Spring game talk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if his future is at qb. Hes dynamic as hell with the ball in his hand, but hes got a shotgun for an arm. Powerful but wild.
I really don't think he's that wild, all we have seen is one game, and most of his throws he had to throw while being pressured, add that in with not practicing all week and you can get some bad throws. Jmo.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Re watching the game now and one thing I noticed is the blocking from the skilled position guys, it looks like they have taken a step forward.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Really hoping Brandon Adams gets his conditioning good for the season opener, the dude clogs up so much on the D line and I haven't seen him being moved yet. Him and Branch would be nice in the middle.

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure you were following Tech back before CPJ. And not saying this player is like JJ he is faster. But I remember a QB 6-3 Damarius Bilbo who signed with Tech had a powerful arm but no one knew where it was going could throw it a mile. He ended up at WR but he was 6-3. Great guy and most everyone wanted to see on the field.
Couldn't remember the plays. Great athlete.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I really don't think he's that wild, all we have seen is one game, and most of his throws he had to throw while being pressured, add that in with not practicing all week and you can get some bad throws. Jmo.
ABSOLUTELY fair. I should have qualified my statement with "based upon a VERY small sample size".

I still sort of believe my eyes, because there was one throw in particular that required a touch pass, and he wasn't pressured, and he completely airmailed it. That said, it's true that this is one practice, and coach Johnson has seen a crapton more of him than I have.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Was it 2 year ago when Thomas was hurt and did not play the spring game, The QB's looked real bad, I think Byarly may have sat out the game also. I think Ty Griffin was the only one that looked ok.
This year was total opposite, projected starting QB out, but all other QB's looked pretty good. I think all the QB are ahead of where MJ was last spring, if he's leading for starting spot, shows how much he improved in one year. Can't wait to see how good Jones, Marshall, Johnson are after one more season.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Except the one thing he can do and none of the others tried: run the midline option. I kept watching for it and never saw it. That's not surprising, really; Taquan isn't a midline type and Jones and Johnson don't do their reads well enough to make it work yet. If Matthew had been healthy, we would have seen him run it with Mills in the first quarter. Then, of course, the game would have gone pretty much as it did.

As to Matthew's cast: I don't know what the injury was, but I'm guessing it was a broken bone. That should be ok in 4 weeks or so. We'll see.

Torn muscle. 3-4 months

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow

Jay also had a mild sprained ankle that happened during practice this past monday. CPJ and the Bedford and Demetra noted it as well. With a healthy set of wheels it would be interesting to see if JJ is more accurate. Until he gets the ball security under control I doubt he will see the field. LJ is light years ahead of him in the passing game though and did make a nice touch pass to the end zone yesterday if I remember correct. None had good pitches to the outside but I will say this, am I the only one who, even though TM was executing the offense, just thought how stagnant it looked and felt compared to when JJ and LJ were on the field?
What would have happened had LJ been with the #1s?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Jay also had a mild sprained ankle that happened during practice this past monday. CPJ and the Bedford and Demetra noted it as well. With a healthy set of wheels it would be interesting to see if JJ is more accurate. Until he gets the ball security under control I doubt he will see the field. LJ is light years ahead of him in the passing game though and did make a nice touch pass to the end zone yesterday if I remember correct. None had good pitches to the outside but I will say this, am I the only one who, even though TM was executing the offense, just thought how stagnant it looked and felt compared to when JJ and LJ were on the field?
I disagree that LJ is light years ahead of him, we've only seen one game, and a player on the team has already came out and said Jones is the best passer of the QB's, I've also spoken to someone who has watched spring practices and has backed that statement up. And CPJ in the post game audio said the security thing with Jones hasn't been that bad during the rest of the spring and brought up him not playing all week because of the injury. I think the reads from the guys were pretty poor at times, but I think part of it was the D was on them in a heartbeat, but they will have to step that up because that will happen in games.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

who knows. But I know this. Paul has yet to make a wrong decision at which QB to play. So its the last of my concerns from the standpoint of if the QB he picks is the right one.

The D is the real issue IMO. But I will save it for the season. What we do on O; does not expose the exact weaknesses of our D well. So its an impossible view to gauge our D or really our O to be honest. Which is I will hold off for the season.

I said this before...in our spring games its harder to gauge as much as other teams spring games with traditional college offenses on both sides of the ball....all I look at is individual talent and playmaking....I like what we have in alot of spots...team just needs to jell...