Spring Practice

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Talent doesn't always win out. UGA QB situation is proof of that. Both Jacob Eason and Justin Fields are MUCH more physically talented than Fromm...but Fromm managed to hang on to the job after Eason was hurt, and Fields could never earn real playing time. Fromm caused both QBs, who were both #1 QB recruits in their respective classes, to transfer out.

We saw it ourselves with Vad Lee and Tevin Washington.

I still think Tobias's best position is WR, but if no one can beat him out at QB good for him. There's talent at QB, which means Tobias will be a good QB for us if he manages to stay at QB1.
I get that, and that’s why I said if he’s smart with reading the defense ect. A lot goes into QB and sometimes the more talented player loses out based on “smarts”

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Tori M. wrote a good article about the "Above The Line" (ATL) philosophy for the team and how Collins won't necessarily use depth charts. I was skeptical at first, but the more I've thought about it, the more I like the idea of simply playing as many capable players as you can. In theory, it keeps players fresh (limits injuries), fights complacency in starters, promotes effort on every snap, encourages teamwork and bonding, and develops depth. It should also limit transfers to a degree. We've had loads of players leave in the past because they got beat out, despite being capable players who could have contributed. The new system ensures that if you can at least prove to the coach that you're good enough, you'll get at least some playing time each game. Seemed to work for Temple, so I'm curious to see how it works here.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am interested to see how it works in practice. Thacker said something to the extent of the 1s play 65% of snaps and the rest of the above the line guys play 35%, so we will see what the deal looks like in practice come the fall. Either way I do think it feeds in well (obviously intentionally) to the competition is king theme from camp. Hope it pays dividends in the next few years.

Tori M. wrote a good article about the "Above The Line" (ATL) philosophy for the team and how Collins won't necessarily use depth charts. I was skeptical at first, but the more I've thought about it, the more I like the idea of simply playing as many capable players as you can. In theory, it keeps players fresh (limits injuries), fights complacency in starters, promotes effort on every snap, encourages teamwork and bonding, and develops depth. It should also limit transfers to a degree. We've had loads of players leave in the past because they got beat out, despite being capable players who could have contributed. The new system ensures that if you can at least prove to the coach that you're good enough, you'll get at least some playing time each game. Seemed to work for Temple, so I'm curious to see how it works here.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Nothing against him, but Grham is the most talented of the group. If he has the brains for the game with reading the defenses ect, he will be the starter (grades staying good as well)
Playing qb is so much more than being an athlete. Tevin was one of the best option qb's in the option era but was not even close to being the best athlete.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Every team has guys who are sometimes unsure of their assignment or where to lineup a play call. It's the QB's job to make sure everyone is lined up correctly at a minimum. And he needs to know the RB and WR routes on every pass play. In my mind it takes a pretty smart kid to play QB, and that's on top of being a decent athlete.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Well, this is cool; I received this email a little while ago. I have to come in Saturday anyway, so now I have a reason to get in a bit early:

Georgia Tech Faculty & Staff,

Coach Geoff Collins is inviting you to attend Spring football practice on Saturday, April 6 in Bobby Dodd Stadium. Come check out the team first hand with this exclusive invite to attend practice.
:):):)

Animal02

Banned
3E1118F9-C3F7-4E46-9E57-4C31D25EF181.jpeg
This is spring related

bos

Helluva Engineer
I'm curious to know which player(s) put in the most work in the weight room this off-season. Anyone looking jacked from previous year?