Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
If for some reason MLD gets buried down the depth chart at WR, I say we give him a shot at LB. I'm with some of the others, I just don't see him as a WR and think he's better suited at AB because of his ability with the ball in his hands and his blocking skills. Tbh is was probably a depth thing more than anything.

MLD had some great looking HS film at S as well as LB. His HS also split him out quite a bit at WR. He is not a stranger to the position though it may seem weird to us since we initially projected him at BB.

Pretty talented guy, really. I'm not worried about him finding a home.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Do I remember correctly that in Johnson's first spring game, there were 12 fumbles? I do take exception to one of the writer's claims, that the offense is not made to "consistently" overcome 2nd-and-10 situations. If by "consistently" he means every time, he's right, as are they all (not). But to suggest 2nd-and-10 paralyzes this offense is just wrong. GT gets those frequently, mostly on two downs but often on one play. If Bill James ever attacks offensive football with the fervor of baseball there is no telling what we will learn about the game we thought we knew.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Just watched the espn3 replay.
Liked:
Mills- looks like a poor man's Dwyer, and I mean that as a compliment.
Glanton and Branch looked good. How much this had to do with who was lining up opposite remains to be seen.
Brant Mitchell is ready to ascend.
Kallon looked hard to block. We need him.
D line looked active on both teams.
Howell looks like Waller.
I was expecting Shamire to look bad with the weight reports, but he moved some people. Pretty slow on some rocket pulls, but there are other guys play to pick on before him.

Dislike-
Second team oline didn't get a good look due to all the injuries. They were worked most of the game. First team also lost the LOS, but nowhere near as bad. We need Freddie back. Maybe put Marshall at center, move Burden to Guard, and let Bryan move back to tackle.
Gotta pitch it. We have players at A back, get them the ball.
Marcus Allen looks like a good player, but seems snake bit by injuries.
Marshall couldn't get on track.
Couldn't see the return men. Searcy and Jarrett would be fun to watch run a few back.
Secondary is a concern, because they haven't been tested.

All in all, it's a spring game.
Fall is where we need the OL to gel, and the back rotation to shake out.
Biggest surprise to me is that we may be headlining a freshman at B back again, and our front seven might be decent.
OL and secondary are our biggest concerns heading into fall.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I like bandit's post and avatar. Always liked that uni...just needed a broader navy border around the numbers and maybe just a hair darker shade of gold to be more visible from the stands.

Uni derail over....

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
Keep working young Jackects. stay focus devine ,only you and a few know the work u put in every day not just on game day. If his weight is such a limiting factor to his talent's potential .Such A nonhelp to the coach's playbook. Where is his help ? He has been with gt for 3 years.how big was he when gt recruited him. What was his walk on campus weight? Ge goes to the best school snd there is no help just criticism. His highs Choo didn't have half the equipment, technology ,resources ,money, coaches gt has.but they did care about him so he cared back.played a many of games tired and hurt but with heart,for his team,coach and self. I'm not going to count him out till its over.if you had a player with his stats how would you play him? I know how I would just like every other coach he has played for with success. Does anyone remember refrigerator perry .played for clemson at 390

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Keep working young Jackects. stay focus devine ,only you and a few know the work u put in every day not just on game day. If his weight is such a limiting factor to his talent's potential .Such A nonhelp to the coach's playbook. Where is his help ? He has been with gt for 3 years.how big was he when gt recruited him. What was his walk on campus weight? Ge goes to the best school snd there is no help just criticism. His highs Choo didn't have half the equipment, technology ,resources ,money, coaches gt has.but they did care about him so he cared back.played a many of games tired and hurt but with heart,for his team,coach and self. I'm not going to count him out till its over.if you had a player with his stats how would you play him? I know how I would just like every other coach he has played for with success. Does anyone remember refrigerator perry .played for clemson at 390
Perry wasn't that heavy at Clemson.

WrexRacer

Georgia Tech Fan
The coaches need to pair him up with some of the team gymrats over the summer. Switch him to a high protein diet. He should be able to drop 10 lbs without feeling hungry.

Of course, this assumes he isn't taking some sort of medicine that has a weight gain side effect. I know some of those antidepressants will pack on the pounds.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
MLD had some great looking HS film at S as well as LB. His HS also split him out quite a bit at WR. He is not a stranger to the position though it may seem weird to us since we initially projected him at BB.

Pretty talented guy, really. I'm not worried about him finding a home.

I hear you, he is just not cut out for WR at the D1A level IMO. Just like guys in college that play DE are LB in the NFL. Or DT become DE. When you step up in level, your raw talent means less and less since everyone is talented and you have to be more perfect for the position and a fit. Guys are misfit in the NCAA and high school all the time just because they are more talented and can hang....then you step up in competition and you no longer hold or can project at that spot. This is how I feel about MLD and the WR spot.

IMO we are wasting his potential at WR....of all the offensive and defensive spots he can play, this to me would be his dead last on the potential meter...thats just me...

Looking at MLD's body, hips, speed, and shiftiness, he isn't a WR at all to me. He is a RB or LB. Or maybe S....Sure I could eat these words in a few years, but what I see now, today...I feel good about that projection. He would really need to change a ton physically and movement wise to be a legit WR. Can he? Not sure....

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Who does this remind you of from last year?

The entire OL on that play...yeesh.

On a bright note, KCH's athleticism and balance on that play made Brad Morgan look not so good. Both our RG and C looked helpless there. Going up against KCH and Glanton is going to do nothing but help our OL though.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So somebody break down for me what exactly our RG did wrong besides whiff on the block. He might as well have not even been on the field. Was it technique or just plain lack of quicks?

Not an expert, but it looks to me like he doesn't have his head up to see where Kyle is lined-up. Consequently, he starts to fire out straight ahead instead of toward the DT.

WrexRacer

Georgia Tech Fan
Looks like it was a BB give all the way. The QB isn't even looking at the line, so no option. If that is the case, why have the LG pull and pick up the outside on the right side, especially with the BB heading to the A gap? Since the LG pulled (I am assuming LG and not LT), I would guess the RG should have played to his left (as the center did) and let the LG block the DE, with the BB hitting the B gap?

Just guessing. That looked awful.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This was a practice or scrimmage given the yellow jersey. That means if this was Brad he was inside a week of moving.