Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
What is maintenance calories for 386? Like 4000 a day?

HOLY LMFAO. I went into an online calculator to check, and when I hit enter, it said "please enter a valid weight". Apparently the machine doesn't believe that 386 is a real weight.
You are talking about breakfast!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Football is a TOUGH sport if you don't love it. Never made it past the HS level, but I can still remember the days of running sprints in the hot GA sun, getting yelled at by coaches, knocking heads with guys 30 lbs heavier and 2 years older than me, and feeling like I wanted to be anywhere else.
I remember those days. No water, 9th grader getting drilled every day, dirty smelly equipment, salt tablets, and wanted to quit ever day. It payed off when I finally became a starter. Ahhhh, the good old days. Got to love it!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I still think Shamire starts. Sure, he's big, but that isn't a problem necessarily. He's done well on the field for us and has plenty of experience.

I have two concerns about him and they haven't changed since he got to Tech. The first is stamina. He has had problems with that in the past, but that hasn't stopped the coaches from starting him; they have always been ready with a substitute. The second is more important: getting down field for blocks when he's on the weak side. This has been his big failing as a player. I think it is partly because he is so big; it's hard to "brush" someone and get by them for a downfield block when your size limits your space. I don't think it's his speed or ability to get a downfield block; he absolutely rules on plays where he pulls to block and on toss sweeps.

Well, the rest is up to Coach and Shamire. We'll get a solution directly.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Brad Stewart is 197, and 6'1". Let's not start another BS thread! Only had one day of spring practice so far- we will have plenty to talk, debate a BS (BS is BullSheet) about in the coming weeks!
Who turned it into a BS thread? J/w. All I did was give an opinion based on what I've seen, after everyone commented on Philpott being big, and Freeman getting bigger. The people that hijack these threads are the BS haters.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Really disappointed with Shamire.. Did he do anything besides eat during the break??? just poor

Since GT plays mostly the nickle I'm expecting bigger safeties and something of a rover position being created.
David Curry& Jalen Johnson comes to mind.

The Dline is still really light in the britches and has the size to get moved around up front just not by the Oline, who are equally small. (Outside of Devine)
The lack of size on both lines will come back to haunt GT.

it ALREADY is and has been

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
you lose alot offseason weight by 10-15 pounds since you shed weight lifting weight during the actual season

if freeman is 250, by game 6 he will be 240 if that weight is offseason weight. There is no way of truly knowing as a fan...but its REALLY common. Some lineman drop 20 pounds. Could a guy like freeman stay at 250, its possible...but typically he will land in 235/240 range during the year....its one reason offseason weight is a farce

MidtownJacket

Staff member
you lose alot offseason weight by 10-15 pounds since you shed weight lifting weight during the actual season

if freeman is 250, by game 6 he will be 240 if that weight is offseason weight. There is no way of truly knowing as a fan...but its REALLY common. Some lineman drop 20 pounds. Could a guy like freeman stay at 250, its possible...but typically he will land in 235/240 range during the year....its one reason offseason weight is a farce
So maybe Shamire is just prepping for the season and his massive weight loss :facepalm:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Philpott hurt the first day (bad luck) and will be at least a week. MLD slid over to WR.

Wonder if that's just for spring practice numbers. There's indication that he's going to be redshirted this year along with Taquan Marshall. We've got 3 WRs coming in this summer, but we need the numbers for spring.

He did play WR in HS.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not apropos of anything in particular but it is interesting to me how philosophies about practice have evolved over the decades. Vince Dooley was a proponent of making every practice as much like a game as possible, including tackling to the ground. Players sometimes were lost to an injury as a result but Dooley thought this made them tougher for game situations. If you survived his practice, he thought you would likely survive the game.

When in was in youth league football I cannot remember a single practice that was not a full pad scrimmage and practice was not much different from playing a real game.

Dodd was a proponent of easing into practice, as CPJ stated in the interview. He liked to keep legs fresh and keep guys limber. He especially followed this in practicing for bowl games. He did not want players dinged up from practice.

All of this came up related to a reporter's question about poor tackling form. CPJ's answer, which I am sure everyone heard, pinned it to training and players being harder to tackle today.

Now I am rambling but one other thought comes to mind. A couple of years ago (I forget the details of this) some coach had the best special teams in the country and was asked about it. He responded that they practice special teams just like it is a real game, full speed and full contact. Other coaches when asked said basically, "Are you nuts!"

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Today's Buzz: Quarterback Justin Thomas looked sharp during the skeleton passing period of Wednesday's practice. He found A-backs Isiah Willis and Clinton Lynch both down the right sideline and then wide receiver Antonio Messick deep over the middle on consecutive snaps.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Today's Buzz: Quarterback Justin Thomas looked sharp during the skeleton passing period of Wednesday's practice. He found A-backs Isiah Willis and Clinton Lynch both down the right sideline and then wide receiver Antonio Messick deep over the middle on consecutive snaps.

Ack our defensive secondary is going to be such crap this year I kid, I kid

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
oh great. Now to avoid being burned the db s can play loose coverage and give easy underneath completions. That way the dl gets lots of practice and other team dc can have more time to make adjustments.

Just kidding. We all know we will bring PRESSURE and tight coverage in 16!