Spring Competition

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Any news on how Quaid is healing up?
If I'm not mistaken, he was ready at mid-season last year. My guess = with Allen and Skov to back up Marshall, Coach didn't see a need to blow Quaid's red-shirt. I felt for Quaid; he was out there in every O huddle before we took the field, straining at the leash like a blue-tick hound on the scent. But no soap.

Like I said, I think he gets his innings starting next season.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Imo AB should be one of the biggest competition spots this year.
Willis, lands-Davis, lynch, cottrell, green, marshall, Searcy, plus robertson if we land him. This could end up being the best group of AB'S we have had at GT from a depth stand point. We also have benson, and Jarrett that will be able to fight for playing time.

OL should be the same way with Devine, klock, Bryan, burden (when he returns), griffin (coming off of injury), imo these are our best 5 plus we have a solid group of other guys who could step up and push for a starting job along with some incoming freshman.

QB will be Thomas

BB: marshall, and Quaide could be days, laskey 2.0 but don't sleep on the incoming freshman mills, plus allen will be pushing for playing time.

WR: imo June will be a lock but the other WR spot will be wide open. Philpott is going to be my sleeper pick to start though, he was injured last year so he didn't really get a shot. Howell, and stewart will be in the race of course.

at DT I'm going with Cerge-Henderson, and Gambel, but kallon should also push for being a starter, and the freshman adams if he is in shape ( I have heard talk that's the big thing with him)

DE is a tricky one for me, I don't think freeman is safe as a starter but he will have to be beaten out of course, it should be a stiff competition with two signess wanting a starting spot in freshman woods, and sophomore transfer branch. Rock-chungong, and Simmons will be in that mix aswell. I would like to see freeman moved to LB and go big at both WDE and SDE. Oh and I can't forget about saint-amour.

LB will be fun to watch, Davis, and Mitchell will be the starters I think, but Alexander, and incoming freshman bridges will be stiff competition imo, but you never know there are some other guys who might step up and suprise.

CB will be Durham, and Simmons ( I haven't seen him play yet but he's been in two different college programs now, and has long arms with good size) lance Austin will get some playing time as well and the other guys should give each other good competition.

Nickel will be between Lawrence Austin, Lynn (if moved back to D), and curry ( if that's where they have him playing?)

Safety only has one guy I think that will be a lock and that's Gray. Griffin, and kagawa are two guys I think will compete along with others for that second safety spot.

Imo GT football has a chance for a good 2 deep this year.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="tech_wreck47, post: 211054, member: 2346"
at DT I'm going with Cerge-Henderson, and Gambel, but kallon should also push for being a starter ....[/QUOTE]

Been waiting on this for a while. He's out of time to make something happen. If the light doesn't go on for him by the end of spring practice, he might get passed by some freshmen.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="tech_wreck47, post: 211054, member: 2346"
at DT I'm going with Cerge-Henderson, and Gambel, but kallon should also push for being a starter ....

Been waiting on this for a while. He's out of time to make something happen. If the light doesn't go on for him by the end of spring practice, he might get passed by some freshmen.[/QUOTE]

Francis played better toward the end of the year, it's going to be fun to how he progresses through the spring and fall. He has the physical tools, just needs to put it all together.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited about the Morgan twins!!! Big dudes that have a mean streak. Watch out for the DL Morgan to get serious reps.
I can see that happening, did you see one of them after the tug of war? His face was all business and no play lol, not sure which one it was though.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
It would not surprise me if Scott Morgan makes it into the rotation on DL, maybe even before Adams and we see Adams RS.
I would think the JC transfer might make it into the rotation also. Just have to see with Glanton. All IMO of course, because other than Gamble and maybe Chungong, the rest is all speculation.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
It would not surprise me if Scott Morgan makes it into the rotation on DL, maybe even before Adams and we see Adams RS.
I would think the JC transfer might make it into the rotation also. Just have to see with Glanton. All IMO of course, because other than Gamble and maybe Chungong, the rest is all speculation.
Really like Gamble at the SDE spot. Gives us a big body with ultra athleticism. A line with Gamble at SDE, gives us the chance to platoon our whole interior. IMO that is key for our defensive line to be productive. We don't necessarily have the beasts we need, but if we keep our guys fresh, they can be just as effective, if not more.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
When it comes to film, I believe the ceiling is highest for Marshall, Benson and Mills to step up at the BBack position. If some of you are correct in your thoughts about Q being in the rotation, Mills is outstanding as a LB. Just don't sleep on the Benson Kid. He is a short, thick, powerful kid who also was a state sprint champ. A lot of players become blog heroes without stepping on the field. I have to remind myself that I had whitehead with 10 sacks on paper before the season started!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Really like Gamble at the SDE spot. Gives us a big body with ultra athleticism. A line with Gamble at SDE, gives us the chance to platoon our whole interior. IMO that is key for our defensive line to be productive. We don't necessarily have the beasts we need, but if we keep our guys fresh, they can be just as effective, if not more.
That should be the coaching philosophy . Players will come to gt if they believe they will get playing time. Gt

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I like him there aswell, but I believe CPJ said he's a more natural DT, not because of his size,but because of technique I'm assuming.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I like him there aswell, but I believe CPJ said he's a more natural DT, not because of his size,but because of technique I'm assuming.
I guess... I'm excited to see our 3rd and long packages this season. If it were me
DE- Simmons
DT- Gamble
DT- Rook
DE- Anree
Sam-Freeman
Mike- Mitchell
Nickel- Austin/Curry
CB- Austin
S- Gray
S- Griffin
CB- Simmons/Dotson

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
When it comes to film, I believe the ceiling is highest for Marshall, Benson and Mills to step up at the BBack position. If some of you are correct in your thoughts about Q being in the rotation, Mills is outstanding as a LB. Just don't sleep on the Benson Kid. He is a short, thick, powerful kid who also was a state sprint champ. A lot of players become blog heroes without stepping on the field. I have to remind myself that I had whitehead with 10 sacks on paper before the season started!
Benson is not a BB but an AB he 5"8 180 pounds, so your prediction will be just as off as yours for whitehead lol :D.

I will admit I though whithead was going to have a good year last year though.