Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Suguira with more on Devine:

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/04/21/shamire-devines-critical-role-in-georgia-techs-season/

Trey Braun with the most thoughtful and impressive response I've heard about the situation:

Whenever I see other people who aren’t losing weight, I always try to remember, it’s not because they aren’t as disciplined, or it’s not necessarily they aren’t as disciplined,” Braun said. “I can’t begin to understand what goes on with them. Instead of trying to tear them down or trying to break them down, I always come from a place of building them up. Whatever it is that you need, which only you can determine, I’m going to try to help you with that.”

Last edited:

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I've been waiting for the MLD move. He was certainly a jack of all trades in HS, and showed receiving and blocking ability last season. With the injection of so much speed into the backfield, this should work out for everyone.

Oh wait... someone here is gonna be a little disappointed about their bold prediction of his move to another position, though...

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to be honest, I don't see the MLD to WR thing. Yes, I'm just some random fan, and the coaches see him every single day, and have forgotten more about football than I'll ever know, but I still don't see it. A BIG role of the WR in GT's offense is the threat to take the top off the defense to punish them for kamikazeing the run game, and MLD...well like I said, I just don't see it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
MLD I think will be a great short/mid route WR. We just only throw those once every other game.
Actually, I was thinking this very same thing, but if it's successful, it could give us a viable option to the run game on 3rd and short. He should be adept at breaking containment on press coverage due to his physicality and springing open on slants and other shorties. Once we establish a short passing threat, the short run game should be much improved as the second and third level defenders can no longer flood the box on 3rd and short. We become less predictable if all goes to plan.

But what I'm really looking forward to are his crack-backs, they should be devastating!

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
MLD can redshirt. However, I don't see that happening. He is too talented. He will help in run blocking at WR.

I just felt like his run blocking was better suited at AB along with his hands. Hitting him on a seam route from AB slot.... Well imo we need more ABs that can catch and block well. And, he does both very well imo.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
That's odd because it is in his bio. Always thought you had to declare who was redshirting before the season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has always had the freak WR (the one who takes the top off the defense) on one side (think Stephen Hill, Demaryius Thomas, Deandre Smelter...and now Jeune is developing into that role) and the solid blocker/possession WR type on the other side (think Michael Summer, Tyler Melton). It may be more a function of personnel, as I'm sure if Demarius and Deandre were playing at the same time, they'd both start. The point is, CPJ has a role for the guys who are fundamentally strong at WR (blocks well, knows their assignments, can catch when thrown their way, etc.). I think Brad Stewart will be a good mix between a very strong WR threat and a fundamentally sound WR...the happy medium between the two roles.

The thing is, the skill positions are beginning to get a loaded...and that's a good thing for us. You'll start seeing more and more guys like MLD get lost in the shuffle because we're so deep at every skill position. IMO, MLD was a very good AB, and he would have been a better one as the years went by. It's just we have a LOT of talent at AB, BB (his original position he was recruited for), and WR will become that way very soon. As some have stated, redshirting is probably the best option for MLD at this point. Don't forget, Searcy started off at WR his RS year, and is now an AB.

You just never know with this offense. MLD has value at 3 positions, and he'll be a good player. We just don't know where his final stop will be yet.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
MLD had 7 receptions last year for 69 yards, at least one of which we motioned him as a 3rd receiver from the A-back spot and some directly from the A-back spot. That's a lot considering those receptions came against CLEM, UNC, Pitt, and FSU. I remember some of his catches coming at critical points in the games and he's surely gotten better than last year. He may not be tall but he does get good separation and has amazing hands. Saying you can't see him at receiver is a little crazy. He had as many receptions as Brad Stewart (y)

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
By moving Lands-Davis out to receiver, I wonder if that means any of the true freshmen are going to play this season. I'd rather they did get a redshirt. I also wonder about Philpott. PJ alluded to an injury a week or two ago