Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Shamire is a typical GT geek, who just happens to have NFL level talent to play football.

My concerns for Shamire extend beyond the football field and more about healthy lifestyle.

I agree. That's one reason I have been so encouraged to follow Trey Brauns quest to change his lifestyle. He is putting in some serious roadwork as a runner as he transitions away from football. If Shamire is this big while playing, he's going to really struggle when his playing days are over.

As for the weight loss, A person his size can reasonably lose 4 lbs a week through diet and exercise for a few weeks. After a while, the weight won't come off as easy. I dropped 60 lbs last year. I did it in a shade over 4 months. (18 weeks) That's roughly 3.3 lbs per week, but in reality, I lost 20 pounds the first 3 weeks. It was much slower the closer I got to goal weight. And exercise alone won't do it. It honestly requires a commitment to better eating habits. I am now running in the neighborhood of 20 miles a week, and I still have to watch my food intake. The saying is true: you can't outrun a bad diet.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I agree. That's one reason I have been so encouraged to follow Trey Brauns quest to change his lifestyle. He is putting in some serious roadwork as a runner as he transitions away from football. If Shamire is this big while playing, he's going to really struggle when his playing days are over.

As for the weight loss, A person his size can reasonably lose 4 lbs a week through diet and exercise for a few weeks. After a while, the weight won't come off as easy. I dropped 60 lbs last year. I did it in a shade over 4 months. (18 weeks) That's roughly 3.3 lbs per week, but in reality, I lost 20 pounds the first 3 weeks. It was much slower the closer I got to goal weight. And exercise alone won't do it. It honestly requires a commitment to better eating habits. I am now running in the neighborhood of 20 miles a week, and I still have to watch my food intake. The saying is true: you can't outrun a bad diet.

That is a great job you did right there!

Congrats!

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
No doubt the OL looked better in the scrimmage yesterday. If JT was "live" it would have been even better. Great goal line competition between the offense and defense with the O scoring on fourth down. Both sides were fired up. Shamire definitely needs to get in better shape. He could be a beast but he got gassed and was slow off the ball later in the scrimmage. There were some hard hits from both sides. Ready for the spring game now!!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
"Shamire has to play...he's gotta be the guy."

Interesting choice of words. Shamire is no the doubt the most physically gifted guy on the OL, if not the entire team (if you don't think so, just look at the 2013 game against FSU in the ACCCG). Just needs to want it.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

Interesting choice of words. Shamire is no the doubt the most physically gifted guy on the OL, if not the entire team (if you don't think so, just look at the 2013 game against FSU in the ACCCG). Just needs to want it.

You mean the 2014 ACCCG?

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow

I hurt for Shamire. I really do.

As someone who has been overweight, you just feel SO much better when you get it off. Physically, mentally, emotionally, stamina-wise; clothes fit, skin feels better, just everything. Once you get it off you never want to see it again. I want to see him get there, not just for football but for himself.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

And the reason, strictly from a health POV, that Shamire needs to get to seriously working on his weight now. If he thinks he can put on weight at 20, wait until he hits 40, or 45. The diets get tighter and the workout regimen more intense, and then you realize potato chips and french fries and soft drinks and ... everything that makes life worthwhile -- food-wise I'm talking -- is a distant memory. That is not exaggerated all that much, either. At 20 I junked out on everything, played sports, did stuff without even thinking. And realized at 35 I had a paunch. Now, that is a life changing experience.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yeah Have To Learn To Block that AssClown Board Member but,

http://m.ajc.com/news/sports/college/roof-mccollum-swap-position-duties-for-spring-poss/nq7TT/

Interesting
Not sure what this means:

Roof was noncommittal on whether the change will remain past the spring.

“We’ll see,” he said. “We have a lot of things that we’ve got to get done in the next couple months.

The coaches aren't allowed to work with the team over "the next couple months" are they?