Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
MLD had 7 receptions last year for 69 yards, at least one of which we motioned him as a 3rd receiver from the A-back spot and some directly from the A-back spot. That's a lot considering those receptions came against CLEM, UNC, Pitt, and FSU. I remember some of his catches coming at critical points in the games and he's surely gotten better than last year. He may not be tall but he does get good separation and has amazing hands. Saying you can't see him at receiver is a little crazy. He had as many receptions as Brad Stewart (y)
Oh no, now you've done it! You're now on the BS clan hit list. Seriously though, with Philpott out (seems to be reoccurring), this only helps with depth. I feel like Ricky, Brad, MLD, and the combination of Messick/Howell/Philpott gives us decent depth at the position. From what we've heard about Camp, I wouldn't be surprised to see him contribute in the fall as well.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If for some reason MLD gets buried down the depth chart at WR, I say we give him a shot at LB. I'm with some of the others, I just don't see him as a WR and think he's better suited at AB because of his ability with the ball in his hands and his blocking skills. Tbh is was probably a depth thing more than anything.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
By moving Lands-Davis out to receiver, I wonder if that means any of the true freshmen are going to play this season. I'd rather they did get a redshirt. I also wonder about Philpott. PJ alluded to an injury a week or two ago

Philpott has been dealing with a hamstring. I'm VERY high on the Dolphin. Big frame, physical, has a reputation as a gym rat, and my favorite part, he's a hand catcher. As I said on his recruitment thread, he INSTANTLY makes me think of Herman Moore, and for those that remember him, that's a high compliment, indeed.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Philpott has been dealing with a hamstring. I'm VERY high on the Dolphin. Big frame, physical, has a reputation as a gym rat, and my favorite part, he's a hand catcher. As I said on his recruitment thread, he INSTANTLY makes me think of Herman Moore, and for those that remember him, that's a high compliment, indeed.

I'm 100% waiting for this. He has the Waller/Hill/DT size and his high school coach constantly described him as a hard worker.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Arch enemy number one! Seemed like he played forever.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
He redshirted last year if I'm not mistaken. We had to burn it because of all the injuries.

You don't lose a redshirt like that. The basic rule is a student can play for four years and those four year must occur within five years of the student enrolling. Once five years have elapsed, the student has run out of eligibility regardless of how many years he played. A redshirt simply refers to the one year of the five in which the student was eligible to play but did not play.

In football, what counts as playing is being on the field for a single snap. Being on the field for one snap counts the same as being on the field for a 1,000 snaps. As was previously stated, redshirts are determined at the end of the year. If at the end of the year the player has played zero snaps, then he can be considered to have taken a redshirt and thus not to have used one his playing years. There is no requirement that the redshirt year be taken in year one. You could play three years, take redshirt, and then play one more year.

I think the phrase "burn a redshirt" is due to the practice of a player playing every year once he plays for the first time. If a player plays in year 1 (i.e., his freshman year), then he usually plays in year 2, 3, and 4, and so never uses the redshirt year (a year 5 redshirt is meaningless because the player has already exhausted his eligibility by that point). Only a small percentage of players take redshirt in their second, third, or fourth years. GT had a player - don't remember who - that did that recently. He played as a true freshman and subsequently took a delayed redshirt year a due to an injury.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
So, as posted elsewhere spring game roster is out. Information to be gleaned??
It appears that Gold is Starting D, and White is Starting O
With that in mind, it appears:
Terrell Lewis currently ahead of David Curry at OLB
Rook and Freeman holding off Henri St. Amour at DE
Kallon and Surge at DT??
Lamont Simmons not starting at DB?
Messick not in the mix at WR?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Noticed there is not a 2019 recruiting thread, thought I'd share this spring visitor with you gents.:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So, as posted elsewhere spring game roster is out. Information to be gleaned??
It appears that Gold is Starting D, and White is Starting O
With that in mind, it appears:
Terrell Lewis currently ahead of David Curry at OLB
Rook and Freeman holding off Henri St. Amour at DE
Kallon and Surge at DT??
Lamont Simmons not starting at DB?
Messick not in the mix at WR?

TL is not nec ahead of Curry. Our starting D will prob have Law at Nickel with PJ and Brandt at LBs.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
TL is not nec ahead of Curry. Our starting D will prob have Law at Nickel with PJ and Brandt at LBs.
TR had them neck and neck this week. I understand that the team will probably play more nickel then base however this was for when they are in base

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
You don't lose a redshirt like that. The basic rule is a student can play for four years and those four year must occur within five years of the student enrolling. Once five years have elapsed, the student has run out of eligibility regardless of how many years he played. A redshirt simply refers to the one year of the five in which the student was eligible to play but did not play.

In football, what counts as playing is being on the field for a single snap. Being on the field for one snap counts the same as being on the field for a 1,000 snaps. As was previously stated, redshirts are determined at the end of the year. If at the end of the year the player has played zero snaps, then he can be considered to have taken a redshirt and thus not to have used one his playing years. There is no requirement that the redshirt year be taken in year one. You could play three years, take redshirt, and then play one more year.

I think the phrase "burn a redshirt" is due to the practice of a player playing every year once he plays for the first time. If a player plays in year 1 (i.e., his freshman year), then he usually plays in year 2, 3, and 4, and so never uses the redshirt year (a year 5 redshirt is meaningless because the player has already exhausted his eligibility by that point). Only a small percentage of players take redshirt in their second, third, or fourth years. GT had a player - don't remember who - that did that recently. He played as a true freshman and subsequently took a delayed redshirt year a due to an injury.

That's a lot of words to say you don't know what you're talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Merriweather just took a redshirt in his soph season.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In terms of MLD to WR, in my mind it is a mixed bag. Mikell showed really soft hands last year. He is very comfortable catching the football. Of this I feel sure. He also showed me that we could shake LBs right down to their core with very physical blocks up high. He doesn't need to cut a guy to block him, even a big guy. He can rattle the inside of their helmet. It was just picking out who to block and the timing of it that gave him trouble from the AB position. Cutting wasn't natural either. MLD will crack block like Smelter. That is a positive. He got open some last year, like ABs typically do, on the wheel route with defenders eyes in our backfield. However, he has yet to show the ability to break out of cuts or blow past defenders to get open. I am not saying he can't do it. I just haven't seen him do it. My gut tells me that, despite running fairly well, he won't be frightening DBs with his ability to get behind them if they don't give a cushion. It may be worth a try for all the reasons stated, but my gut tells me it won't be where he ends up long term. The WR that fits our system is a little taller and can win the contested deep ball. I'm just not sure. With all this said, he is the type guy that we will want to have on the field, somewhere. With all the other talent we have assembled in the offense, it may still be worth it to have him out there to block and maybe have the ball in his hands twice a game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
With all this said, he is the type guy that we will want to have on the field, somewhere. With all the other talent we have assembled in the offense, it may still be worth it to have him out there to block and maybe have the ball in his hands twice a game.
Ah. This is it, I'm betting. We recruited MLD as a BB, but there's enough over there already. Ditto at AB. Oth, he has talent that seems to beg for the field. Sooooo … move him to a position where he'll get a chance to play.

I don't know that this move will work or that it will continue once all the WRs are healthy and the frosh come in. Might as well try it for now, however.