Spring game talk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
That's not what he said.

My bad I didn't say his exact words, but what do you take that as? Lucas johnson can throw the ball 50 yards as well and throws a tight spiral. When someone in football says a person throws a good ball it mean accuracy, tight spiral, good arm etc.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I watched the replay last night. The DL is way ahead of the OL at least in the scrimmage. QB's were under duress way too often. Couldn't seem to handle blitzes on passing situations. Was not a good visual for prospective recruits to see PJ grab JL and another player about missed assignment. Do it in private please. Hope injuries were not serious. Curry looked like it could be. He has a lot of potential.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I watched the replay last night. The DL is way ahead of the OL at least in the scrimmage. QB's were under duress way too often. Couldn't seem to handle blitzes on passing situations. Was not a good visual for prospective recruits to see PJ grab JL and another player about missed assignment. Do it in private please. Hope injuries were not serious. Curry looked like it could be. He has a lot of potential.
It's football who cares if he grabs the players, if a kid doesn't like that then he's in for a rude awakening when he gets to college. He's going to be screamed at and probably garbed like that. Just turn on most college games and watch the head coach, that stuff is completely normal.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
My bad I didn't say his exact words, but what do you take that as? Lucas johnson can throw the ball 50 yards as well and throws a tight spiral. When someone in football says a person throws a good ball it mean accuracy, tight spiral, good arm etc.

Normally I would agree with you, but he then immediately followed up with two comments about how far he can throw it and how he has the strongest arm. I took it as Jay Jones has the strongest arm as opposed to maybe the most accurate arm.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
At least you never have to wonder if you screwed up or not.

8c5d502807df4049b8b6794050aa5361-0ec651e6a98d40259e7bbd4912480821-0.jpg

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Well, if it is any comfort at least he did not grab him by the face mask and give it a good shake or two like my coach did when I missed a tackle on special teams. Naturally, being a um sensitive sort I complained to my dad who promptly told me I was lucky he was not on the sidelines or it would have been worse. Gee, where is the kindly father figure when you need one?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Well, if it is any comfort at least he did not grab him by the face mask and give it a good shake or two like my coach did when I missed a tackle on special teams. Naturally, being a um sensitive sort I complained to my dad who promptly told me I was lucky he was not on the sidelines or it would have been worse. Gee, where is the kindly father figure when you need one?
On a related note, did you ever notice that offensive linemen seem to get yelled at the most? Man, it is a rough life. Toil away so some pretty boy back gets the cheers and when you mess up some geezer (relatively speaking of course) gets in your grill. All the pain none of the glory. Story of my life as a working stiff these past 40 years or so.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
It sounds like your dad would have made a very good football coach;)(y) You have to have quite a backbone to be able to take the Woody Hayes treatment:cool:

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
It sounds like your dad would have made a very good football coach;)(y) You have to have quite a backbone to be able to take the Woody Hayes treatment:cool:
Nah, he was making too good a living as a businessman back in the day. It wasn't so bad being yanked. My worst experience was being flagged for a personal foul with a standing team rule of 1 lap after practice for each yard of a penalty that you were responsible for. 15 laps was about 4 miles. Never lost my temper on a football field after that. I thought my legs were going to fall off.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
who knows. But I know this. Paul has yet to make a wrong decision at which QB to play. So its the last of my concerns from the standpoint of if the QB he picks is the right one.

The D is the real issue IMO. But I will save it for the season. What we do on O; does not expose the exact weaknesses of our D well. So its an impossible view to gauge our D or really our O to be honest. Which is I will hold off for the season.

I said this before...in our spring games its harder to gauge as much as other teams spring games with traditional college offenses on both sides of the ball....all I look at is individual talent and playmaking....I like what we have in alot of spots...team just needs to jell...
Agree! Don't know how good the starter will be, but 2-4 will be the deepest at QB in a loooong time.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I wish I had a nickel for every time my coach got in my face. Even grabbed my face mask.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Normally I would agree with you, but he then immediately followed up with two comments about how far he can throw it and how he has the strongest arm. I took it as Jay Jones has the strongest arm as opposed to maybe the most accurate arm.
I get where you are coming from, but I still think that's just thinkin to much into it. I think we can take the statements just as they are and like you said if it wasn't for the 50 yard comment you would agree with what I said, so I don't think because of a second comment we can completely disregard his first statement from what it means standing alone. I think the 50 yard statement was just him making a statement to show how impressive his arm is, not really saying that's why he throws the best ball. I've been around football a lot and I'm around college aged kids and that's just how they talk, I've actually heard that statement "he throws a good ball" and that goes for accuracy, arm strength, etc. Also I've spoken with someone who has seen the QB's and before this comment came out, he told me he was the best passer. For what it's worth I asked a college aged kid today about that statement and he says that means overall he's the best passer even with the 50 yard comment at the end.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I get where you are coming from, but I still think that's just thinkin to much into it. I think we can take the statements just as they are and like you said if it wasn't for the 50 yard comment you would agree with what I said, so I don't think because of a second comment we can completely disregard his first statement from what it means standing alone. I think the 50 yard statement was just him making a statement to show how impressive his arm is, not really saying that's why he throws the best ball. I've been around football a lot and I'm around college aged kids and that's just how they talk, I've actually heard that statement "he throws a good ball" and that goes for accuracy, arm strength, etc. Also I've spoken with someone who has seen the QB's and before this comment came out, he told me he was the best passer. For what it's worth I asked a college aged kid today about that statement and he says that means overall he's the best passer even with the 50 yard comment at the end.
LOL, i've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again, so I could absolutely be wrong. As I said a few comments before, even though it's a small sample, for now I trust my eyes :) but thank you for disagreeing with me without calling me an idiot.