Spring Competition

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I guess... I'm excited to see our 3rd and long packages this season. If it were me
DE- Simmons
DT- Gamble
DT- Rook
DE- Anree
Sam-Freeman
Mike- Mitchell
Nickel- Austin/Curry
CB- Austin
S- Gray
S- Griffin
CB- Simmons/Dotson
I wouldn't mind that, only thing I would change is having Durham over Austin at CB and I think the juco transfer branch or woods can play in passing downs if they prove themselfs of course, those guys imo can actually play all three downs. I'm also not sure how freeman would do in coverage but that's just because I have never seen it, bridges might do well in coverage though. I love griffin at safety, kid is looking to make big hits.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't mind that, only thing I would change is having Durham over Austin at CB and I think the juco transfer branch or woods can play in passing downs if they prove themselfs of course, those guys imo can actually play all three downs. I'm also not sure how freeman would do in coverage but that's just because I have never seen it, bridges might do well in coverage though. I love griffin at safety, kid is looking to make big hits.
Don't count out Josh White either. Kid is a natural pass rusher

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
What are the chances Freeman moves to LB? Is this even being considered by the coaches or just speculation?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What are the chances Freeman moves to LB? Is this even being considered by the coaches or just speculation?
Probably just speculation, maybe they would try it if he straight up got outbeat at DE and the coaches thought he was still to good to keep off the feild.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The problem with moving people around (like Freeman to LB, or Marshall to AB) is that there has to be someone who can do the job better than them. For the past few years, we all knew Gotsis was a better SDE than DT because every time he lined up there he was wrecking the offensive backfield. Unfortunately, he was also our best DT so we didn't have the luxury of moving him around as much as we should have. Freeman had a "down" year compared to his freshmen season, but if no one could beat him out, do you really want them there?

You can question our recruiting, but I'm sure the coaches who see the players every day in practice know who should and should not be playing and where guys should be playing. Coaches are going to play the best 11. Also, like the case with Lynn Griffin, the players have to want to play where the coaches move them. CPJ said he's wanted to move Griffin to AB for years now, but Griffin wanted to stay at DB. It took the unfortunate string of injuries for Griffin to finally move there, but he's probably going to be a big factor at AB going forward.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Benson is not a BB but an AB he 5"8 180 pounds, so your prediction will be just as off as yours for whitehead lol :D.

I will admit I though whithead was going to have a good year last year though.
You are correct about his last listed weight but he played his sr year at 190-195 lbs until the acl injury . I would love to know if he has packed it back on or not. I know there was discussions about his ability to handle either positions. Then again I was Whiteheads biggest fan!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Recent word here had Benson at 215 and Coach has referred to him as a BB ("We have three BBs (only way that works is if Benson is at BB) coming back this spring."). I think he starts there, but I expect a lot of shifting around between AB and BB this spring. I'm not sure where anybody will end up except that Quaid will be at BB. After that, who knows?

One thing: every body seems to forget about the young man slated to start at BB coming out of spring last year. That'd be C. J. Leggett and my guess is that he hasn't changed all that much except to get bigger. I don't know if he'll end up as part of the two-headed monster, but that would be a smart bet.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
If I'm not mistaken, he was ready at mid-season last year. My guess = with Allen and Skov to back up Marshall, Coach didn't see a need to blow Quaid's red-shirt. I felt for Quaid; he was out there in every O huddle before we took the field, straining at the leash like a blue-tick hound on the scent. But no soap.

Like I said, I think he gets his innings starting next season.
thanks

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Recent word here had Benson at 215 and Coach has referred to him as a BB ("We have three BBs (only way that works is if Benson is at BB) coming back this spring."). I think he starts there, but I expect a lot of shifting around between AB and BB this spring. I'm not sure where anybody will end up except that Quaid will be at BB. After that, who knows?

One thing: every body seems to forget about the young man slated to start at BB coming out of spring last year. That'd be C. J. Leggett and my guess is that he hasn't changed all that much except to get bigger. I don't know if he'll end up as part of the two-headed monster, but that would be a smart bet.

I like Leggett but leg injuries for RUNNERS can be BIG problems.Same deal with Cottrell.Is he healed ?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
.... This is going to be a angry pissed off group of young men. I would not want to be a DL this spring.
I don't imagine you could log into here under a different name and tell us what the h..e..double hockey sticks happened last year, could you? :)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
CPJ may have meant Leggett, Quaide and Marshall?
I don't think so. He specifically mentioned " … getting 3 BBs back" and Marshall played last year. I also saw Benson several times during the season on the sidelines. Who was he hanging with? C. J. Leggett and, every now and then, Quaid.

But, like I say, I expect a lot of movement between AB and BB this spring. Except for Quaid, I'm not sure where anybody will end up.