Spring game talk

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
If Jay Jones gets his reads & ball security down, look out! Speed, quickness, athleticism. On top of his unbelievable athleticism, he is tough to bring down! By looking at him, you wouldn't think that he could bring it to a linebacker, but my goodness the kid is tough. Vic Alexander tried to level him and had a clean shot on him, but Jones spun off the tackle and managed three or four more yards. Not discounting MJ, but I suspect we will see this kid

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If Jay Jones gets his reads & ball security down, look out! Speed, quickness, athleticism. On top of his unbelievable athleticism, he is tough to bring down! By looking at him, you wouldn't think that he could bring it to a linebacker, but my goodness the kid is tough. Vic Alexander tried to level him and had a clean shot on him, but Jones spun off the tackle and managed three or four more yards. Not discounting MJ, but I suspect we will see this kid
He has phenomenal balance, he almost stayed up after being tripped up twice on a pass play towards the end of the game.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Rats! I was hoping it wasn't a soft tissue injury. Those are always worse and more indefinite in recovery. I've had one (glut) and I know it's no fun.

Well, my best wishes to Matthew. After the game I thought it was obvious that we'll really need him next year.

I think we will be all right with Matthew or without him. This offense requires repetitions and timing. Difficult to accomplish when you are out. I am hoping that I am wrong but it may prove to be problematic for him to come all the way back so soon. We might have to look to one of the spring game quarterbacks for an extended period of playing time. I have no idea who would be the best choice. Not sure, at this point, that Coach Johnson does either. They are pretty bunched up with each having different strengths and weaknesses. May be an interesting fall practice and first few games. This may lead to one of the most cherished Tech fan past times: picking a quarterback and arguing about who should or should not be playing. (I know, don't you love posters with a coherent defined point of view that has few qualifications)

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I think no matter what happens, Jay Jones will find himself on the field this fall. He might do like Jordan and play AB for a couple of years but still practice at QB, then switch back to QB when MJ graduates.
MJ's injury may force him and Taquon to stay at QB at least through UT -- good thing we have depth at both spots -- and I agree. He may find himself on the field this fall.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think we will be all right with Matthew or without him. This offense requires repetitions and timing. Difficult to accomplish when you are out. I am hoping that I am wrong but it may prove to be problematic for him to come all the way back so soon. We might have to look to one of the spring game quarterbacks for an extended period of playing time. I have no idea who would be the best choice. Not sure, at this point, that Coach Johnson does either. They are pretty bunched up with each having different strengths and weaknesses. May be an interesting fall practice and first few games. This may lead to one of the most cherished Tech fan past times: picking a quarterback and arguing about who should or should not be playing. (I know, don't you love posters with a coherent defined point of view that has few qualifications)
If somebody doesn't shore up ball security, he can forget it.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I hope i am wrong but i am worried about the QB position without MJ. Taquan is a great athlete but his passing scares me. We have to be able to hit big passing plays and i dont think he can do that consistently.

Last edited:

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
At least you never have to wonder if you screwed up or not.

8c5d502807df4049b8b6794050aa5361-0ec651e6a98d40259e7bbd4912480821-0.jpg
Whatever psychology he used with Lynch I am all for because Lynch is one hell of a player.

Deleted member 2897

I watched the replay last night. The DL is way ahead of the OL at least in the scrimmage. QB's were under duress way too often. Couldn't seem to handle blitzes on passing situations. Was not a good visual for prospective recruits to see PJ grab JL and another player about missed assignment. Do it in private please. Hope injuries were not serious. Curry looked like it could be. He has a lot of potential.

CPJs allowance for missed assignments is inversely proportional to the players ability and experience. He doesn't yell at a freshman who is on the field for the first time and misses an assignment, but if there is someone who is playing extensively and should know better, that's when he gets most upset.

I think it's great that our defensive line appears to be better than most years and ahead of the curve. That will only drive our offensive line to get better and better. We need them in tiptop shape as quickly as possible, so we can avoid getting blown up by teams like Clemson again.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
If somebody doesn't shore up ball security, he can forget it.

Yep. The one thing Coach Johnson will absolutely not tolerate is a quarterback being careless with the ball. Maybe Alabama can get away with silly turnovers but the rest of us simply cannot win games with a negative turnover ratio. This offense is already prone to quarterbacks being blindsided and hit every which way so ball security is job one.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
who knows. But I know this. Paul has yet to make a wrong decision at which QB to play. So its the last of my concerns from the standpoint of if the QB he picks is the right one.

Couldn't agree more. The whole Vad Lee / Tevin Washington thing showed that. Seeing all the practice reps makes it really obvious for a coach.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Whatever psychology he used with Lynch I am all for because Lynch is one hell of a player.

That Lynch is so typical for a Tech Aback. Not that big, not terribly fast but if your team needs a few yards for a first down? He's got it. Need a seam route for a TD? He's got that too. Need a block on the perimeter? He's got that covered. The man is as Inside says: "...one hell of a player"