Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You have no right to demand that.
No one's demanding anything.

However, by the product on the field (and the comments from the CPJ), the OL has not really been getting it done for a while. There's been one constant with the OL, and that's Sewek. I'm not a coach, I don't see practices, I'm not an OL guy, so I leave it for others to weigh in with judgement. However, if a goup is continuously not performing the way they should be performing or learning their duties, I think after a whole bunch of years, that tends to say something about the instructor.

I'm not casting aspersions because I truly don't know, but ANYONE, especially fans, has the right to demand better performance, and lacking that, a change.

Milwaukee

Banned
I dont understand all of the "fire the position coaches" chatter. Why does CPJ get a pass for last year's pile but not the other coaches?

I'll hang up and listen.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I dont understand all of the "fire the position coaches" chatter. Why does CPJ get a pass for last year's pile but not the other coaches?

I'll hang up and listen.
Yep, CPJ should coach the OL, AB, BB, WR, QB, DL, LB, SS, and CB position because he definitely has that kind of time....... Cpj does more than most head coaches because he also has to worry about being a good play caller and putting together a good game plan as a offensive coordinator.

No coach has a great team strictly based off of their ability to coach. What people don't understand imo is that the assistant coaches are just as instrumental in the success of a team as the head coach. Thats why it's so important for a head coach to get a good staff. I'm not saying he's the perfect coach but if we are going to blame him for bad play at a position a lot of that goes to who he's hired, which of course is his fault if he hasn't hired someone who can get the job done without him having to hold their hand.

Milwaukee

Banned
Yep, CPJ should coach the OL, AB, BB, WR, QB, DL, LB, SS, and CB position because he definitely has that kind of time....... Cpj does more than most head coaches because he also has to worry about being a good play caller and putting together a good game plan as a offensive coordinator.

No coach has a great team strictly based off of their ability to coach. What people don't understand imo is that the assistant coaches are just as instrumental in the success of a team as the head coach. Thats why it's so important for a head coach to get a good staff. I'm not saying he's the perfect coach but if we are going to blame him for bad play at a position a lot of that goes to who he's hired, which of course is his fault if he hasn't hired someone who can get the job done without him having to hold their hand.

What in the world are you talking about? Maybe you misread my question.

Milwaukee

Banned
I'll rephrase: why is Sewak needing to be replaced but not CPJ? Didn't we absolutely dominate on the OL in 14?

Disclaimer (so you dont jump to more conclusions): I don't think CPJ or Sewak should be let go. I'm just asking what is the reasoning for wanting to get rid of Sewak based on last year's pile, but not CPJ based on last year's pile.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not criticizing Sewek, nor am I criticizing Johnson. I assume (and rightly so) that CPJ has a much better feel for whether Sewek is doing his job or not. I (as we should) leave it to him to determine whether there needs to be a staff change. I think we saw a staff change this year because of the OL play last year. Why Sewek is still there. . .because CPJ does not think Sewek is the problem, and that he's doing to job asked of him. Those of us on the outside looking in may disagree with that, or not.

We have every right to gripe, complain, demand, yell, scream, rant, hollar, or whatever else we, as fans, want to do. I will not criticize CPJ for retaining Sewek for 7 years in the face of progressively declining OL performance because I don't know everything he does. He's shown enough times that he's willing to make changes when changes are needed, so I leave it to him.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'll rephrase: why is Sewak needing to be replaced but not CPJ? Didn't we absolutely dominate on the OL in 14?

Disclaimer (so you dont jump to more conclusions): I don't think CPJ or Sewak should be let go. I'm just asking what is the reasoning for wanting to get rid of Sewak based on last year's pile, but not CPJ based on last year's pile.
According to CPJ, we did NOT dominate on the OL in 2014. We won in spite of our woeful OL play (his words, not mine).

Milwaukee

Banned
I'm not criticizing Sewek, nor am I criticizing Johnson. I assume (and rightly so) that CPJ has a much better feel for whether Sewek is doing his job or not. I (as we should) leave it to him to determine whether there needs to be a staff change. I think we saw a staff change this year because of the OL play last year. Why Sewek is still there. . .because CPJ does not think Sewek is the problem, and that he's doing to job asked of him. Those of us on the outside looking in may disagree with that, or not.

We have every right to gripe, complain, demand, yell, scream, rant, hollar, or whatever else we, as fans, want to do. I will not criticize CPJ for retaining Sewek for 7 years in the face of progressively declining OL performance because I don't know everything he does. He's shown enough times that he's willing to make changes when changes are needed, so I leave it to him.

That's pretty much how I feel about the situation as well.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

I know what your question was, my point Is that sewak would be on the hot seat because he has one priority and that's to coach the OL, imo more blame on the OL Should be on sewak than cpj because cpj has a lot more responsibilities. The OL is a major reason why we went 3-9 and yes I understand blame should also be put on cpj I just think more on sewak than him, if we blame cpj I would blame him for his staff hires. also cpj has proven himself, honestly sewak hasnt, our o line hasn't been good for a while and not even in 2014. Cpj himself said the o line in 2014 wasn't that good and I think a lot of people thought he wasn't being serious but it showed in 2015 that he was being honest, outside of Mason. I'm not trying to argue I was just stating my opinion.

Last edited: