Spring game talk

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
...... The D looked nastier than last year. .......

Watched the 2nd to 4th quarters and I spent most of the time watching the D. This is my big take away too. GATA pretty much sums the D up.

Offense was sloppy and inconsistent but that's expected with all the different player combinations.

The other take away is how big and strong our players have gotten from where we were 5 years ago. In Yellow Jacket alley before the games, I often thought how average our players looked in size and strength. No more. That's probably why the SEC doesn't push us around like they used to.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Watched the 2nd to 4th quarters and I spent most of the time watching the D. This is my big take away too. GATA pretty much sums the D up.

Offense was sloppy and inconsistent but that's expected with all the different player combinations.

The other take away is how big and strong our players have gotten from where we were 5 years ago. In Yellow Jacket alley before the games, I often thought how average our players looked in size and strength. No more. That's probably why the SEC doesn't push us around like they used to.
I think CPJ began recruiting more size and he has upgraded our speed from the get go. Back in the day, for every speedster on the roster, we had a bunch of plodders.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Lots of fun watching individuals tonight, we have 2 RS Fr QBs that are going to be a ball to watch. Lucas surprised me with his speed and decisiveness, polished passer. Jay explosively quick, strong arm need to learn touch. Both has very good feet. Kirvonte will get playing time, great body lean and you're not bringing him down with a hand, Q didn't have much room to run but showed he can get yardage inside and good hands catching the ball. Jalen is a beast and will be a player! Cottrell has not lost any speed, decisive and he will blow you up blocking, tough as nails!

Will watch the replay on WatcheSECpn in the morning. I want to see if what I think I saw on the D holds ;)

OldJacket, when is the replay on WatcheSECpn?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Like I said, I was watching the 2nd OL and Nate Cottrell.

Of the 2nd OL, the less said the better. But that was largely due to Shamire not being available. If he had been suited out - and from the way he was moving it was not a mistake to keep him out - then when Will went out, he would have gone in and the Golds would have had The Twins for the whole game. No doubt that would have made a difference.

As for Cottrell: he'll play next year and in the top 3. Why? The young man can flat out block. He was sealing the edge regularly. Unfortunately, the OTs for the Whites weren't doing all that well and - yep - not having Will or Shamire was hurting the blocking, especially on the backside. He also had at least one good run - it was shocking how many times our QBs didn't make the pitch - and caught a couple. Anyone know how badly he was hurt? He wasn't on the field in the second half.

Overall impressions:
• Matt Jordan's job isn't in any danger. T. Marshall looked the best, I thought, though it is easy to see why people like Jones. He's very physically talented, but he played like a high school kid tonight. Johnson is a developing talent as well. But the last two aren't ready for combat tomorrow.
• BB is in good shape. Benson had the biggest run of the night and scored, but that was because he actually had some blocking. When Quaid got that, he did fine. We're ok here. Coach said they were 2a and 2b. My impression exactly.
• The D looked pretty good for most of the game, but with so many O folks out, it was hard to tell about them. Mitchell and Alexander came on as the game progressed, as did Freeman. The DBs looked good, but that may have been because the QBs on both sides weren't getting time to throw. We'll see when fall comes around.

Biggest concern = depth on OL.

Biggest hope = that the frosh OLs we have coming in can shore up the front, just like last year.

Biggest relief = we actually seem to have some DL depth. Mirabile dictu!
MJ might not be in danger but I wouldn't go based off of this game. CPJ said they played a lot better during the spring, and I honestly doubt MJ would have done any better, that's not a hit on MJ but the D was in the backfield, for what seemed almost every play not much a QB can do with that. Besides that, good info and I agree.

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan
Like I said, I was watching the 2nd OL and Nate Cottrell.

Of the 2nd OL, the less said the better. But that was largely due to Shamire not being available. If he had been suited out - and from the way he was moving it was not a mistake to keep him out - then when Will went out, he would have gone in and the Golds would have had The Twins for the whole game. No doubt that would have made a difference.

As for Cottrell: he'll play next year and in the top 3. Why? The young man can flat out block. He was sealing the edge regularly. Unfortunately, the OTs for the Whites weren't doing all that well and - yep - not having Will or Shamire was hurting the blocking, especially on the backside. He also had at least one good run - it was shocking how many times our QBs didn't make the pitch - and caught a couple. Anyone know how badly he was hurt? He wasn't on the field in the second half.

Overall impressions:
• Matt Jordan's job isn't in any danger. T. Marshall looked the best, I thought, though it is easy to see why people like Jones. He's very physically talented, but he played like a high school kid tonight. Johnson is a developing talent as well. But the last two aren't ready for combat tomorrow.
• BB is in good shape. Benson had the biggest run of the night and scored, but that was because he actually had some blocking. When Quaid got that, he did fine. We're ok here. Coach said they were 2a and 2b. My impression exactly.
• The D looked pretty good for most of the game, but with so many O folks out, it was hard to tell about them. Mitchell and Alexander came on as the game progressed, as did Freeman. The DBs looked good, but that may have been because the QBs on both sides weren't getting time to throw. We'll see when fall comes around.

Biggest concern = depth on OL.

Biggest hope = that the frosh OLs we have coming in can shore up the front, just like last year.

Biggest relief = we actually seem to have some DL depth. Mirabile dictu!

I can agree with all of this except for QB. I thought that Taquon looked worst of all the QBs by far. I would have loved to see Lucas Johnson play with the first team. I think Johnson is our only true QB. The other guys are just athletes playing QB. Not saying that is a bad thing, because that's what JT was... But none of these guys are a JT tier athlete.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I can agree with all of this except for QB. I thought that Taquon looked worst of all the QBs by far. I would have loved to see Lucas Johnson play with the first team. I think Johnson is our only true QB. The other guys are just athletes playing QB. Not saying that is a bad thing, because that's what JT was... But none of these guys are a JT tier athlete.
Jay jones is pretty close, just a different type. I think the OL played a huge role in the QB's not playing well, and CPJ said after the game the guys played way better during the spring. Also JJ was on crutches the day before so that might have played somewhat into his play. JJ and LJ both have really strong arms. TM aid shifty but he missed some open pitches. Overall we are pretty talented at QB.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Hard to tell anything. I was Ok with all I saw but would like to see better play from the offensive Tackles ( Or one of them ) . I would like to see us the next few years sign 6-8 OL but that is just my opinion. But I do think our OL will be fine as long as no one gets hurt.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Anyone else think Jay Jones running style is like Lamar Jackson? (The way he holds the ball & glides)

We are loaded with talent at the skills positions, and our defense looks a lot more athletic(not even mentioning the studs in the recruiting class coming). Ted Roof please blitz this year.

Also looked like Simmons put on some good weight w/o losing speed, watch out ACC.

Mitchell also balled out, when going down hill and making plays he is a stud. Yet to see if he has improved in space and in coverage.

Look forward to spending my books money on an Orange Bowl ticket!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Anyone else think Jay Jones running style is like Lamar Jackson? (The way he holds the ball & glides)

We are loaded with talent at the skills positions, and our defense looks a lot more athletic(not even mentioning the studs in the recruiting class coming). Ted Roof please blitz this year.

Also looked like Simmons put on some good weight w/o losing speed, watch out ACC.

Mitchell also balled out, when going down hill and making plays he is a stud. Yet to see if he has improved in space and in coverage.

Look forward to spending my books money on an Orange Bowl ticket!
I can't believe you're settling for an orange bowl.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
MJ might not be in danger but I wouldn't go based off of this game. CPJ said they played a lot better during the spring, and I honestly doubt MJ would have done any better, that's not a hit on MJ but the D was in the backfield, for what seemed almost every play not much a QB can do with that. Besides that, good info and I agree.
Except the one thing he can do and none of the others tried: run the midline option. I kept watching for it and never saw it. That's not surprising, really; Taquan isn't a midline type and Jones and Johnson don't do their reads well enough to make it work yet. If Matthew had been healthy, we would have seen him run it with Mills in the first quarter. Then, of course, the game would have gone pretty much as it did.

As to Matthew's cast: I don't know what the injury was, but I'm guessing it was a broken bone. That should be ok in 4 weeks or so. We'll see.

A motley crew ---
upload_2017-4-22_11-24-25.jpeg

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Except the one thing he can do and none of the others tried: run the midline option. I kept watching for it and never saw it. That's not surprising, really; Taquan isn't a midline type and Jones and Johnson don't do their reads well enough to make it work yet. If Matthew had been healthy, we would have seen him run it with Mills in the first quarter. Then, of course, the game would have gone pretty much as it did.

As to Matthew's cast: I don't know what the injury was, but I'm guessing it was a broken bone. That should be ok in 4 weeks or so. We'll see.
I could be wrong but I thought I read 3 months.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

I didn't even see much veer in the first half (and I only watched the first half. NBA was on :)). As you said, though, that's probably because most of the QB's in this game aren't good enough with their reads yet for the tricky inside stuff.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
7 not on the roster but the announcer called Mark Rew at least twice but 88 and 56 played a lot and were also not on the roster. Anyone know who they are? Also when Bryan went out early a Gold Team member put on a plain white shirt and played RT on the White O. Was that Brad Morgan or?

The Gold O was better than I predicted with only two schlorship players (Stickler and S Morgan) on the OL with several walk-ons rotating at the other spots. They still had lots of trouble pass blocking.

The QBs really played poorly on the pitch, mostly because they would not pitch. Way too many QB possessions. Passing was erratic but showed lots of promise. Catchable balls were caught. The D had a lot of hustle and we seem to be 2 deep solid, even at DT. LB play seemed improved. We seem to be solid at every O and D position except very thin at OT. Field goal kicker was a pleasant surprise. We seemed to have some big play potential and with Jordan and Mills (and 2a and 2b) we have the March capability as well. It probably comes down to consistency on D and special teams.