Spring Game Postgame Thread

But Purple is a CU color. Why would that have been stupid?
It would have been stupid to give out purple stuff for the orange and white game. It would have been stupid to give out green stuff for the ND blue and gold game. It was stupid to give out blue stuff for the Tech white and gold game. Just makes no sense. Why didn't they come up with an awesome looking souvenir shirt of the game in either white or gold (or some kind of combination) that said "2019 Georgia Tech White and Gold Game", and maybe other logos on the shirts? They could have given them to the band and students and sold them to the public. I would have bought one.

I don't think the shift out of Flexbone formation on the first play was a tribute at all, nor do I think it was a dig (see my second comment). The crowd's reaction made it come off like a dig. Personally, I don't think it was a good idea, mostly because of what the crowd's reaction could possibly have been.
I and those sitting around me loved it. I definitely thought it was a tribute, and IIRC, Collins said that he meant it that way.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It would have been stupid to give out purple stuff for the orange and white game. It would have been stupid to give out green stuff for the ND blue and gold game. It was stupid to give out blue stuff for the Tech white and gold game. Just makes no sense. Why didn't they come up with an awesome looking souvenir shirt of the game in either white or gold (or some kind of combination) that said "2019 Georgia Tech White and Gold Game", and maybe other logos on the shirts? They could have given them to the band and students and sold them to the public. I would have bought one.

Hey Supersize - here's a timeline of "The Shirt" that Notre Dame produces annually, designed by students, to raise money for student charities.

https://theshirt.nd.edu/history/timeline/

Go tell them how it's stupid to use green so many times, as they rotate the color annually.

By the way, the use of the term "stupid" is very caustic. I'm sure you'd make a lot of headway with the powers that be if you put it to them in that manner. What kind of juice do you have with the GTAA powers that be, anyway?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I and those sitting around me loved it. I definitely thought it was a tribute, and IIRC, Collins said that he meant it that way.

No way was it a tribute. The staff has been clear that this program is moving in a new direction and away from the 3-O is a big part of that. Whether it’s intended as a dig or just more reinforcement of change is open to personal interpretation.

Hey Supersize - here's a timeline of "The Shirt" that Notre Dame produces annually, designed by students, to raise money for student charities.

https://theshirt.nd.edu/history/timeline/

Go tell them how it's stupid to use green so many times, as they rotate the color annually.

By the way, the use of the term "stupid" is very caustic. I'm sure you'd make a lot of headway with the powers that be if you put it to them in that manner. What kind of juice do you have with the GTAA powers that be, anyway?
I didn't say anything about what ND distributes during the season. I said that I doubt that they distributed green shirts, or any green stuff, for the BLUE AND GOLD GAME. How had is that for you to understand?
You should know by now from my posts that I don't hold back on how I think, so I wouldn't have any problem telling the "powers that be" that it was a stupid move on their part. I don't have any "juice" with the GTAA powers that be anyway, so why should I worry about the way I tell them something, if I tell them something?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Diverse is good, but crap is just crap.

My wife told my 21yo that must be the music your generation likes. Apparently it must be popular somewhere but not with anyone she hangs with.

I’m willing to be that a lot of people would say the same about some of the music you listen to and I listen to. The part about it being crap. It’s crap to you.

However, as I said elsewhere, my 15 year old, who is friends with many of the football players on her HS team, some of whom have had recent recruiting visits to GT, absolutely LOVE it.

I am quite certain that our coaches know exactly the kind of music that resonates with the players on the team and the recruits. Does that mean that every players loves every song? Of course not. I’m sure there’s a few who like country music as well as classic rock and 80s/90s and the stuff they play on Hits 1 on SiriusXM. I’m not asking you to like it. Hell I didn’t like the music, either. But it wasn’t playing for me. And the game wasn’t for me. I was there to show out for the players and recruits that GT fans appreciate them and are excited about the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
No way was it a tribute. The staff has been clear that this program is moving in a new direction and away from the 3-O is a big part of that. Whether it’s intended as a dig or just more reinforcement of change is open to personal interpretation.

