzz/hype to build his brand and yet keeping some of his cards close to the vest very well. We'll have some idea after the Spring game but it will be this summer/fall before we really see the puzzle pieces fall into place.

I think this is a fair take. I am really not sure what some are expecting to hear at this point and I don't see a big difference between this and previous years. *shrug*

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
GoT graphic has a thread.
Hamstrung defense in past has a thread.
Yet these topics find their way into Spring Practice.
Cross threaded forum.

I disagree that we are getting LESS information though. We may not be getting as much as we hoped for, but we are getting information. Good interviews from position coaches. Specific players called out for effort and results on both sides of the ball. Specific players taking reps at other positions. Jarrett and Malloy standing out. Kaleb emerging as a favorite at nickel. Quez standing out at LB. Juanyeh emerging as a leader. LJ and Tobias getting most of the reps with the 1's.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
GoT graphic has a thread.
Hamstrung defense in past has a thread.
Yet these topics find their way into Spring Practice.
Cross threaded forum.

I disagree that we are getting LESS information though. We may not be getting as much as we hoped for, but we are getting information. Good interviews from position coaches. Specific players called out for effort and results on both sides of the ball. Specific players taking reps at other positions. Jarrett and Malloy standing out. Kaleb emerging as a favorite at nickel. Quez standing out at LB. Juanyeh emerging as a leader. LJ and Tobias getting most of the reps with the 1's.
There are no 1’s, only above the liners.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
We talking 'bout practice, folks... lots of info here.

“It’s exciting. I think we’ve got a lot of really good players. It’s just figuring out the best things that they do at certain positions,” said Collins. “If this young man’s in the game, we’re going to do these kind of plays, if this guy’s in the game, we’re going to do these kind of plays. Same thing defensively. Our defensive tackles have some different abilities. So when this D-tackle’s in, we’re going to run these kind of stunts, these kind of blitzes. When these D-tackles are in, we’ll run more base.

“Everything in our program is based on these players and what these players do well and how they can excel,” he added. “So there’s a different body type or different style of player at the position at that given time, the play-caller knows who’s in the game and adjusts the play-calls and the scheme to our players. The players are the thing that matters most in this.”
“I really like how they’re competing,” said Collins. “They’re playing fast. There’s a lot of times when we look like we’re a really good spread-style offense. I’ve been really pleased.

“I think we ran six calls all day [on defense] and offensively we had three runs, we had about five passing concepts, a lot of different formations,” Collins said. “We just wanted to see who could play fast, play with that effort, compete, and I thought they came out here and did that.”

Last edited: