Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Taquon is moving to QB from A-back.
Refresh my memory please... Was he the dynamic good A-back who got hurt early in the season recovering a bad snap or something against Notre Dame or Duke? Or was he one of those so-so freshman A-backs playing the forgettable second half of the season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Refresh my memory please... Was he the dynamic good A-back who got hurt early in the season recovering a bad snap or something against Notre Dame or Duke? Or was he one of those so-so freshman A-backs playing the forgettable second half of the season?

He was the other electric playmaker that showed out in the first game.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

If I recall correctly, he was the first T-Fr AB to see the field last year and showed some ability with the ball in his hands (not sure how his blocking looked, but it must have been ok for him to be on the field). I'm not sure if he got banged up or just passed by a few guys, but I don't think he played as much as the year went on.

Tdippp

Ramblin' Wreck
If I recall correctly, he was the first T-Fr AB to see the field last year and showed some ability with the ball in his hands (not sure how his blocking looked, but it must have been ok for him to be on the field). I'm not sure if he got banged up or just passed by a few guys, but I don't think he played as much as the year went on.
If I'm not mistaken, I think he broke his hand against Duke.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
He doesn't look like he got any bigger at all.
Dottie's estimate might be a little high. But, she's not wrong. Brad has already put on noticeable muscle, and he's just gotten started. Looked thicker and more filled-out the other day. He's coming along nicely. By the Fall, he will bring more physicality to the position I would think.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

My memory is that his playing time dropped off mysteriously. The injury was not talked about until much later in the season. Young, you may be right about the broken hand.

I'm just happy to see him get a trial at QB. Jordon may develop quickly; I dunno. I think with these option quarterbacks you really don't know until you give them a try.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think I must've broken that bone too.
Same here.
Broke off hand and added 20#. Then eating hand got stuck fork syndrome and gained another 40.

Would love to see sham catch fire soon. Son coached byron bell who coasted thru collge then walked on at panthers ol. Signed w Titans for 5kk AFTER falling in love w intense exercise.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
T Marshall just might win out as starter in '17.He gets a leg up on true Fr and has more athleticism than MJ.
He really won't have that much of a leg up on the two incoming freshman at the QB spot. I just don't see him throwing the ball aswell as the other two freshmen coming in. I do like how he's atheletic though.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
It will come down to who will be able to get the pre/post snap reads correct. TM wouldn't get a look at QB if CPJ didn't think he would be able to compete for the job.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

DB turned A-Back Lynn Griffin now learning nuances of position
The DB-turned-A-back has something of a running bet with offensive line coach Mike Sewak to see who can get into the film room first after practice to study cut-ups.

It’s all part of the learning process.

“I watched some of the film with coach Sewak yesterday, and [Chris Griffin] has a great get-off,” Lynn said. “We always argue who gets in the film room first after practice...but he always beats me to it.

Candidate field crowded for Jackets kick returners
“We haven’t come close to deciding who it’s going to be but there are four or five guys at punt return and the same at kickoff return,” said Johnson, following Wednesday’s practice. “Qua Searcy is a guy on punts and Brad Stewartcaught some punts. We looked at Dedrick [Mills] on kickoffs. There are some different guys. We’ll determine that. We’re repping it but we’re not doing any of it live.”

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know about you guys but I am excited about LG at AB. Last season, by my eye, he was the best guy (we had playing at the end of the season) at getting something out of nothing with the ball in his hands. He didn't always know what he was doing, but that is understandable. I always felt as a defender he was better coming forward, with plays in front of him. Now he gets to keep all plays in front of him playing offense. He is a physical and aggressive player who projects to block well too, once he learns what he is doing. You know he is hungry for a major contribution after being the odd man out on defense for much of his tenure.