Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Short of being caught making out in the closet with Val (Bud's wife) he won't be fired after this season even if it is a stinker.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Pretty interesting last 2 minutes when he talked about us having 20 people on staff and Clemson having 40. There's now a rule proposal to limit it to 25. Would be nice to be on equal footing with everyone else.

He is counting the head coach, assistant coaches, operations and recruiting analysts. Clemson has ~40 and is hiring more such as the recent high school coach to gain a recruiting advantage.

I would be very curious how many people are on staff at other programs: uGA, Bama, FSU, ND, etc.

/

Last edited:
Two words Mike Sewak. Tech has one year where the OL was close to dominate and that resulted in a Orange Bowl victory. How much longer is Paul going to have say I'm sick of the OL, before he makes a move. He didn't make the move that 95% of Tech fans wanted last year. The definition of insanity repeat the same process but expect different results.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IMHO the notion that CPJ is motivated by a fear of losing his job is way off base. He is a competitor, bottom line. That is his motivation. If he is unhappy with something, he is going to say he is unhappy. That has always been his approach to the media and it hasn't changed, whether in a good year or bad. He may be a little more forthright about the bad while underemphasizing the good. That is just him. I have gotten used to it. If we were at practice and saw a guy making some of the plays on a good day, we would jump up and down proclaiming the guy to be a stud, while CPJ would say something like "he did some good things, he has a chance to be a decent player, the more he plays the better he will get", stuff like that.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It was somewhat disturbing to listen to PJ be so openly critical of the OL play during the scrimmage. I wonder if he could ever be a zero handicap golfer. Sometimes there is a limit on physical ability. He should keep some of the criticism inside the team locker room and step it up on recruiting linemen. You have to ask yourself as a player if you would want to listen to that sort of public criticism by your head coach. People know when they aren't performing as well as they should. Maybe he needs to improve HIS OWN RECRUITING. I am getting sick of his lousy recruiting. Ref's let the OL get away with all sorts of holding these days and we should be using the same "blocking" techniques that passing offenses use. We get called for chop blocks rather than holding in this offense.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
It was somewhat disturbing to listen to PJ be so openly critical of the OL play during the scrimmage. I wonder if he could ever be a zero handicap golfer. Sometimes there is a limit on physical ability. He should keep some of the criticism inside the team locker room and step it up on recruiting linemen. You have to ask yourself as a player if you would want to listen to that sort of public criticism by your head coach. People know when they aren't performing as well as they should. Maybe he needs to improve HIS OWN RECRUITING. I am getting sick of his lousy recruiting. Ref's let the OL get away with all sorts of holding these days and we should be using the same "blocking" techniques that passing offenses use. We get called for chop blocks rather than holding in this offense.
First of all I think the issue he has is with the oline knowing who to block, they afore mentioned 50 missed assignments. Your the one projecting what he is talking about their physical abilities so you can attack his recruiting. Second of all the only way you improve is if you do not accept mediocrity. Third of all, and most importantly, he is answering the questions honestly and he is not signaling any player out or limiting it to only players. I don't see what the issue is.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I think he's pretty close to a scratch golfer, fwiw.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As long as CPJ doesn't single any SA out, I don't have a problem with him criticizing a unit's play. Our guys are smart, they know if they're not doing the job up to their coaches' standards. Our offense doesn't work if the OL isn't doing their job, and CPJ has high standards...it's doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that those guys are on the hot seat. I think CPJ is just reiterating that they better get their butts in gear.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Watching these other teams with their Spring games makes me so ready for ours!
I hope we can have a great turnout like these teams are having. USCe had a great turnout for their game to welcome the freshman spring session of their new coach.
Im looking forward to seeing some of the SAs make names for themselves and impress us with their play making abilities.

Who are do you guys thinking (or are hoping) will be the biggest surprise for spring as far as production.??

The game will be on a Saturday and hopefully the weather will cooperate. I know a lot of us have not enjoyed the conditions of the last 2 spring games and believe we are due and have earned some much better weather!!

Lets make this a spring game to remember and show up in support of our team!!

Go Jackets!!

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Watching these other teams with their Spring games makes me so ready for ours!
I hope we can have a great turnout like these teams are having. USCe had a great turnout for their game to welcome the freshman spring session of their new coach.
Im looking forward to seeing some of the SAs make names for themselves and impress us with their play making abilities.

Who are do you guys thinking (or are hoping) will be the biggest surprise for spring as far as production.??

The game will be on a Saturday and hopefully the weather will cooperate. I know a lot of us have not enjoyed the conditions of the last 2 spring games and believe we are due and have earned some much better weather!!

Lets make this a spring game to remember and show up in support of our team!!

Go Jackets!!

I'm excited to see Taquon play QB and how all the ABs and BBs play.