Why does anyone care about this? Seriously? I’m not criticizing you. I just don’t get why it’s important.

But since you asked (just kidding)... I didn’t take it as a tribute nor an intended insult to the previous regime. I thought it was pretty clearly a way to say to the players and the recruits that things have changed. I would be stunned if anyone on our staff felt the need to insult our previous staff and I think it’s ridiculous to think it was intended to be so. But certainly it was meant to call out the change.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I didn't say anything about what ND distributes during the season. I said that I doubt that they distributed green shirts, or any green stuff, for the BLUE AND GOLD GAME. How had is that for you to understand?
You should know by now from my posts that I don't hold back on how I think, so I wouldn't have any problem telling the "powers that be" that it was a stupid move on their part. I don't have any "juice" with the GTAA powers that be anyway, so why should I worry about the way I tell them something, if I tell them something?

Well, that shirt is what's sold every season, beginning with their Spring game, as an official shirt to wear to football games. Not sure ND really needs to give away free shirts.

Well, when you're trying to effect change, it's helpful to take a more even-toned approach in gathering consensus and approaching decision makers. Based on what you said, it would appear you're more interested in being blustery on the internet than effecting change in the mindset of decision makers.

Is that what you're interested in? Being blustery on the internet?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Regarding the music, my daughter was tasked with creating playlists for my son’s high school baseball team and each players walk up music the players chose. The parents whined all season and some even tried to intimidate a 16 year old girl for what the boys chose. When I walked in the stadium I had heard every song throughout baseball season (clean versions). I just laughed. If that’s what stud recruits want then give it to them all day!

As for the style difference we are seeing and the first play formation - I love CPJ and his old school kick you in the mouth style. Watching his Southern days was like watching a Marino or Jordan at their best. But all things have a shelf life and CPJ recognized a change was needed for himself. Johnson and Collins are very similar and this is why I like both of them - they believe in their plan and are full steam ahead in their system. No doubt the systems are different, but they have a lot in common regarding philosophy. The fact that Collins did what he did on that first play is part of his plan no different than when CPJ came out on his first play. I’m glad we have a coach who is “all in” on his philosophy. Nothing could have been worse than getting a milk toast type of coach who would have tried something different every season. CPJ and CGC were and are “all in” in what they believe and success usually follows those types of people.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
If Tech started playing mostly country music many would complain. Play a lot of rap and pop and many will complain. Play old school rock or metal and many will complain.

Let just the band play. Not many will complain. 2 cents.

If you let just the band play, you'll hear Mo Bamba and 4 other songs all game. Anything by itself is repetitive (like the music at the spring game). I'm sure they'll have a nice mix on gamedays.

Animal02

Banned
I’m willing to be that a lot of people would say the same about some of the music you listen to and I listen to. The part about it being crap. It’s crap to you.

However, as I said elsewhere, my 15 year old, who is friends with many of the football players on her HS team, some of whom have had recent recruiting visits to GT, absolutely LOVE it.

I am quite certain that our coaches know exactly the kind of music that resonates with the players on the team and the recruits. Does that mean that every players loves every song? Of course not. I’m sure there’s a few who like country music as well as classic rock and 80s/90s and the stuff they play on Hits 1 on SiriusXM. I’m not asking you to like it. Hell I didn’t like the music, either. But it wasn’t playing for me. And the game wasn’t for me. I was there to show out for the players and recruits that GT fans appreciate them and are excited about the program.

And right there is a good example of going in the wrong direction. Football, and every other sport is an entertainment....i.e PAYING customers. Everything should be focused on getting more butts in seats, not "what the entertainers want" Their compensation is the scholarship and ultimately a degree. Their focus should be on winning games, not what frikkin music is being played in the stands.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
And right there is a good example of going in the wrong direction. Football, and every other sport is an entertainment....i.e PAYING customers. Everything should be focused on getting more butts in seats, not "what the entertainers want" Their compensation is the scholarship and ultimately a degree. Their focus should be on winning games, not what frikkin music is being played in the stands.

Do you hear yourself? "Focus should be on winning games" and then not caring "what the entertainers want." Wow. Can you show any more disdain for the players?

