Spring Game Postgame Thread

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have no idea what the results were from the ND B&G game.
Juice ??? They were blue shirts with a few logos on them. There was nothing juicy about them at all. They would have looked the same, if not better, had they been white or gold. but at least white or gold would have been representative of the occasion. Blue was not, nor would any other color have been. As far as their being "in demand," hell, man, ANYTHING free is "in demand."

Oh. You misunderstood the occasion. White & Gold only referred to the color of each squad lining up on the field. You know. White squad vs. Gold squad.

Nothing else was ever requested. It was left up to the individual in attendance.

Oh. You misunderstood the occasion. White & Gold only referred to the color of each squad lining up on the field. You know. White squad vs. Gold squad.

Nothing else was ever requested. It was left up to the individual in attendance.
As I have already said several times, the individuals in attendance could wear whatever they damn well wanted to wear. I am only talking about what the school (GTAA) provided for the band and students, and if the two teams on the field are wearing white and gold exclusively, then the free stuff given out should also have been either white or gold, and not blue. What is so damn hard to understand or accept about that?

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Noticed on second watch that a lot of the success was scripted. There were reads that the QBs were supposed to make, basically wide open guys by design, and some that looked like jump balls. I really like the mix of WWE, hip hop, and social media / gimmick marketing. I guess Mullen does some of this, but we are looking at a unique *brand*.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't say a thing about the fans or anybody else involved. I simply said that if they are going to sell a "White and Gold Game", then they ought to support that nomenclature, and not dilute it with extraneous crap.
The entire spring game event was an absolute success by any objective measure. Observe the size of the crowd, the attendance by students, and the unanimous praise on social media especially by recruits.
From reading these boards it’s obvious no one will ever change your mind on anything but you should try not being such a curmudgeon so often.

The entire spring game event was an absolute success by any objective measure. Observe the size of the crowd, the attendance by students, and the unanimous praise on social media especially by recruits.
From reading these boards it’s obvious no one will ever change your mind on anything but you should try not being such a curmudgeon so often.
I'm sure the ND Blue and Gold game and the Clemson Orange and White games were total successes too, but the marketing people at those two schools were not STUPID enough to distribute free green (ND) or purple (Clemson) shirts to their bands or fans. Yes, Friday night was a rousing success, but STUPID marketing decisions at Tech is one of the things that differentiate us from the current "big boys" in college sports. My gripe about the shirts has nothing whatsoever to do with my notable distaste for blue; it's all about the marketing people at Tech using some common sense for a change. Is that asking too much? If you think so, or if you think it really doesn't matter, fine; so be it. But I want Tech to be the best and do the best and look the best in every possible way, and stupid marketing decisions don't get us there.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I get that WRs want to catch the football, but Sanders should have kept that to himself. He was lightly recruited until CPJ found him. He'd probably be catching passes at Western Carolina had it not been for CPJ. He knew what he signed up for when he came here. Not a good look to complain about the previous system that got him here.

Your statement is true no doubt but what struck me as I watched all the post game player availability interviews was how young they are. Either I’m feeling really old or they look like kids. Other players weren’t so direct but even Curry and Thomas expressed pleasure that they were in a new scheme with both saying they were more prepared by going against this offense in practice. L. Johnson and Graham also gave the impression they prefer the new system. All also seemed pumped about this entire new coaching staff. I would imagine that if you have been a WR at Tech it feels like Christmas morning now. I think context matters in his statement, in the same paragraph Sanders also said that they use to run two WR sets the entire game and block 90% of the time now 3,4 or even 5 will be on the field for every play. You could also tell they’ve been told to tamp down public comments about the old system, Mason just about fell out of his chair when Sanders was making his “glad to be playing” comments.

I’ve always been a CPJ guy but I think it’s clear what the players think.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I get that WRs want to catch the football, but Sanders should have kept that to himself. He was lightly recruited until CPJ found him. He'd probably be catching passes at Western Carolina had it not been for CPJ. He knew what he signed up for when he came here. Not a good look to complain about the previous system that got him here.

Depends on what he was told that brought them to GT.

64jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm so damn sick and tired of going on this site and hearing about the colors we wear. Its the same OLD posters. Hell it's so sad . This is GT football site !!!!! I dont give a damn what color we wear i would like to talk and get up dates on GT football. So PLEASE weman for the love of God stop talking about this. Hell I'm not even drinking and I posted this.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Carter Dolphus
Sanders Jackson
Camp Norris
Brown Ezzard
Cottrell Owens
Burnett Anderson

That’s a large group of WR’s. I saw promise out on the field. Couple that with how the secondary plays press man coverage and this group will get really strong.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
After watching again.
LJ doesn’t scramble around in the backfield. His eyes are always looking downfield and he moves in and up in the pocket looking and reading the defense. He’s not just bolting when one read isn’t there, he’s scanning the field even as the pocket collapses. Showed patience in the pocket. He’s a straight pocket quarterback that can run.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
After watching again.
LJ doesn’t scramble around in the backfield. His eyes are always looking downfield and he moves in and up in the pocket looking and reading the defense. He’s not just bolting when one read isn’t there, he’s scanning the field even as the pocket collapses.

You should watch his HS film. Really good at making sure he's in a position to deliver the ball with his feet set when evading rushers.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
You should watch his HS film. Really good at making sure he's in a position to deliver the ball with his feet set when evading rushers.

His high school film was impressive. Couldn’t figure out why he was so lowly rated. Still don’t. Anyway I’d love to watch a breakdown of him from the spring game.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure the ND Blue and Gold game and the Clemson Orange and White games were total successes too, but the marketing people at those two schools were not STUPID enough to distribute free green (ND) or purple (Clemson) shirts to their bands or fans. Yes, Friday night was a rousing success, but STUPID marketing decisions at Tech is one of the things that differentiate us from the current "big boys" in college sports. My gripe about the shirts has nothing whatsoever to do with my notable distaste for blue; it's all about the marketing people at Tech using some common sense for a change. Is that asking too much? If you think so, or if you think it really doesn't matter, fine; so be it. But I want Tech to be the best and do the best and look the best in every possible way, and stupid marketing decisions don't get us there.

But Purple is a CU color. Why would that have been stupid?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A few thoughts:
I like the all gold look with white letters. I don't know why. Bottom line: I really don't care what we wear.

Spring game was an infomercial, nothing more, and I am not saying there is anything wrong with that. The entire purpose was (or appeared to be) to show recruit-land that we are different now. It was like watching the NBA all-star game for me. I left at half time, not because I was upset, but rather, there was some real competition going on at 5th and Fowler with the Tiggers and I wanted to see the end of that game. Glad I did.

We simply can't read too much into the results from the night. The defense was so vanilla that it made all reads easy and most plays happen "on time" if you will.

I don't think the shift out of Flexbone formation on the first play was a tribute at all, nor do I think it was a dig (see my second comment). The crowd's reaction made it come off like a dig. Personally, I don't think it was a good idea, mostly because of what the crowd's reaction could possibly have been. Regardless of the fanbase's readiness to move on, CPJ should be thanked for what he was able to do here. Now that it is here, I am ready for the new era and I am willing to embrace all that comes with it. There are a lot of ways to play good football.

What can we take away from the game? Well, a few things:

The QBs have all the physical tools required to play in this offense. The QBs left in the program don't look at all like they are throwing with the opposite hand, like many great option QBs from the olden days. We have at least three guys (and one on the way this fall) who are physically able to make all the required throws. We will also have at least four QBs who are a true run threat. Remember, that UVA QB and what problems he presented?

At WR we actually do have a couple guys who can stretch the field with speed and a couple who can high point the football. Our DBs were not asked "not to cover" and they had a tough time out there. Staying in the base D should have allowed them to play fast and guys were still getting open. That bodes well.

Personally, I think we are more than fine at RB.

Usually, when you look down the OL of a team who runs this kind of offense, you see a lot more length (of body) than we have. I don't know how problematic that is going to become when the bullets start flying. Pass blocking and picking up blitzes and stunts are aided greatly by length. I will say this though, even though we were squatting on our heels, we still got after it pretty well in the run blocking phase. We will run more than we showed Friday night.

On defense, there are questions all over the front 7. I have no idea what is going there. CGC's forte is defensive football. He has his hands full right now.