Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I didn't mean to suggest I thought Paul's job was on the line. By backed into a corner, I mainly meant he hates losing. I think he is going to do everything in his power to have a better season that last year. I think Shaq was a great player, but I think he was a better leader. Our OL will be good again when the players hold each other to a very high standard. Coaching can really only go so far. Digging deep because you do not want to let the guy to your left/right down goes much further than coaching IMO.

I think CPJ and the O line coaches will teach the O line where to go, and get them in plays they can execute. That is what spring is for.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Lynn is an athlete but I think dude is a big hitting safety!

You know him better than I do. I'm just gonna speculate some. DBs need to be good going backward, forward, side to side, etc. if LG's strength is going downhill Aback might be the best fit for him. I agree he's a heck of an athlete though. Not many players can make the transition he did and do so effectively that quick. Which also makes me wonder if Aback is a more natural fit for him.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm not ready to indict the Oline or panic....yet. CPJ cited too large a number of blown assignments on both sides of the ball. Sounds like an all around sloppy practice with only TM getting much praise. Not too shocking considering its still pretty early in the Spring. Now if we conclude spring and the narrative doesn't change, I'll be worried then. If the narrative is still the same in the fall....batten down the hatches because we might repeat last year. I expect the narrative will improve however.

(Hell, best case scenario is for T Roof and the D to hand the O and CPJs asses to them in the spring. That might actually be just what the doctor ordered for an improved season. So long as the O improves while it's happening.)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, we've got to be real about our OL. By my count, we only have 10 scholarship OL with 2 more coming this summer. Those 10 include Freddie who's out for surgery, Chris who's never been back to himself after surgery, Shamire who's got weight issues, and I think Whitley, who hasn't played much, has been hurt too. That leaves A. Marshall switching from C to G, Bryan Tr So and Klock as RS So who have played, Brad Morgan as RS Fr, and Fromayan and Stickler who have apparently not developed as well as one would hope for their time here. Besides these, we have several walk-ons.

We have a walk-on playing center with the ones, and then we have like 6 guys for the other 4 spots to flesh-out the ones. Then the 2's are going to be mostly walk-ons. Now, obviously I don't know exactly how the practice was conducted, but if he ran more than one line, we shouldn't be too surprised that our walk-ons had a lot of busted plays.

I suspect that we're going to be looking at Parker to be playing already this Fall. I wouldn't be surprised if Klock moves inside to OG. He played some snaps there last Fall, iirc.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, we've got to be real about our OL. By my count, we only have 10 scholarship OL with 2 more coming this summer. Those 10 include Freddie who's out for surgery, Chris who's never been back to himself after surgery, Shamire who's got weight issues, and I think Whitley, who hasn't played much, has been hurt too. That leaves A. Marshall switching from C to G, Bryan Tr So and Klock as RS So who have played, Brad Morgan as RS Fr, and Fromayan and Stickler who have apparently not developed as well as one would hope for their time here. Besides these, we have several walk-ons.

We have a walk-on playing center with the ones, and then we have like 6 guys for the other 4 spots to flesh-out the ones. Then the 2's are going to be mostly walk-ons. Now, obviously I don't know exactly how the practice was conducted, but if he ran more than one line, we shouldn't be too surprised that our walk-ons had a lot of busted plays.

I suspect that we're going to be looking at Parker to be playing already this Fall. I wouldn't be surprised if Klock moves inside to OG. He played some snaps there last Fall, iirc.
Why would Klock move inside?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Correct. We currently have 10 scholarship OL. However, we have 3 coming in. Jahaziel Lee is slotted for OT, IIRC.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer

Makes missing on DC that much bigger.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Why would Klock move inside?

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up that neither Chris nor Shamire are able to play every down/most downs. Again, iirc, he played some right guard during our last few drives vs ND last year. I'm not saying it will happen but that I won't be surprised if it did.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If Shamire doesn't want to play then he Should leave the team.
Griffin got to get right..
They the key.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not worried about the OL IF we have a wide out or two step up and be able to press the defense deep. To me that is much more of a concern. I'm optimistic that it will happen and if it does we'll be fine running the ball.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Look, the main thing to remember here is that the O is hard to learn. Allow me to repeat that: the O is hard to learn. It's hard on the QBs who regularly misread plays after running the thing for years. It's hard on the ABs and BBs who regularly block the wrong people and misread their lanes. And, God knows, it's hard on the OLs. In fact, it's harder on the OLs then anyone else. Their lot has been described here before and it takes awhile to get to where you are on it even 70% of the time. When Coach chews on them he's on good ground; it's hard to be right and way easy to be wrong.

In 2014 we had a lot of really good skill players at AB and BB: fast (sorry, fast), strong, experienced, and suited for their positions. We ran the ball up the middle well and we got to the corner regularly. And the OL missed blocks and it didn't matter much. Last year, we didn't have these kinds of people going into the season and we lost most of our speed after 4 weeks. Result = when the OL missed blocks it hurt.

I think Coach and everyone else on the team knows this. I also think that he, like every football coach extant, wants to see everyone on the same page and getting their assignments right. I also think he knows that they won't and he's determined to cut down on the screwups. That's what spring ball is for.

all of what you say is probably true
BUT so is the fact that PJ PICKED THIS OFFENSE and last yr he had FOUR starting Olinemen.If he can't get it straight with that line,how is experience a factor? And what does it take to get it right?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
As a former OL, it's not rocket science. You are asked to block one guy every play. Not three, not four, just one. It's all about want to!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
You know him better than I do. I'm just gonna speculate some. DBs need to be good going backward, forward, side to side, etc. if LG's strength is going downhill Aback might be the best fit for him. I agree he's a heck of an athlete though. Not many players can make the transition he did and do so effectively that quick. Which also makes me wonder if Aback is a more natural fit for him.

He may be ok at Aback but we've got AT LEAST six other guys that can play Aback ok, I think.To me ,he would be more useful as DB as a Sr. Maybe he's not a natural DB but then it is a bit scary that he is better coming in as a SR at Aback than all of that bevy of supposed super talent at Aback. wow

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Very concerned with the OLine. They already lite in the britches and if they not showing proper technique it's gonna be a long season.

Both lines have been a problem, this is not good.