But let's break down how to focus on winning. This isn't rocket science. It really isn't. You get the best players you can and you get the best coaches you can. The administration went out and feels it got the best coaches. Now the coaches have to coach and go out and get the best players. And guess how you do that? You make the environment they are in one that they are excited to be in. One they WANT to play in. One they WANT to work their tails off in.

Well, that shirt is what's sold every season, beginning with their Spring game, as an official shirt to wear to football games. Not sure ND really needs to give away free shirts.

Well, when you're trying to effect change, it's helpful to take a more even-toned approach in gathering consensus and approaching decision makers. Based on what you said, it would appear you're more interested in being blustery on the internet than effecting change in the mindset of decision makers.

Is that what you're interested in? Being blustery on the internet?
I doubt that ND has to give away free shirts either, but I imagine the fans and students know that, if they have one, they should probably wear either blue or gold to the blue and gold game.
I am what I am, as far as how I appear on this site. I am what you call "blustery" among friends and fellow church members; some like and appreciate it, while others don't. You may find this hard to believe, but those who like it REALLY like it, because there's never any doubt where I stand. At the same time, I'm not stupid; I know when (if) to reel it in. One of my friends (fellow church member) told me a long time ago that I was the greatest encourager he had ever known. Of course it helped that he and I agreed on pretty much everything, so it wasn't hard to encourage him.....LOL I DO think that whoever made the decision to provide blue shirts for the White and Gold game showed either a lack of knowledge (stupid) or just didn't give a damn, just as I think the person who designed the blue Gator Bowl shirts when when we played Kentucky (sometimes referred to as Ole Blue) didn't know or didn't care.

Milwaukee

Banned

I love how there's the 4 or 5 people taking offense. And now you're the 6th person in that gang I guess LMAO. Poor guy.

its-not-a-lie-if-you-believe-it-lochtelogic-19634573.png

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
A few thoughts:

I don't think the shift out of Flexbone formation on the first play was a tribute at all, nor do I think it was a dig (see my second comment). The crowd's reaction made it come off like a dig. Personally, I don't think it was a good idea, mostly because of what the crowd's reaction could possibly have been. Regardless of the fanbase's readiness to move on, CPJ should be thanked for what he was able to do here. Now that it is here, I am ready for the new era and I am willing to embrace all that comes with it. There are a lot of ways to play good football.

I am glad you posted this, I thought it was a slap in the face of CPJ and his system. CGC has big shoes to fill. As a fan, I really hope it works out, but I could do without the digs against a system and a Coach that helped us win an ACC title.

Animal02

Banned
Do you hear yourself? "Focus should be on winning games" and then not caring "what the entertainers want." Wow. Can you show any more disdain for the players?

But let's break down how to focus on winning. This isn't rocket science. It really isn't. You get the best players you can and you get the best coaches you can. The administration went out and feels it got the best coaches. Now the coaches have to coach and go out and get the best players. And guess how you do that? You make the environment they are in one that they are excited to be in. One they WANT to play in. One they WANT to work their tails off in.
Will mean nothing playing in front of an empty stadium, or a red one come the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The environment you create that is "best" is the weight rooms, meal service, tutors etc. NOT which music is playing at game time.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Will mean nothing playing in front of an empty stadium, or a red one come the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The environment you create that is "best" is the weight rooms, meal service, tutors etc. NOT which music is playing at game time.

So you're saying that if the players are on the field that you're not going to come because the coaches chose to play music the kids like at the spring game (I know that isn't what you're saying, that was meant as a rhetorical question)? This isn't something we're going to see during the actual games, you realize? The Spring Game is to generate excitement for the fans as well but primarily, especially this year, it was to accentuate the point that GT football is not what you (meaning the recruits, not the fans) think it has been. It was about changing the perception and setting a new expectation. I didn't pay for a ticket to get into the Spring Game and GT made parking available to me for free. They even gave me a poster and a wrist band (in gold and white). It's like I was invited to come see the team practice. When they step out onto the field for an actual game my expectations of my role there is different and I would be far more understanding of folks complaining about things like the music.