Spring Competition

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess that has been settled since Campbell is out for the spring after having wrist surgery.

Keshun is a tough call. Personally, I would like for him to get work at SLB, especially with 4 of the 6 teams being 21 personnel power football teams. Plus I'm all for getting the best 11 on the field, so it would be great if we can get Keshun, Simmons, Anree on the field at the same time.

Interested in the middle of our team. QB & C is set, but BBack is loaded not much separation. Still thinks MMarshall #1. Defense is a whole different matter. Are we going to go the loyalty route and place Kallon at 1st team NT? Did KCH do enough to get the nod? Brant did a great job last season but, a LB is only as good as his running mates. Will PJ step up his game up because I felt he regressed a lot? At Safety, most would agree we have a stud in Gray, but very unsure about FS. Will Corey Griffin step up or will Jalen be the ranging safety that will limit the big plays? A lot of questions not many answers

Oline probably has the best competition. Who will have the biggest impact the quickest: Sewak or West? This the biggest determinant on whether this upcoming season will be 8-11 wins or <6 wins.

Would you run less nickel to get Keshun in as an OLB, or would you play him alongside PJ in our essentially 2 LB sets?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
OL at the start of spring practice. Klock, Devine, Marshall, Griffin, Bryan . Burden is out for spring practice.
Wow. 6'6 285lb guard.

Flea, thoughts on this one? I figured your boy would be the one to move inside as he's an a$$kicker at drive blocking.

Edit: Just looked on another site, and they have a thread about how Griffin appears to have significantly bulked up.

Last edited:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
ilove, I have been waiting impatiently for a long time to see Cottrell. We'll have to wait longer still. I read not too long ago that his rehab in not far enough along for him to practice in the spring. It'll be August.

Again, I don't think any player coming of a fall knee injury would be cleared for spring ball if for no other reason than protective

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
JT is a lock. Beyond that I honestly think it is wide open. Even though we have good players whom one would assume would be a lock, I think this year it is team chemistry and who wants it more will be the final determining factor. Forgive the cliches thrown in there. I have thrown out my a totally random rambling illustrating that I have no clue how the depth chart will fill out this year. I have put in bold the players that I personally want to keep an eye on, just because they seem critical to the overall team chemistry. They may or may not be favorite players of mine. Cottrell was a favorite of mine but he has yet to do anything so I can't say that his development is critical the way I think it is for the guys I have put in bold. Hope that makes some sense.

I see wide receiver as wide open. It is doubtful any of the freshman start unless they catch on real fast to this offense but the position is so wide open that anyone who steps up could make an impact including Anderson or Dolphus. But I tend to doubt this will happen. I like Philpott and Jeune as starters but they could just as easily be beaten out by Stewart, Campbell and Howell.

Running back is flat crazy. Both position groups are loaded with players and some of these can play either position. A-backs that look ahead of the field, in my opinion, are Willis, Searcy, Lynch. Those that show promise or have potential are Jarrett, Cottrell, Green, Lands-Davis and Benson. B-back could include someone like Mills but most likely will be Marshall. There is also the question of where Leggett plays. Weimerskirch was another player that looked like a lock until injury. Allen will either take over significant time or be passed over by several players.

On DL I do not see anyone being a lock. I cannot even handicap this position because someone with an extra year of development might make a huge jump in their performance, not unlike the way Days did at B-back in 2014. Those who might really take a jump up would be Simmons, Kallon, Henderson and Saint-Amour. Keshun's performance last year was a puzzle to me and I don't know what to expect from him this year. Guys that I am intrigued about because one of them might just be ready to step in and make a difference are Adams, Woods and Branch.

For the rest of the defense I am anxious to see how Gray and Alexander develop. The Austin Twins are solid. Is Durham still on the team?

On OL, I think the guys who played last year have the edge but someone like Braun might come and in be ready to contribute. This is the year for Devine. He either fulfills his promise or he does not start.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Wow. 6'6 285lb guard.

Flea, thoughts on this one? I figured your boy would be the one to move inside as he's an a$$kicker at drive blocking.

Edit: Just looked on another site, and they have a thread about how Griffin appears to have significantly bulked up.

Flea would know better than me. I like wb either as at guard = he goes low with out flopping and at tackle he can cut as well as block well down field= he is athletic.
If he has added weight / strength as reported he should be ready to do damage.
I would like to see the best olineman at rg. (Strong drive block a must and needs to be able to pull to lead a counter play ).

Maybe it is griffin based on drive,but wb or klock are sure fast.
I have high hopes for oline this year = faster off oline yet having some punch.
Last year after the snap, there was too much action on our side of the line of scrimmage. Hope the new ol coach teaches our guys how to legally hold!

MtownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I guess that has been settled since Campbell is out for the spring after having wrist surgery.

Keshun is a tough call. Personally, I would like for him to get work at SLB, especially with 4 of the 6 teams being 21 personnel power football teams. Plus I'm all for getting the best 11 on the field, so it would be great if we can get Keshun, Simmons, Anree on the field at the same time.

Interested in the middle of our team. QB & C is set, but BBack is loaded not much separation. Still thinks MMarshall #1. Defense is a whole different matter. Are we going to go the loyalty route and place Kallon at 1st team NT? Did KCH do enough to get the nod? Brant did a great job last season but, a LB is only as good as his running mates. Will PJ step up his game up because I felt he regressed a lot? At Safety, most would agree we have a stud in Gray, but very unsure about FS. Will Corey Griffin step up or will Jalen be the ranging safety that will limit the big plays? A lot of questions not many answers

Oline probably has the best competition. Who will have the biggest impact the quickest: Sewak or West? This the biggest determinant on whether this upcoming season will be 8-11 wins or <6 wins.

PJ Davis is soooooo bad in coverage, especially zone. But hard to see him being uprooted.

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan

Jalen who at FS! We have 2 to 3 jalen playing this year! Yes, they should move keshun OLB I think it would be a great fit for him. Going to interesting this spring can't wait.