Spring game talk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The D line has looked great so far, branch is playing well and so is Mitchell. The D honestly looks to have more energy and speed than last year, looks like the guys have put in some work this off season. OL struggling a little but I think they will be fine. Derick Mills, enough said. Not sure about the QB's, I don't think they have had much time to do anything and CPJ has already talked about how good they are. Any thoughts from anyone?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Lots of fun watching individuals tonight, we have 2 RS Fr QBs that are going to be a ball to watch. Lucas surprised me with his speed and decisiveness, polished passer. Jay explosively quick, strong arm need to learn touch. Both has very good feet. Kirvonte will get playing time, great body lean and you're not bringing him down with a hand, Q didn't have much room to run but showed he can get yardage inside and good hands catching the ball. Jalen is a beast and will be a player! Cottrell has not lost any speed, decisive and he will blow you up blocking, tough as nails!

Will watch the replay on WatcheSECpn in the morning. I want to see if what I think I saw on the D holds ;)

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
My highlights:
DB: Jarett Cole: made a lot of plays, big hits for 2nd team defense
LB's: Brant Mitchell and Vic Alexander and Lewis were awesome, Cooksey is a real nice player.
DL: Branch stood out to me, Simmons played good.
OL: Will Bryan got hurt, hard to tell who stood out, watched Lee and he did good, but saw Johnson really getting on to him after one play.
QB's: All looked Good, would have liked to see L Johnson run 1st team some, he's better runner then I thought, Jones & T Marshall look very similar in style.
BB: KV Benson is awesome, Nice power and good moves, Quaide W and D Mills looked real good.
AB: Cottrell looked good until he got nailed with late hit, looks like he will be playing and in AB rotation. Gantt, Garrett look good.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
QB- Jay Jones looks to be a future game changer. Lucas has a really great arm and good speed. Taquon looked solid and is a good runner but nothing really stood out. All QBs need to get a lot better at pitch relation badly.

BB- Dedrick is a tank. Benson looks like he can step right in MMs shoes and be effective. Quaide can get us some tough yards.

AB- Qua, JJ do what they do. Cottrell looks like he's gonna into the rotation some. I really like Gantt but hope he can fill out a little bit more, great athlete.

WR- Camp did a pretty good job, physical specimen.

OL- Hard to say, I know Jahazel Lee had a pretty bad day

DL- Standouts- Branch, Simmons, Merriweather, Saint-Armour overall the DL pretty much owned the OL

LB- Mitchell, Vic and Lewis looked pretty good, I think we can take a step forward this year.

DB- Didn't get much of a look on them. Very few passes were in danger of being caught.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Like I said, I was watching the 2nd OL and Nate Cottrell.

Of the 2nd OL, the less said the better. But that was largely due to Shamire not being available. If he had been suited out - and from the way he was moving it was not a mistake to keep him out - then when Will went out, he would have gone in and the Golds would have had The Twins for the whole game. No doubt that would have made a difference.

As for Cottrell: he'll play next year and in the top 3. Why? The young man can flat out block. He was sealing the edge regularly. Unfortunately, the OTs for the Whites weren't doing all that well and - yep - not having Will or Shamire was hurting the blocking, especially on the backside. He also had at least one good run - it was shocking how many times our QBs didn't make the pitch - and caught a couple. Anyone know how badly he was hurt? He wasn't on the field in the second half.

Overall impressions:
• Matt Jordan's job isn't in any danger. T. Marshall looked the best, I thought, though it is easy to see why people like Jones. He's very physically talented, but he played like a high school kid tonight. Johnson is a developing talent as well. But the last two aren't ready for combat tomorrow.
• BB is in good shape. Benson had the biggest run of the night and scored, but that was because he actually had some blocking. When Quaid got that, he did fine. We're ok here. Coach said they were 2a and 2b. My impression exactly.
• The D looked pretty good for most of the game, but with so many O folks out, it was hard to tell about them. Mitchell and Alexander came on as the game progressed, as did Freeman. The DBs looked good, but that may have been because the QBs on both sides weren't getting time to throw. We'll see when fall comes around.

Biggest concern = depth on OL.

Biggest hope = that the frosh OLs we have coming in can shore up the front, just like last year.

Biggest relief = we actually seem to have some DL depth. Mirabile dictu!

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
It looked like a spring game. Sloppy on offense. Defense missed some assignments but looked decent on both teams. It seemed like several kids got banged up (Curry, Bryan, Alexander, Cottrell). Curry looked like the most serious although I didn't hear anything about how serious any of them were. All in all you can't make too much of a spring scrimmage. Punts weren't good but the place kicking was ok.

It looked like a spring game. Sloppy on offense. Defense missed some assignments but looked decent on both teams. It seemed like several kids got banged up (Curry, Bryan, Alexander, Cottrell). Curry looked like the most serious although I didn't hear anything about how serious any of them were. All in all you can't make too much of a spring scrimmage. Punts weren't good but the place kicking was ok.
Will's dad (flea7) said it appeared just to be a stinger. Let's hope so. He didn't seem concerned.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Judging off the spring game is about as effective as reading tea leaves....but is more fun...so what the heck? I'll blast out my quick take on the D first though I probably missed most if not all of the 1st Qtr.

I think we will have better wheels overall on D. Brant Mitchell seemed to be playing faster and covering more ground. He, Branch, Simmons, and Lewis really seemed to be flying around. The D seemed to do better getting off blocks at the line and in open space. That said, a lot of our experienced playmakers were sidelined on O so advantage to the D.

Will we play Simmons at WDE and Freeman at SDE? That makes the most sense to me but I'm certainly no football guru.

Big Brandon Adams seems improved stamina wise. Stayed out on the field for extended durations. Held the point of attack well, got some push at times, and sometimes was occupied by two blockers. Mobility is still a weakness for him and he needs to shed another 20-30 pounds I think.

Viewing from home it was difficult to observe the secondary so I really don't have much to say here....except....don't hit teammates late or out of bounds ;)

O was tough to judge with the guys sidelined due to injury. Was good to see 4 QBs get reps but I think that kept any from being able to "get in a groove." OL was shaky at times but we again had some guys dinged up there too. We really need to stay healthy on OL. BB and AB will be good to go (just have to improve in blocking and could potentially be stellar at both spots). Camp will be a legit WR for us and will get reps with BS and RJ. I like our WRs but didn't see a lot to make me think we will actually play 4-5 guys. I think those main 3 will get 90% of the reps.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I was really impressed with Lucas he is a QB first runner second & I was surprise how CPJ used him as such. He is a passer and that's something GT hasnt had under CPJ. He is very intriguing to me. & he can run and run away from defenders.

Jones looked like a runner but needs to secure the ball.

Taquan did OK. Wish Jordan had played so I could compare.

Benson is a player. The D looked nastier than last year. & of a the abacks are deep.

I think GT is in good shape & should surprise some people.

& Mathew better have an awesome summer. For real.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I was really impressed with Lucas he is a QB first runner second & I was surprise how CPJ used him as such. He is a passer and that's something GT hasnt had under CPJ. He is very intriguing to me. & he can run and run away from defenders.

Benson is a player. The D looked nastier than last year. & of a the abacks are deep.

Did you see the cast on MJ's leg. I doubt he's playing much football this summer.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer

Vad was a pretty prolific thrower of the football. Jay Jones has the upper hand ATM.