Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think our DL is going to pleasantly surprise us this year.
Frankly, there was more reason for optimism this time last year. We had Gotsis returning for his senior year, we had Freeman returning from a freshman All ACC type year and most importantly we had Jabari returning to the team who was called "the best DL I faced all year" by our best OL in a decade. All we were losing was Shawn Green at DT who was oft injured throughout his career.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO the backside line men stay on there feet, slow the D down and get downfield to block. The belly flopping in past years IMO is for the birds. or maybe Porpoises. The Orange Bowl year there was a lot more drive blocking when we turned around a poor start.

I hope to hell coaches figure out why our O line was so bad last year. All the talk about missing assignments has to reflect on poor coaching. Last year should not have happened IMO with the returning O line we had. It is a lot more complex than the limited substitution days when I played, but the fundamentals are still the same.
The problem is not the scheme or technique of the OL in my opinion but the fact that we were young and not experienced enough to beat man coverage one on one at the wide out position. That allowed defenses to stack the box and bring more than we could block. We'll see if that gets better this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The problem is not the scheme or technique of the OL in my opinion but the fact that we were young and not experienced enough to beat man coverage one on one at the wide out position. That allowed defenses to stack the box and bring more than we could block. We'll see if that gets better this year.
That and our Bbacks and Abacks were not nearly as good as their predecessors and JT over compensated frequently and made dumb decisions. Basically, the whole O, man for man, unit for unit, was worse than the year before.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Frankly, there was more reason for optimism this time last year. We had Gotsis returning for his senior year, we had Freeman returning from a freshman All ACC type year and most importantly we had Jabari returning to the team who was called "the best DL I faced all year" by our best OL in a decade. All we were losing was Shawn Green at DT who was oft injured throughout his career.

I, for sure, and probably most others here forgot that Tech ALWAYS crushes your dreams academically and athletically. But then later fulfills them in ways you never expected.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I will say that in 2014 I thought 2016 was "Our year" more than 14 or 15. Good year to build off with 14. 15 to have the defense carry the young RB's as they learn their way and give reps to the 2nd string defense.

2016 with a RS SR JeT and young but "experienced" supporting cast looked to be a great line up for a run to me.

Unfortunately 15 had so many injuries it kind of screwed everything up.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Noticed that Whitehead is out for spring with an undisclosed injury and this is a guy who needs the work. Remember how the Kool Aid was flowing when he transferred in?

Whitehead may hold the recent record for most words written about him with ZERO contribution.Wow--out for Spring,without injuries to other guys at DE there is very little chance this guy will ever play.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Nothing really new here but a nice write up on one of my favorite Jackets Brant Mitchell!
http://www.macon.com/sports/college/acc/georgia-tech/article70185427.html
1128_masp_uga_gat_4066_er.jpg

Techster

Helluva Engineer

...and how'd the D-Line turn out? Outside of Gotsis, it was below average as CPJ has stated.

I think if our DTs can hold the point on passing downs, and play plus against the run, guys like Branch, Freeman, Frenchie (Saint-Amour), and Simmons (hopefully he returns) will be a lot better making plays behind the line of scrimmage.

Optimism again from me, but those guys are hitting the prime years of most college DEs. We'll see...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Taquon is moving to QB from A-back.

Interesting. Wonder if we're expecting attrition since 2 QBs are coming this fall. This was a rumored move before we signed 2 QBs, so not super surprising...just didn't think it would happen since we closed out our recruiting class.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. Wonder if we're expecting attrition since 2 QBs are coming this fall. This was a rumored move before we signed 2 QBs, so not super surprising...just didn't think it would happen since we closed out our recruiting class.
I wonder if he is moving to QB as a worst case scenario. He might be one of the A backs that they are planning on RS this year and would burn his RS at QB instead of one of the incoming Fr. who have a hard time they would get very little reps when they get here. He can better feel now of playing QB since he already know the playbook. Again a very worst case scenario. He can always move back to Ab if needed.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if he is moving to QB as a worst case scenario. He might be one of the A backs that they are planning on RS this year and would burn his RS at QB instead of one of the incoming Fr. who have a hard time they would get very little reps when they get here. He can better feel now of playing QB since he already know the playbook. Again a very worst case scenario. He can always move back to Ab if needed.

I like the move. The more numbers you have at QB, the better chances of finding a diamond. I've always thought you give a kid a shot at QB first, then move him out if it's not working. QB is the most important position on the field.

If it doesn't work out for Taquan at QB, then he'll be a stud AB. Win-Win.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I think this is probably accurate.